• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Hey Everyone, few questions from a returning player! (some 105+, comp, sub) (1 Viewer)

rigo86

RedCents
400¢
Hey everyone! So, like the title says, I'm a returning player, last time I played a whole lot was back in EOK and I was doing a TON of boxing. I started Alt-Tab Boxing with just a chanter/mage duo and now I have (I think) 6 accounts, most with 1 or 2 105+s. What I know I have for sure at 105 with decent EOK gear is ENC, SK, MAG, WIZ, Zerk. The last thing I was working on leveling was a cleric, but I checked and it didn't make it too far lol. So, here are the questions:

First of all, does that comp work overall all the way to 115+? If there was changes you guys would make, let me know what they would be please. My thinking on this comp starts with the original 2 box, MAG/ENC, I figured pet tank with 2 free healer mercs or tank/heal would make a fun 2 box before I started using MQ. Pretty sure I worked with a healer/tank merc all the way to 105 or so back in EOK. Once I hit 105 and started wanting to do harder content and using MQ2 more with KA, I decided I wanted to fill out my group more until where it's at now. I think pretty much all of the characters have pretty obvious reasons to be in group, but it made sense to me, SK as group content tank, ENC haste/slow/CC/Mana, mage for CoH and good DPS/BackUp tank, wiz was for evac and nukes mostly, and zerk was just some raw DPS. So, all that being said, I've considered swapping the ENC with a bard, I currently pull with my ENC since it was the first toon I started playing but I've thought maybe a bard would make for a better puller and still be able to fill all the roles the enc was filling before. As for the last slot in the party, I assume I should fill it with a cleric, but I'm open to suggestions.

Secondly, how many of these characters do I need to pop Kronos on? I have like 9mpp, so I can afford to sub a few but I'm light on cash, so the fewer I can sub at a time the better so I can afford to keep that toon subbed as long as needed. That being said, I've seen there's a wave of these cool class based plugins, the CWTN ones primarily and I was wondering, first, how much they cost? Before I renew to redguides (which I'll be doing soon) I haven't been able to find a way to see the prices of any plugins at all so I was wondering if someone could clue me in. I hear zerker is super worth it so I'm planning on getting that one, which other ones are definitely worth it? Are there any other plugins (maybe new ones) that are really worth buying that would help me be able to farm the $$$ needed to sub my accounts?

Lastly, just to be sure, DB's stance on using MQ is still as long as you're driving a character/at your keyboard you're good right?

Thanks a ton for taking time to read this!

TL; DR:
Is my current comp good? ENC/SK/MAG/WIZ/ZERK/CLE? Should I make any changes? Maybe Enc -> Bard?
How many of my accounts do I need to keep subbed? Which ones?
What premium plugins would be worth it if on a small budget?
MQ Vanilla still ok with DB as long as not fully automated right?

Hey everyone! So, like the title says, I'm a returning player, last time I played a whole lot was back in EOK and I was doing a TON of boxing. I started Alt-Tab Boxing with just a chanter/mage duo and now I have (I think) 6 accounts, most with 1 or 2 105+s. What I know I have for sure at 105 with decent EOK gear is ENC, SK, MAG, WIZ, Zerk. The last thing I was working on leveling was a cleric, but I checked and it didn't make it too far lol. So, here are the questions:

First of all, does that comp work overall all the way to 115+? If there was changes you guys would make, let me know what they would be please. My thinking on this comp starts with the original 2 box, MAG/ENC, I figured pet tank with 2 free healer mercs or tank/heal would make a fun 2 box before I started using MQ. Pretty sure I worked with a healer/tank merc all the way to 105 or so back in EOK. Once I hit 105 and started wanting to do harder content and using MQ2 more with KA, I decided I wanted to fill out my group more until where it's at now. I think pretty much all of the characters have pretty obvious reasons to be in group, but it made sense to me, SK as group content tank, ENC haste/slow/CC/Mana, mage for CoH and good DPS/BackUp tank, wiz was for evac and nukes mostly, and zerk was just some raw DPS. So, all that being said, I've considered swapping the ENC with a bard, I currently pull with my ENC since it was the first toon I started playing but I've thought maybe a bard would make for a better puller and still be able to fill all the roles the enc was filling before. As for the last slot in the party, I assume I should fill it with a cleric, but I'm open to suggestions.

