• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - From Egyptian to the layman. (1 Viewer)

veebee0

RedCents
30¢
First, let me apologize if posts like this are frowned upon. I have attempted to browse/search my way thru to understanding and failed miserably.

Now, to the meat of the issue. All this information is pure gobbledygook. I feel like I've went from business math to theoretical physics. I literally have no idea where to begin with MQ2 or macros or plugins or any of it. Is there a truly dumbed-down introductory guide? I've never used anything like this, and I'm a little nervous. I really enjoy EQ and don't wanna mess that up for myself. Maybe this stuff isn't for someone like me. That's okay, assurances for either possibility are welcome and greatly appreciated.

I stumbled into redguides from googling about MQ2; which I stumbled into from (of all the things) a post about movement speed on alla. I'm very interested in the program because I have recently started boxing a second character (a ranger) to augment my main's (a cleric) capabilities at moloing. Ever since I began boxing I felt that it was very hard. When I would just molo with my main and a tank merc, I would always be doing something, but so many of the things I do with the cleric are completely conditional. IE, if yaulp is fading, I re-yaulp. When bash becomes usable, I bash. If the merc hits 75% HP and is taking enough damage for him to hit 50% before my delayed heal finishes; I cast a heal. These are things I know by paying attention, and paying attention requires me to be actively watching things. So, I usually just park the box and autofire. Occaisionally I tab and throw on a dot. I know I'm not utilizing a huge chunk of the ranger's abilities; and when I try to I lose a lot of my cleric's functionality. I believe that MQ2 can help me play 2 characters skillfully, but how?

Sorry for the noobishness. Thanks for your time and any advice offered.

Kissassit and our plugins will make boxing so much more simple...I can't post any links but if you look around you can find what your looking for here...also I'm sure some one soon will post a link...I'm at work and on my phone but what you need is all found in kiss

Hi Welcome to Redguides.

Set up EQ to bypass the SOE Patcher
http://www.redguides.com/community/...he-Patchme-command-to-bypass-the-SOE-Launcher

Download and setup our compile using the RGupdater
http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php/25093-RedGuides-Updater

Now you can stop here and enjoy the map and other plugins, but if you want more... keep going to the next step:

Download the newest version of KissAssist and copy it to your macro folder.
http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php/25353-KissAssist-6-Updated-05-27-2013-v6-5

Read about Kiss so you have some idea about the basics.
http://www.redguides.com/community/...KissAssist-6-Updated-05-27-2013-v6-5#setinfo6

/mac kissassist to create your characters ini.

Check out this thread to get some ideas how people are setting up their toons.
http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php/23921-KissAssist-ini-files

If you get stuck on any of the above, no problem! If you need something very basic, like how to unzip a zip file, just ask.

np, thank the guy I copied/pasted from.

veebee0,

I'm really sorry things are confusing. We have plans to make a "brand spankin' new user" guide or video that will show people the basics. The more questions you ask, the more we'll know to put in our guide - so please ask away.

Thanks for the help!

I'm working on compiling the MQ2 code from their website (using MS Visual Studio 2012), but I am getting a fatal error lnk1104 on several of the 'projects'. 3 of the projects are compiling correctly, though, so I'm investigate some of the properties in the ones that do compile correctly versus those that do not. If you have any insight/experience with this issue, I'd love a push in the right direction. ;-;

Edit:

Every time that I attempt a compile and fail, I delete the files and start from scratch. Something I just realized on my latest attempt is that when VS2012 does it's update procedure for the MQ solution it kicks out an update log. I skimmed thru the log, since it displays some error/alert messages, and found that most of the error comments are about library and linking problems. Considering that's the kind of error I'm getting, would it be helpful for me to upload the .xml of my log and link it to this thread?

Edit #2:

I fixed my own problem with the link error. Dunno why exactly it was happening, the only thing different I did was select 'Batch build' and ticked all the boxes instead of just selecting 'Build solution'. I'll post a bit later letting you folks know how things turn out.

Last edited:
If you have level 2 access here you can skip all of the compiling and get everything you need in a single package, along with some custom plugins that are not available anywhere else.

I went ahead and snagged Level 2 access earlier today. Some of Redbot's links are Level 2 area and I wanted to follow his post more clearly. I guess it doesn't really matter now that I've successfully compiled MQ2 and have started mucking around with the RG updater and kissassist stuff haha

So here's what I've done, step by step, and what's happening.

I downloaded/compiled MQ2 from their official page. Then, I downloaded the vanilla compiler and used the updater to update the MQ files I already had.
Next, I downloaded kissassist and threw it into my macro folder. I copied an ini from the linked thread above for my cleric and altered it fit my spells, and changed a few other things.
I don't really understand the plugin loading procedure ingame, as to whether or not that process is automated. So I made a few social keys that enter "/plugin name". In the MQ chat window it says the plugins have loaded.
After that I tried pulling a couple of mobs (without typing in anything else). CTD. Exited MQ2 and reran the app. Try again, CTD. Started doing a few things and realized I was crashing everytime I used a buffing spell. (I was pulling into melee and using a short term buff). I stop doing using any kind of buff spells and kill a few mobs. Not really getting much functionality from MQ at this point, so I try /kissassist on my tank merc. CTD.

