• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - FTP Accounts - Do you buy the spell Rank II upgrade from Daybreak Store? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
12,067¢
For your long term Free-to-Play accounts do you guys spend the 750 Daybreak cash to permanently unlock Rank II spells and abilities? Seems like they're about 5-7% increase in damage or AC or such.

(Daybreak Store -> Services -> Spell Rank Cap Increase)

For all DPS? For FTP tanks? Only worth it for certain classes or levels?

I currently keep tank Gold, but healer/DPS/CC are FTP most of the year. I buy them xpac's as I can afford and Krono them at least once a year for AA. But otherwise I've rarely spent money on them.

Edit: Just to clarify from lower posts:
  • If you're Gold you can mem/use Rank II.
  • If you earned Rank II while Gold and let your sub expire, you can no longer use Rank II until you're Gold again.
  • If you're FTP (or Gold that expired) and buy the Spell Cap Increase, you can mem/use Rank II
  • If you're pure FTP, you can not mem/use Rank II.

Last edited:
man, hadn't noticed the spell unlocker before, think I'll probably purchase that, after I gold my DPS/CC/Healer accounts for 2 months before I drop them back to silver, as that will give me 1000 DB cash so can unlock the spells on 1 char on each account

Wish they would bring the item unlockers back like they used to have

I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing for a few months now. Yes, definitely worth it. Especially considering all the crap DPG has in their store.

@VorpalChicken - Ah that's a good strat. I forgot you can just bank your free 500 Daybreak cash from subscription. If you buy it during active sub, it's also marked down 10% to 675 daybreak cash.

Prestige unlocker would rock, but I think that's one of the main things they keep in Gold to encourage subs.

I went Gold to auto grant all those AA on my shaman - I was going to buy the RK II unlocker when the sale hit (I am super cheap) and when I got granted the $5 and then go back to Silver (what I was on that character before). I wound up having so much fun with the shaman I am still Gold on him. But I will buy it next sale just to have it.

On the other side someone posted recently in forums that they had bought it about 7 months ago when they were Gold but when they went F2P this month and they were casting RK I - like the unlocker was not working. Now I don't know if it flags your account or if its a claim item and sometimes memories get confused with all the characters most people run. So not sure what happened with that.

You can learn Rank II while gold, when you drop back to FTP you use the Rank I. The EQ made hot buttons will still list Rank II, but they fire the basic spell. Just tested it on a silver war and he popped the basic version of Warrior's Bastion instead of Warrior's Bastion rk II, even though his button is Rank II.

KA and chat's plugins will just use the best version you have avail. I think most of the other plugins/macros adjust too.

Something here is amiss , I do exactly that and buy expansion out of gate level to 115 . Then eat krono to max AA and get RKII spells when toon drops to silver I still have acsess to all AA's and still cast all my RKII spells.

Check the marketplace under services and see if the spell rank increase is available to that character.

If not then you purchased it at some point and would explain the weirdness.
I believe your right. It acts like the "Hero's Forge Armor Feature" where once you have purchased it then you can no longer see it in the marketplace.

I have not purchased the spell rank increaser in marketplace and I can still see it for sale, on gold or silver or F2P accounts.

So does the spell rank increaser allow you to memorize spells when you are not gold or just cast the ones at a higher rank ones that you have already memorized?

The RKI spells get overwritten in your spell book when you learn the RKII version so how does that work? You memorize the RKII version but when you cast the RKI version goes off?

So does the spell rank increaser allow you to memorize spells when you are not gold or just cast the ones at a higher rank ones that you have already memorized?
Straight from the marketplace description:

"Spell Rank Cap Increase"

This will give you the ability to scribe and cast RK II spells. This is a character specific unlock and applies ONLY to the character on which you buy this unlock. Note if you convert to Gold, this will not be refunded, but if you revert back to Free or Silver, previously purchased cap increasers will remain. (This item will not appear in your inventory, your account will be flagged on purchase)

So it sounds as if it does in fact allow one to scribe RK II while free if you buy it - I may try it out someday. Or if someone else has done it?

My understanding is the RK II spell picture does not change in your spell book once you go free/silver but you just cast as RK I if you have not bought the unolcker. So yes to Saffron on that.

Another unlocker in the marketplace is the AA increase. I feel this is silly and should be removed as its basically a scam like selling time shares or pyramid schemes:

If its $2.50 for 100 and you buy 6 = $15.00
You would only increase your AA by 600

If you paid for a month = $14.99 (or cheaper)
And then auto grant = hundreds of AA depending on your level

But I am sure they have made some $$ doing that - I know of 2 people personally who have GOLD accounts and purchased the increasers:confused:

Tested it both ways.