Secondly, how many of these characters do I need to pop Kronos on? I have like 9mpp, so I can afford to sub a few but I'm light on cash, so the fewer I can sub at a time the better so I can afford to keep that toon subbed as long as needed. That being said, I've seen there's a wave of these cool class based plugins, the CWTN ones primarily and I was wondering, first, how much they cost? Before I renew to redguides (which I'll be doing soon) I haven't been able to find a way to see the prices of any plugins at all so I was wondering if someone could clue me in. I hear zerker is super worth it so I'm planning on getting that one, which other ones are definitely worth it? Are there any other plugins (maybe new ones) that are really worth buying that would help me be able to farm the $$$ needed to sub my accounts?

Lastly, just to be sure, DB's stance on using MQ is still as long as you're driving a character/at your keyboard you're good right?

Thanks a ton for taking time to read this!

TL; DR:
Is my current comp good? ENC/SK/MAG/WIZ/ZERK/CLE? Should I make any changes? Maybe Enc -> Bard?
How many of my accounts do I need to keep subbed? Which ones?
What premium plugins would be worth it if on a small budget?
MQ Vanilla still ok with DB as long as not fully automated right?
welcome back to the game rigo

1. your group is fine, would definitely suggest finishing that cleric, however.
you have real tank, real cc, and then dps, so just need real healer and gtg.
Chanters are amazing CCers, and while bards are definitely more often used with zerkers, they can work in that scenario just fine.

2. you will want to at least pop a krono on everyone once, that way you can autogrant AAs, you retain them even if you go silver.

I strongly recommend keeping your sk all-access so you can use augs. augs are a SIGNIFICANT portion of survivability as you decide to get more involved in progression and missions and such.

2b. all of the cwtn class plugins are a $20 license for a 12 months - they are included at no cost, on the test server build of Very Vanilla. and even if you're not on test, you can at least test copy and then try them out to see if that is something you like/meets your needs.

3. no. despite any inequity in the application of the rules, MacroQuest is absolutely against Terms of Service. while most of us that abide by the "good neighbor" attitude don't run into problems, that doesn't mean it is ok.

----
Is this allowed?
Very Vanilla only works on servers that allow multi-boxing, and does not contain game-breaking active hacks or cheats. While playing, please follow these guidelines to be a good representative of our community:
  • Stay at your keyboard.
  • Be considerate of other players.
While our goal is to make multiboxing software accepted by the entire EverQuest community, Darkpaw Games doesn't endorse any software but their own, and they have suspended users in the past for using MacroQuest. Use with caution on their servers.

----

4a. I personally use a bard with my zerker groups, zerkers are "needy takers" and bard gives them the juice. Shm (with some effort) would be fine if you didn't want the cleric, but cleric is stronk.
4b. that is only for you to decide. you can do all content without cwtn class plugins.
4c. already answered above. no. and anyone who tells you anything different is not being fair. it *is* against terms of service, so they are fully justified to suspend/ban/progressive action against you and possibly related accounts for usage - this doesn't happen frequently, but the inequitable application of their own rules does not in and of itself mean it is "ok". that is 100% a risk you will have to determine if it is worth it to you.

AFK play isn't supported at RG, strongly discouraged, and definitely something that can and will get you suspended/banned/progressive discipline. it is a matter if when, not if.

I would 1000% recommend ensuring you setup things like mq2say, and/or mq2discord etc to ensure that your attention can be gotten if it needs to be gotten. getting a gm visit with /say check and missing it despite being at keyboard really stinks.

