• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Question - Getting Tank to engage quickly (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,127¢
What's the best settings for getting a tank to engage the mob just as the puller is returning? I currently have an SK set up to pullertank, but when grouping with other pullers he doesn't engage until the mob gets to the camp and hits the puller a few times.

Don't set your puller as a puller? When using rolls, not kiss rolls, but the EQ rolls. The tank may engage sooner than you want however. Oh and you need to get hit before he will engage, so get hit when you pull and he will engage quickly (you may need to be within a range of the tank for that). Although, I'm talking about a Merc tank, are you? lol

Just reread your post. You have a SK tank and another toon pulling? That never worked well for me, the best thing was to make your puller a pullertank, seemed to work better.

Rich (BB code):
CampRadius=50
MeleeDistance=75
AssistAt=100

I set my sk to tank while targeting the puller. Any other toons assist the tank.

I started looking into this because another friend has a Warrior who would grab the mob before the puller got hit every time. Even when my SK is set to puller tank, he will run back to the camp and sit down before he gets up and engages.

Yes Maskoi, he was pullertank pulling with demand for power. He ran out, casted the spell, then ran back to the camp, sat down and waited for the mob to hit him then he engaged. Not sure why. He wasn't sitting when he started KA, and he was full mana and endurance.

Any news on getting the tank to engage quicker?

I tried pulling with my bard again after using my sk as pullertank for a long time, but the bard always gets hit once or twice. With trash that's ok in a VoA T4 zone, but with nameds that hurts like shit and sometimes the bard dies.

Not here. I keep trying new things, and I see a glimmer of hope. But alas, ultimately my tank waits to get hit (or the puller gets hit) before he engages.

- - - Updated - - -

By George I have it figured out! Woohoo!

I set these options and my tank now runs out and grabs the mob before the puller gets hit!

Under General
Rich (BB code):
Role=Tank
CampRadius=50

And then:

Rich (BB code):
[Melee]
AssistAt=100
MeleeOn=1
FaceMobOn=1
MeleeDistance=150
StickHow=front 25
AutoFireOn=0

I'm going to slowly turn down the melee distance and see how close I can pull it in. Not sure if it was that or the stickhow that fixed my problem.

Okay so as some of you know i run a Bard and SK . I started using KA months ago and tried to use my bard as puller. He kept getting turned to mush, and folks told me to use pullertank with the SK. I have run with that for months. Just in the last two or three weeks I have gone back with the bard pulling.

I seem to have found a good balance that is working for the current zone I am in. Camp radius for all my toons is 75, the SK assistat is set to 100, and within EQ roles I have the SK as Main Tank, Main Assist, and also have him set to Mark NPC. The bard is set as puller in the EQ role as well. I would say 90% of the time the SK does target the incoming NPC and peels it off the bard while coming into the came. And 10% of the time the bard takes two to three hits before the SK get aggro.

Awesome! The tank engages just quick enough now =)

Gonna play around with the figures a bit too and have to setup a new DPS order for the SK, uber eqgeek!

- - - Updated - - -

Been testing it for some time now and only problem I get sometimes is when mobs spawn too close to camp, then the puller gets hit a few times, other then that its working perfect /cheer

Found out a way for the puller not to get hit when pulling close spawns.

Adjust
Rich (BB code):
AssistAt=99
DPS1=Demand for Power|99
in your KissAssist INI, this way you force your SK to engage in melee.

... and make sure you adjust
Rich (BB code):
aggro=1
challengefor=0
provokemax=0
in your MQ2Melee INI, otherwise MQ2Melee will cast agro spells instead of KissAssist.

Last edited:

Adjust
Rich (BB code):
AssistAt=99
DPS1=Demand for Power|99

Rich (BB code):
aggro=1
challengefor=0
provokemax=0
in your MQ2Melee INI, otherwise MQ2Melee will cast agro spells instead of KissAssist.

I actually took out demand from my KA ini as my SK was double tapping demand. My SK fires off demand through mq2melee just fine for what I can see.

I need to get back into a dungeon zone here soon and see how the aggro goes. I am like eqgeek right now, my bard is doing long pulls for the most part.

What if the puller didn't do 1% DMG and the mob comes to camp at 100%?

It's in tankmode so it will engage in melee and taunt, at 99% it casts Demand for Power.

If you rely on Demand for Power only, I noticed it sometimes still casts a bit too late, escpecially when mobs spawn close.

I adjusted the MeleeDistance to 125 and it looks very nice.

Imo you can use both SHD or BRD for pulling it doesn't really matter, as long as you keep Selo's Sonata in both the buff and the DPS section, what I like now though is that you can choose both. Not every camp is the same and sometimes the SHD or the BRD will have perks when pulling in a certain camp.

Thanks eqgeek again.. for making this possible =)

Adjust
Rich (BB code):
AssistAt=99
DPS1=Demand for Power|99

Rich (BB code):
aggro=1
challengefor=0
provokemax=0

This is the correct solution.

To set the MQ2Melee settings in the 2 part
/melee aggro=1
/melee challengefor=0
/melee provokemax=0
/melee save

Last edited:
I had this fun problem --
1) tank would go out to pull
2) tank comes back in, get hits with Cleric HP aura, and thus loses HP% due to max HP increasing
3) Cleric heals said tank with heal/nuke (Intravention)
4) mob takes considerable damage, summons cleric mid-pull
5) Cleric, out of camp range, stands there and dies
6) Mob then continues running towards camp with no more cleric present

I had to change the rule on the usage of that spell. I thought it was funny and semi-relevant to this thread. ;)

Rich (BB code):
Buffs3=Selo's Sonata|MA

that will keep selos up on your tank all day long...

ive never used the bard to pull and i have some decent pull times

When using 2 different characters for Puller and a Tank. I found it best to start the tank targeting self not the puller when starting KA, and the puller targeting Tank when starting. To get the Tank to engage earlier you just Increase MeleeDistance for the tank. The Problem I have found is when the puller returns to camp and the Tank engages the mob at the outer edge of CampRadius. The Puller stands around before engaging the mob. Even doing this the puller will still get hit most of the time in camp.

Question - Getting Tank to engage quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back