Then I decided breakfast and posting here was an easier task for me :p

It sounds like you're using an outdated plugin and it's not behaving in game. Scrap what you downloaded from the mq2 official site and use the updater from here. You're going to be missing a lot of functionality and it's going to take a lot of time and effort to track down all of the latest plugins if you go the compile your own source route. I would suggest you start with a known good setup and then work on compiling if you want to explore that side of things.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, you don't have to do anything with the mq2 official source to get the setup from here to work.

• Our Very Vanilla compile is a pre-compiled version of the MQ2 source code. You don't have to compile anything just use our RGUpdater to set up the compile on your computer.
  • It has all the main plugins added that people use to play plus custom plugins available only here.
  • KissAssist only fully works on our compile. Using it on an incomplete regular MQ2 compile can cause you to CTD in some cases. Here is a scaled down version that should work with different compile http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php/25031-KissLite-v-1-0?highlight=lite but has much of the functionality taken out.
  • We really don't support Kiss on other compiles. There is not enough time in the world for me to make Kiss work everywhere.

So I'm using Very Vanilla now, redid everything. Still crash to desktop if I cast a buff on anything, be it myself or another PC or a merc. The buff section in the ini I set up for my ranger cast his buffs the first time I turned it on (and didn't crash him), but after relogging/turning kissassist on and joining up with my other character&merc he didn't buff them.

Sounds like you don't have mq2bagwindow loaded correctly

Instructions to Copy MQ2 UI files to your EverQuest UI folder
Download the current RedGuides MQ2 Compile zip file.
Open the RGUpdate.exe file
Select the path to where you downloaded the RedGuides MQ2 Compile zip file.
Select the path to your EverQuest UI Default or Custom UI folder.
Click the Copy button

Post your kiss ini files so we can figure out what is crashing you.

inis:
Cleric:
Rich (BB code):
[General]
KissAssistVer=6.5
Role=Assist
CampRadius=30
CampRadiusExceed=400
ReturnToCamp=0
ChaseAssist=0
ChaseDistance=25
MedOn=1
MedStart=25
MedCombat=0
LootOn=0
RezAcceptOn=1
AcceptInvitesOn=1
GroupWatchOn=1
EQBCOn=0
IRCOn=0
MiscGem=11
HoTTOn=0
[Buffs]
BuffsOn=1
Buffs1=Gallantry
Buffs2=Aura of Loyalty
Buffs3=Rallied Shield of Vie
Buffs4=Aura of the Pious|Aura
Buffs5=NULL
Buffs6=NULL
Buffs7=NULL
Buffs8=NULL
Buffs9=NULL
Buffs10=NULL
Buffs11=NULL
Buffs12=NULL
Buffs13=NULL
Buffs14=NULL
Buffs15=NULL
Buffs16=NULL
Buffs17=NULL
Buffs18=NULL
Buffs19=NULL
Buffs20=NULL
RebuffOn=1
[Melee]
AssistAt=95
MeleeOn=0
FaceMobOn=1
MeleeDistance=75
StickHow=snaproll
AutoFireOn=0
[GoM]
GoMSHelp=Format - Spell|Target, MA Me or Mob, i.e. Rampaging Servant Rk. II|Mob
GoMSpell=Elixir of Atonement|MA
[AE]
AEOn=0
AERadius=50
AE1=NULL
AE2=NULL
AE3=NULL
AE4=NULL
AE5=NULL
[DPS]
DPSOn=0
DPSSkip=20
DPSInterval=2
DPS1=NULL
DPS2=NULL
DPS3=NULL
DPS4=NULL
DPS5=NULL
DPS6=NULL
DPS7=NULL
DPS8=NULL
DPS9=NULL
DPS10=NULL
[Heals]
Help=Format Spell|% to heal at i.e. Devout Light Rk. II|50
HealsOn=0
Heals1=Twelfth Night|33
Heals2=Eleventh-Hour|31
Heals3=Holy Intervention Rk. II|67
Heals4=Devout Light Rk. II|78
Heals5=Word of Vivacity|65
Heals6=Elixir of Atonement|75
Heals7=Promised Recuperation|80
Heals8=Divine Arbitration|40
Heals9=Harmony of the Soul|35
Heals10=Celestial Regeneration|60
AutoRezOn=1
AutoRezWith=Blessing of Resurrection
[Cures]
CuresOn=1
Cures1=Radiant Cure
Cures2=NULL
Cures3=NULL
[Burn]
BurnText=Decepticons Attack
Burn1=NULL
Burn2=NULL
Burn3=NULL
Burn4=NULL
Burn5=NULL
Burn6=NULL
[Pull]
PullWith=Melee
PullMyHPs=25
MaxRadius=350
MaxZRange=50
PullWait=0
[AFKTools]
AFKHelp=AFKGMAction=0 Off, 1 Pause Macro, 2 End Macro, 3 Unload MQ2, 4 Quit Game
AFKToolsOn=0
AFKGMAction=1
AFKPCRadius=150
CampOnDeath=0
[Merc]
Help=To use: Turn off Auto Assist in Manage Mercenary Window
MercOn=0
MercAssistAt=92