Sweet, thanks a ton Sic, just got done watching a bunch of your videos actually lol. All of the 105s have a bunch of AAs since I had them all kronoed before when I was playing in EOK and yeah, I had gotten the part about keeping it up on the SK from your videos :) . Would you just pull with the chanter the way I have been? Or swap to pulling with the SK? (I should prolly learn to pull with the SK). I assume I should just PL my cleric with one of my DPS OOG right? Then pop a krono on him once he hits like 100 for the AAs?

Thanks for the help Sic :)

Sweet, thanks a ton Sic, just got done watching a bunch of your videos actually lol. All of the 105s have a bunch of AAs since I had them all kronoed before when I was playing in EOK and yeah, I had gotten the part about keeping it up on the SK from your videos :) . Would you just pull with the chanter the way I have been? Or swap to pulling with the SK? (I should prolly learn to pull with the SK). I assume I should just PL my cleric with one of my DPS OOG right? Then pop a krono on him once he hits like 100 for the AAs?

Thanks for the help Sic :)
I personally prefer to pull with tank in modern game, since mobs hit so hard and i'm running the whole group anyhow.

re: cleric - 85 can group with 115 (always a max 30 level spread) so get em within that 30 range of your group, and slap em in and go kill dark blues, will be lvl'd up in no time.

The "magic" formula is
Tank, Healer, CC + 3x DPS
What goes in each spot is purely based on what makes you happy at the end of the day.
Sk, Clr, Enc are fine. A bard instead of an enchanter could introduce a better overall output, but it could also add a level of complexity as well.
Mag, Wiz, Zerk - This is a mish mash of DPS. based on the rest of the group composition the Zerk is kinda an oddball for this group makeup imho.

Sk is a good all around tank and my personal opinion is they are superior to warriors and paladin. Tank should be subbed at all times.
Cleric is a good solid option for healer as it's honestly their only role, heals and a few health buffs and such. Since your group's DPS is more caster than melee I think this fits well. Should probably only need to be subbed to gain more AAs or if pretiege gear is something you always want to have access to use. Mine is always FTP once max AA'd
Enchanter - Some mana regen, solid crowd control, can haste mage pet/zerker. I use one, I like it. Crowd control for me is easier with them.
Mage - Summons stuff for others, Mod rods are good for others specifically the Enchanter/Wizard in the case of your group. It's not a pet heavy group, so maybe some use out of the pet weapons but only for the mage themselves.
Wizard - umm...boom? Wizards aren't that great right now. They love consuming mana, but I feel the return on the usage of it provides little to not real noticeable benefit. If you're after some min-maxing I'm not entirely certain the wizard is right for this.
Zerker - Again, oddball out. But they will be able to provide sustained damage output to keep your group moving forward even if your Mage / Wizard run out of mana.

Ultimately it's about what you want to get out of the group you're playing. The question of "can I use this group to do things" is yes, you can. The question of is the group makeup ideal for a situation in which I would do some full blown mob domination is more than likely, no.

If I were making a group my first thought is the primary 3. Tank, Healer, and CC. SK is my personal favorite, the healer and CC depend on your DPS lineup. If casters, I think the cleric and enchanter are fine, but a bard would work for that as well. For melee I would go with shaman and bard.
For picking the melee I would say whatever you choose, get them to be the same "type" of DPS. Melee or Caster, and you want to build it in a way that compliments the groups overall makeup. For example if I have a wizard I also use a necro for the mana tap that goes to group members. and since I have a necro I should go ahead and get the mage too because then I can benefit from the pet toys. If I forego the wizard and choose yet another pet class (beast) which really is a fall in the middle kinda toon, I could see going that route as well.

as a couple of examples.
Caster
SK, Clr, Enc, Mag, Nec, Bst
SK, Clr, Bard, Mag, Nec, Wiz

Melee
SK, Shm, Bard, (Populate Zerk, Rogue, Mnk, etc here)

I wouldn't try to build a group for alliance, typically you won't truely benefit from alliance unless you're in a raid setting imho.

