• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Having trouble fighting things in the Steppes... (1 Viewer)

ctsfinest

RedCents
532¢
Hey all - me again. Taking all the feedback I've received and trying to put it to good use but I'm starting to get frustrated. My group is level 63 - SHD BER BRD CLR WIZ NEC. I can fight mobs one at a time for the most part, but when I get more than 1, because I can't mez anything higher than 57 currently, I get stomped. I am trying to do Hero's Journey and do the level appropriate advancement quest which is to cull gnolls and goblins, and more than 1 gnoll at a time kicks my butt. Is my gear that bad, or is it time to sub on my tank?

Should I just grind mobs instead of worrying about Hero's Journey? I have a good leveling guide but thought it'd be nice to do some quests rather than grind the entire time. My KA .ini are up to date so I don't think that's the issue but it's quite annoying to fight one or two mobs, then die on my third pull because I pulled one too many and then spend 10-15 minutes recovering my exp from fellowship return/rez/med up only to die again.

I am pulling with my SHD but I do not know or understand how to pull with a BRD. Am I missing something here? I don't seem to have lullaby spells yet or any feign death things? I keep getting links and dying because of it, because I can't take two yellow mobs at once.

Last edited:
If you like quests and the struggle to complete them at that level then keep going.... I would forget about them until about level 100 and grind out lots of AAs

then i would come back thru and go all anakin skywalker on them while sporting a most evil grin....

Your tank should be gold but that probably not whats killing you at this point in the game. You need to learn pulling techniques. This video is decent for those levels ....
Your Sk can pull too using his snare and feign death ... if you have two mobs close together, Snare one of them and when they aggro drag them away from the intial spawn spot and then feign death. Wait for your aggro to drop before standing back up .... the one without snare will path back to his spawn spot and the one you snared will stand there until the snare goes away .... splitting the mobs. It only takes a little practice and you can use this almost anywhere in game.
You're at a point in EQ that is kinda weird for mez .... new spells are only good for a couple levels and modern characters are usually geared well enough they are hunting higher than initially intended. This isnt a problem at higher levels. Its just a tough spot for cc in the game.

Hey all - me again. Taking all the feedback I've received and trying to put it to good use but I'm starting to get frustrated. My group is level 63 - SHD BER BRD CLR WIZ NEC. I can fight mobs one at a time for the most part, but when I get more than 1, because I can't mez anything higher than 57 currently, I get stomped. I am trying to do Hero's Journey and do the level appropriate advancement quest which is to cull gnolls and goblins, and more than 1 gnoll at a time kicks my butt. Is my gear that bad, or is it time to sub on my tank?

Should I just grind mobs instead of worrying about Hero's Journey? I have a good leveling guide but thought it'd be nice to do some quests rather than grind the entire time. My KA .ini are up to date so I don't think that's the issue but it's quite annoying to fight one or two mobs, then die on my third pull because I pulled one too many and then spend 10-15 minutes recovering my exp from fellowship return/rez/med up only to die again.

I am pulling with my SHD but I do not know or understand how to pull with a BRD. Am I missing something here? I don't seem to have lullaby spells yet or any feign death things? I keep getting links and dying because of it, because I can't take two yellow mobs at once.
My only recommendation here is sub in a BL for shaman type buffs and slows... and another EM pet... Maybe... SHD CLR BRD BER/WIZ NEC BL (i would personally keep the BER in the group and box the WIZ outside the group just for ports)

Some "suggestions" or "guides" often seemed undoable by my group and I came to the conclusion I am not a high flying player. So I drop back a little to the previous suggestions or guides and that seems to work much better and far less frustrating.

Example. When Gribble were all the rage and players talked about turning on your lesson at the end of one and then doing the next one so you could get 2 off the lesson...well it took me so long to do one (if I could even finish it) that there was no hope of turning that trick. And others were flying thru those with ease but I was not able to for quite a few levels over what they were doing it at.

Oddly enough I just took my level 70's to the Steppes in hunt of Beryl Hero's Forge drops and those little gobbys were all over my team, it was carnage. That zone is level 60-75. Maybe I will go back and look for the mobs that would be level 60 but need to be fighting blue to get the Beryl's forge armor to drop.

Perhaps rethinking were you set up your camp might benefit you. Give yourself a little longer pull and use your darkness line if still pulling with your SK. With a longer pull you have the ability to decide if the pull went bad if you want to drag all to your group or just FD and let them reset. If your SK dies, the mobs aren't sitting ontop of your group and you will be able to rez him/her. You also have 3 classes in your group that can root adds. Those can be cast from your tank via hotkeys. Park them and get busy. Do you have a full compliment of Defiant gear on your SK? Defiant is huge over expansion era gear. Just some food for thought.....

You should be Bard pulling - it sounds like you could be Pacifying with Silent Song of Quellious - works up to 65. You are 63, killing yellows. Pacify them. Mez comes at 64 I believe for that range, so Pacify for single pulls.

I had the same issue on the Skunk or Skrunk or whatever that guys name is when doing Gribbles. The 1st pull without Pacify or FD pulling was a minimum of 4-5 yellows. The rest of the instance were blues, except for that first pull. Pacify, pacify, pacify.

1). Your team is good, and level up by Hero's Journey is no problem, I went that way too instead of pure grinding.
2). Not that necessary to sub your SK at this moment, just get him a set of Elaborate Defiant (non-Prestige).
3). The root cause is CC, embarrassing that your Bard can not mez high yellows until level 68. So, you need to pull single or 2 at a time.
4). If your driver = SK, snare/FD split as mentioned above. If your driver = Bard, lull to make it single. (Level 61 Silent Song of Quellious)

Last edited:

Are you using the SHD ini from the resources section? There’s an issue with it in the heals section.

Lifetaps need to be set with the “Tap” tag: Touch of Draygun|70| Tap otherwise when the tank hits 70% HP they will start targeting themselves trying to cast lifetap, which obv doesn’t work, and all your dps will switch targets with the tank lol. Also, HealsOn should be set to 4 so the SHD doesn’t waste time checking other peoples’ HP.

I was having the same issue over the weekend when pulling 2 because that’s when the tank would actually drop below 70% for long enough to matter.

You can hack non-mez cc by using the INC tag in the aggro section with by using secondary agro set to 1 “aggro1=Root|1|<<|INC” that will cause your rooter to “taunt” any mob coming into camp with root to try to gain aggro.

Last edited:
If it was me I would go find an area with dark and light blue mobs and grind things out while practicing skills like pulling and CC. CC failed? Grab the mob fast on your SK. Add? Lock it down before your cleric gets touched. Practice things like pulling 1 out of a group of 5, then 1 out of 4, and so on quickly and efficiently. Practice breaking up spawns in a camp so that every pull is single once broken and hold the camp.

Levels will come. If your skills are low once your level is high you will have a much more difficult time of things than you do now.

Good luck and have fun.

Discussion - Having trouble fighting things in the Steppes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back