Ranger:
Rich (BB code):
[General]
KissAssistVer=6.5
Role=Assist
CampRadius=50
CampRadiusExceed=400
ReturnToCamp=0
ChaseAssist=0
ChaseDistance=25
MedOn=1
MedStart=20
MedCombat=0
LootOn=0
RezAcceptOn=0
AcceptInvitesOn=1
GroupWatchOn=1
EQBCOn=0
MiscGem=1
IRCOn=0
HoTTOn=0
[Buffs]
BuffsOn=1
Buffs1=Strength of the Gladewalker
Buffs2=Feet like Cat
Buffs3=Gnarl of the Predator
Buffs4=Storm Strength
Buffs5=Cloak of Scales
Buffs6=Spirit of Eagle|Me
Buffs7=Eyes of the Peregrine
Buffs8=Consumed by the Hunt
Buffs9=Hunter's Vigor
Buffs10=NULL
Buffs11=NULL
Buffs12=NULL
Buffs13=NULL
Buffs14=NULL
Buffs15=NULL
Buffs16=NULL
Buffs17=NULL
Buffs18=NULL
Buffs19=NULL
Buffs20=NULL
RebuffOn=1
[Melee]
AssistAt=95
MeleeOn=1
FaceMobOn=1
MeleeDistance=75
StickHow=snaproll
AutoFireOn=1
[DPS]
DPSOn=1
DPSSkip=20
DPSInterval=5
DPS1=Arc of Arrows
DPS2=Cinder Jolt
DPS3=Horde of Hornets
DPS4=Cloud of Wasps
DPS5=Summer's Viridity
DPS6=NULL
DPS7=NULL
DPS8=NULL
DPS9=NULL
DPS10=NULL
[Heals]
Help=Format Spell|% to heal at i.e. Devout Light Rk. II|50
HealsOn=0
Heals1=NULL
Heals2=NULL
Heals3=NULL
Heals4=NULL
Heals5=NULL
Heals6=NULL
Heals7=NULL
Heals8=NULL
[Burn]
BurnText=Decepticons Attack
Burn1=NULL
Burn2=NULL
Burn3=NULL
Burn4=NULL
Burn5=NULL
Burn6=NULL
[Pull]
PullWith=Earthen Shackles
MaxRadius=350
MaxZRange=50
LoSFailOn=0
PullMyHPs=25
PullWait=0
[AFKTools]
AFKToolsOn=0
AFKGMAction=/quit
AFKPCRadius=150
AFKHelp=AFKGMAction=0 Off, 1 Pause Macro, 2 End Macro, 3 Unload MQ2, 4 Quit Game
CampOnDeath=0
[Merc]
Help=To use: Turn off Auto Assist in Manage Mercenary Window
MercOn=0
MercAssistAt=92
[GoM]
GoMSHelp=Format - Spell|Target, MA Me or Mob, i.e. Rampaging Servant Rk. II|Mob
GoMSpell=Gift of Mana Spell
[AE]
AEOn=0
AERadius=50
AE1=NULL
AE2=NULL
AE3=NULL
AE4=NULL
AE5=NULL
[Cures]
CuresOn=0
Cures=NULL

Your ini files look fine other than the dps in your ranger needs health % ie DPS4=Cloud of Wasps|90 etc

Are running macroquest2.exe as admin?
Are on an eq live server?

Only thing i can think of is somehow you got something mixed up with your other compile. Everything looks fine in your ini. I know its a total pain but I would delete everything MQ2 you have to avoid confusion and redownload the compile and start over. Other than that you would have to pm me your ranger account info so i could test it and see if I can duplicate the ctd.

Well, I figured out what was causing the problem. Everything works as long as I don't have the cast timer plugin loaded. I just went thru each plugin one by one until I could duplicate the error. Once I found it, removed mq2casttimer from the marcoquest2 ini and it runs right as rain now.

:D

They weren't. And my ranger's DPS section needs to be completely redone, I've found that the way it's set up now it's basically casting his jolt spell continuously pahah.

I wasn't so much worried about how the inis would run when I set them up, I just wanted something basic to see them in action. Tonight after work I'm gonna put more effort/time into them.

Question - From Egyptian to the layman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back