Hope some of this helpful in deciding or helping you make an decision on what you might like to play.

Thanks again for the replies guys, man that Mag, Nec, Bst group sounds kinda fun :D. I might have to try that out. What is the F2P level cap right now? I'm starting to do some mental math, when it comes time to buy xpacs, it's gonna be $210 to buy them all! lol

So, are there still good KA ini's in the level 2 section that I could use before I buy the MQ2Class plugins? (cuz I just watched the video on enchanter SK and BST and they all look great, i really like the Sic Tank mode) My thought is that I know one of the reasons I'm thinking of coming back is because I'm super bored and probably will be until Lost Ark comes out. My thought is that I can start playing for like ~$40-60, getting RG, MQ2Eskay, and paying a month sub for the SK. Then I can just use KAs while i PL my cleric. Once I get my cleric up to speed with the rest of my party, I'll be better able to decide if I really wanna dump the rest of the money into it to start playing a lot more or if that works out well, I can slowly PL my other toons to make that caster comp work.

Also, where/how do I buy kronos for plat in game? Just speak up in /auc? Man, I'm excited to play again but it's also super overwhelming when I haven't played in forever and I have to set up a whole party lol. The MQ2 plugins look super nice in how they're right out of the box.

Lastly, if i delete a heroic boost thing character, I get a boost back right? I think I remember that's how that works. I'm fairly certain I have at least 1 heroic character I didn't really play on each account, so getting an 85 necro/bst on the right accounts shouldn't be hard.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Thanks again for the replies guys, man that Mag, Nec, Bst group sounds kinda fun :D. I might have to try that out. What is the F2P level cap right now? I'm starting to do some mental math, when it comes time to buy xpacs, it's gonna be $210 to buy them all! lol

So, are there still good KA ini's in the level 2 section that I could use before I buy the MQ2Class plugins? (cuz I just watched the video on enchanter SK and BST and they all look great, i really like the Sic Tank mode) My thought is that I know one of the reasons I'm thinking of coming back is because I'm super bored and probably will be until Lost Ark comes out. My thought is that I can start playing for like ~$40-60, getting RG, MQ2Eskay, and paying a month sub for the SK. Then I can just use KAs while i PL my cleric. Once I get my cleric up to speed with the rest of my party, I'll be better able to decide if I really wanna dump the rest of the money into it to start playing a lot more or if that works out well, I can slowly PL my other toons to make that caster comp work.

Also, where/how do I buy kronos for plat in game? Just speak up in /auc? Man, I'm excited to play again but it's also super overwhelming when I haven't played in forever and I have to set up a whole party lol. The MQ2 plugins look super nice in how they're right out of the box.

Lastly, if i delete a heroic boost thing character, I get a boost back right? I think I remember that's how that works. I'm fairly certain I have at least 1 heroic character I didn't really play on each account, so getting an 85 necro/bst on the right accounts shouldn't be hard.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
f2p lvl cap is 110, autogrant goes to eok at 105. there is an expansion coming soon and though they haven't said when, it would being the f2p cap up to 115, and eventually the autogrant to RoS (the autogrant update is often times much much later).

you should consider test copying your characters and then trying out the cwtn class plugins before determining if you want to buy anything extra as they are included with VV lvl 2 for the test server. there is a lot of info and guides and such > here < for them so familiarizing yourself with them before you decide to spend anything is a good idea.

general chat is usually where i buy krono for plat - but they are hard to come buy atm as folks are hoarding them for the xpac.

heroics will tell you when you go to delete them if you don't get them back - the recent freebie heroics you do get it back, the ones from before that you don't. if you purchased it, you do get that back as well.

