• You've discovered RedGuides šŸ“• an EverQuest multi-boxing community šŸ›”ļøšŸ§™šŸ—”ļø. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! šŸ‘‹
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - First six box (Necro, Mag, Enc, X, X, X) (1 Viewer)

RedCents
348Ā¢
Hi, so this is my first real box crew. I was soloing as a necro, then I picked up a mage box, and recently picked up and enchanter box. I am considering going for a full six box and looking for suggestions to round out the crew. I've been reading and the tank is flexible; there are some good points for each, but I think I am leaning SK unless there is a good reason not to. For my healer I'm guessing cleric? Shaman/Enc seems like a lot of overlap; though druid might be a possibility. The last is up for grabs, but I would prefer another ranged. I have a wizzy sitting around doing nothing, but I'm not sure how the damage would compare to a bow only ranger.

Any insight would be great. Also since I'm still new I'm just using RGMercs to run my box crew right now if that matters. Right now Nec and Mag are gold; I know the tank will need to be gold, what can i get away with being f2p and still do group content?

Hi, so this is my first real box crew. I was soloing as a necro, then I picked up a mage box, and recently picked up and enchanter box. I am considering going for a full six box and looking for suggestions to round out the crew. I've been reading and the tank is flexible; there are some good points for each, but I think I am leaning SK unless there is a good reason not to. For my healer I'm guessing cleric? Shaman/Enc seems like a lot of overlap; though druid might be a possibility. The last is up for grabs, but I would prefer another ranged. I have a wizzy sitting around doing nothing, but I'm not sure how the damage would compare to a bow only ranger.

Any insight would be great. Also since I'm still new I'm just using RGMercs to run my box crew right now if that matters. Right now Nec and Mag are gold; I know the tank will need to be gold, what can i get away with being f2p and still do group content?
SK tank - all the way.
Cleric is fine - shaman is fine too. druids are miserable, will slow you down waiting for druid mana - raise a druid for buffs and leave it behind. I prefer a shaman.
Not a thing wrong with the enchanter and shaman in same group - put shaman on slows and chanter on haste
Add a 2nd mage or if you go with cleric instead of shaman, add a beastlord.

If you are used to driving with a Necro..and you like the way casters play - it would be interesting to see how far you can go with a caster only group.

Nec, Wiz, Shm
Nec, Mag, Shm
Mag, Wiz, Shm
Nec, Nec, Shm
Mag, Dru, Shm
Bst, Shm, Dru
Bst, Shm, Wiz
Mag, Mag, Mag

Casters certainly give you some crazy burst DPS - so it would be interesting to see how many missions you actually NEED a tank.

If you are used to driving with a Necro..and you like the way casters play - it would be interesting to see how far you can go with a caster only group.

Nec, Wiz, Shm
Nec, Mag, Shm
Mag, Wiz, Shm
Nec, Nec, Shm
Mag, Dru, Shm
Bst, Shm, Dru
Bst, Shm, Wiz
Mag, Mag, Mag

Casters certainly give you some crazy burst DPS - so it would be interesting to see how many missions you actually NEED a tank.
I soloed my necro for a while so it was totally different then vs now. I picked up the two box because of partisan missions, some are just not soloable at my skill level. I picked up the enchanter because Iā€™ll eventually need mez for multi pulls and the pets just arenā€™t great with multiple mobs. At this point I figured I might as well just make a whole crew since Iā€™m halfway there.

I kinda want to get a ranger as dps 3. I had one for awhile and they can be fun; but Iā€™m not solo arrow kiting anymore with this team. Iā€™ve always loved the wizard class but they have really fallen off. Outside of the ranger Iā€™ve played a war and pally on TLP but thatā€™s all my melee experience. Iā€™m not quite sure how I would like driving one, and Iā€™m not too sure how well the macro can run one so it doesnā€™t look crazy running around, but Iā€™m not adverse to it.