Gold account when subscription times runs out = no Rank II. You lose ability to use Rank II by default. Any Rank II spells/abilities will still show in spellbook, spell bar, combat bar menu, EQ hotkeys and such. But when you use them, you'll get the basic "rank I" version buff or cast. My Warrior has all the Rank II AC/Mitigation stuff and with no sub (his prestige weapon is yellow and all aug'd gear has purple warning) he is only getting Rank I versions of discs and AC buffs. If somebody can find one that still casts Rank II let us know. I didn't try all combat abilities, just various buffs in the Lobby.

Rank II are available for FTP toon that bought the Spell Rank Increase for 750 daybreak cash. When he memmed the Rank II scroll it gave the message about replacing it in spellbook and the icon on his spell bar for that spell changed from basic spell to the Rank II. Upon cast, the buff was Rank II. He is FTP, no sub and no Krono active.

Last edited:
Rank II are available for FTP toon that bought the Spell Rank Increase for 750 daybreak cash. When he memmed the Rank II scroll it gave the message about replacing it in spellbook and the icon on his spell bar for that spell changed from basic spell to the Rank II. Upon cast, the buff was Rank II. He is FTP, no sub and no Krono active.
Just to clarify you do not have to be gold to scribe the Rank II ? You can do it while your Silver/F2P so long as you purchase the unlocker it will also let you SCRIBE the RK II? I understand about casting RK II but wonder about clarification on description about Scribing. So basically your FTP guy scribed while free? But he's a warrior - they have spells?:confused:

:)

Yes FTP can scribe and cast rank II. That was tested on two diff toons.

Druid was FTP, no active sub. Bought the 750 daybreak cash unlocker option. I converted an RoS clawed rune to a couple Rk II spells and druid had no issues memming the scrolls. Got the message about replacing my spells in spell book. It also changed the icon on his spellbar automatically as I had one of the spells on the bar already. Cast the spell and it gave me the Rk II buff icon.

Warrior was Gold, he's a tank so he had augs/prestige and had already memmed Rank II combat abilities like Warrior's Bastion Rk II and Field Champion Rk II. He happened to have his Krono worn off, so I could test his stuff. All his buttons still say Rk II and if I open his combat abilities menu it lists all the stuff I've upgraded to Rk II. So you think he's going to use those, but when I press the button it always casts the Rank I basic version.

I like to do this on all my toons, if they have the DPG cash laying around anyway. There isn't much from the marketplace that I need or want anymore, so the Rk II stuff is super good.

Sorry for bumping this old thread...I had been planning for some time to upgrade my FTP guys with their Rank II spells using this DB purchase...but I believe that the Spell Rank Cap Increase no longer exists. Anyone else verify this?

For your long term Free-to-Play accounts do you guys spend the 750 Daybreak cash to permanently unlock Rank II spells and abilities? Seems like they're about 5-7% increase in damage or AC or such.

(Daybreak Store -> Services -> Spell Rank Cap Increase)

For all DPS? For FTP tanks? Only worth it for certain classes or levels?

I currently keep tank Gold, but healer/DPS/CC are FTP most of the year. I buy them xpac's as I can afford and Krono them at least once a year for AA. But otherwise I've rarely spent money on them.

Edit: Just to clarify from lower posts:
  • If you're Gold you can mem/use Rank II.
  • If you earned Rank II while Gold and let your sub expire, you can no longer use Rank II until you're Gold again.
  • If you're FTP (or Gold that expired) and buy the Spell Cap Increase, you can mem/use Rank II
  • If you're pure FTP, you can not mem/use Rank II.
No, waste of money

Sorry for bumping this old thread...I had been planning for some time to upgrade my FTP guys with their Rank II spells using this DB purchase...but I believe that the Spell Rank Cap Increase no longer exists. Anyone else verify this?
You may not be seeing it if your on an all access account when your looking in the marketplace. It will only show for purchase if your on the F2P account

Some All Access accounts were incorrectly purchasing that and the AA increase and not understanding there were not for All Access.

You would have to decide if there is enough difference between RKI and RKII that its worth it. Also depends on your class.

As Redmonkey said, you won't see this in your store until you are FTP.

I've always felt it was worth it.....especially if you banked the DB points a couple months while you were active so it wont cost you additional money.

The RKI spells get overwritten in your spell book when you learn the RKII version so how does that work? You memorize the RKII version but when you cast the RKI version goes off?
That is correct, if you are gold and scribe an RK2 spell and go f2p you will be able to memorize the RK2 spell and it will show as RK2 if you hover over the spell gem but when you cast it, only the base version will hit the target.

Question - FTP Accounts - Do you buy the spell Rank II upgrade from Daybreak Store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back