Wanted to say, thanks again to everyone who responded with some red cents! Thanks to you guys, I got my first month of lvl 2 and I'm trying setting up this group with RGMercs first to see how that goes :) Working on getting a Krono to make my SK's gear work (he was in almost full selarch's)

@Sic, tried deleting the 85 on my wiz account, was a shaman, got the heroic back! So I can make either the BST or Nec to replace him,. @CWTN sadly the zerker account doesn't have a boost, so i can't easily replace him with another toon to PL :(
Thanks both of you guys for all your help though, you guys rock! :D

Just a little update in case anyone is curious.

Got my MQ2 up and running with RGMercs, really it's a really nice plug and play pack of macros, all my toons are playing pretty well. They seemed kinda weak until i realized how many spells it said i was missing. My SK seems broken, I got to camp in FM with my full group. Started up RGMercs on all 6 boxes, waited for all the buffs to go up and completely forgot to unsuspend my merc healer! My cleric wasn't even running and the SK just healed himself... through a 4 pack! lol

All that being said, I think I'm gonna get MQEsKay so I can actually do some pulling, was just working with RGMerc's auto pulling on the tank and it was kinda boring in that I wasn't doing much.... I think having the Sic Tank option will make it a lot more fun. Starting to wonder where I should go at 110. I only really did FM today, though I'm sure i can do Lcea too. Cleric is almost 90, the rest of the group is around 108. Anyways, this has been pretty fun and it's been fun keeping people updated :).

I will say though, i still feel like my casters aren't really living up to their potential at all with it though. The chanter especially from what I can tell since I used to actually drive it. It's not doing almost any DPS and even as such, it's CC feels slow and I'm not sure if it's slowing at all. The mage and wiz dmg also feels weaker than i remember.

Hey man, i dont think there is anything wrong with your comp.

I just prefer to have a melee comp when running bard and caster comp when running enchanter , but thats just me.

Also i had a break from the game back when CoTF was current, i stopped playing mid to late into the expansion. When i came back in EoK just before next expansion was about to dropp i felt disconnected from my characters...
So what i did i started on a TLP server , found lots of enjoyment in that. I'm currently boxing 12 chars on Rizlona and im lovin it!
Just my 2cp

Day 2 of being back. I think I figured out some stuff that was wrong with my settings for the RGMerc chanter, I dunno if I just wasn't paying attention or if I had to turn them on, but I found settings for slowing and doting and stuff and turned it all on, so he's doing pretty decent. The mage, wiz and zerker seem to be ok with RGMerc, though I'm missing a few spells and stuff, but i'll fix that once they hit 110. The SK is now the Eskay if you know what I mean :P And, I dunno if it's the plugin or what, but i can chain pull 5 packs now and there's no problem at all, haven't died once since I bought it and I've been playing WAY more recklessly.

Lastly, cleric is 97 now, just before going to bed I tried out having him solo heal a few T1 Nameds in EOK, went off without a hitch so I can sit my merc again :D Feels good to have a full party of 6. Now I'm just trying to push to better and better XP. I have a bag full of 105 gear for the cleric once he gets there but until then he's gonna be sitting in his heroic gear. I went ahead and subbed him to get his autogrants though to make up for some of the lack of power from missing gear. Tasks for tomorrow are to keep farming off pieces for the cleric for a full set of T1 EOK gear at 105, been working on farming more AC augs for the SK too. Once the Cleric is 105, the rest of the party should be 110, at which point I'll see about buying the expac and working them all towards 115.

As of right now, my set up seems to be working just fine, and that's exciting :D.

Edit: OH! One small thing, the casters sometimes seem to stop nuking for extended periods of time. I'll try to pay attention a little more to see if I find med settings (which I'm sure there are) and see if that's all that's happening. The zerker def has a small bug though where sometimes he'll get stuck navigating to a spot right infront of him. If i just tap foward, it fixes him, but it happens pretty often.

Question - Hey Everyone, few questions from a returning player! (some 105+, comp, sub)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back