I am currently running a sk,clrc,enc,mag,wiz, nec group. Working good so far, but I am only lvl 92 atm.
Depending on the fight, any if the 3 caster dps will pull out in the top dps spot.
My toons are at 115 right now

SK tank - all the way.
Cleric is fine - shaman is fine too. druids are miserable, will slow you down waiting for druid mana - raise a druid for buffs and leave it behind. I prefer a shaman.
Not a thing wrong with the enchanter and shaman in same group - put shaman on slows and chanter on haste
Add a 2nd mage or if you go with cleric instead of shaman, add a beastlord.
seems like the idea here is some kind of class that can provide shaman buffs. if i didn't want to run a 2nd mage what else would you suggest?

Dont write the wizards off completely just yet. They can still do a lot of damage - its just that they are currently under a Nec, Mag, Rog, Ber, Bst, Dru, Enc - but they are better dps than a cleric. (Unless we are fighting Undead)
But other than that - they are pretty good!

If this is your first Box group - Then I would go with a SK, SHM, and then throw in anything - WIZ, BST, RNG, Mag or Anything you love playing.
Its a whole different method of playing when you are tanking stuff at lvl 115+.

Dont write the wizards off completely just yet. They can still do a lot of damage - its just that they are currently under a Nec, Mag, Rog, Ber, Bst, Dru, Enc - but they are better dps than a cleric. (Unless we are fighting Undead)
But other than that - they are pretty good!

If this is your first Box group - Then I would go with a SK, SHM, and then throw in anything - WIZ, BST, RNG, Mag or Anything you love playing.
Its a whole different method of playing when you are tanking stuff at lvl 115+.
thank you for the advice, maybe ill bring the wiz out of retirement since i have him sitting around and see how it goes. i guess the worst that can happen is that i reretire him.

thats funny, better dps than a cleric, but only sometimes.

You've gotta decide how you're going to handle mobs that summon and hit like a truck. Everyone says SK, but I'll be in the minority and say that Pals have just as good an aggro keeping ability, and they can survive most encounters with just a sham healing because they can add heals themselves plus group heals and cures. The rogue plugin is great and i'm a fan of melee dps because it never runs out of mana.

maybe ill bring the wiz out of retirement since i have him sitting around and see how it goes.
The downside of the wizzy is that there's no CWTN plugin for wizzies yet, so you'll have to run it on kissassist. It's totally doable, but until you hit 120 or really know how to setup your own ini file it'll always feel like a work in progress.

At end game, I think the warrior is a slightly better tank. At low levels, the SK has a much easier time holding aggro. The shaman is a weaker healer at lower levels, but apparently quite good at end game with good AA's. If this is your first crew, I would go SK and CLR. Since you are already doing a mage, power levelling other toons would be pretty easy to try other options.

So I ended up going SK/CLR/ENCH/WIZ/MAG\NEC.

Itā€™s working great so far. Some things I find interesting. All 4 of the isnā€™t casters all vie for top dps depending on the fight and how long it lasts. I was surprised the enchanters dps. Typically short fights itā€™s the wiz/sk, medium fights itā€™s the mag, long fights the necro pulls ahead along with the ench.

SK feels kinda squishy honestly. There have been a few times where I get killed super quickly when itā€™s 2 mobs on the initial pull. Could be I donā€™t know how to handle an sk or the rgmercs cleric isnā€™t that good.

You've gotta decide how you're going to handle mobs that summon and hit like a truck. Everyone says SK, but I'll be in the minority and say that Pals have just as good an aggro keeping ability, and they can survive most encounters with just a sham healing because they can add heals themselves plus group heals and cures. The rogue plugin is great and i'm a fan of melee dps because it never runs out of mana.

The downside of the wizzy is that there's no CWTN plugin for wizzies yet, so you'll have to run it on kissassist. It's totally doable, but until you hit 120 or really know how to setup your own ini file it'll always feel like a work in progress.
Just how good are the CWTN plug-ins? Iā€™ve considered getting it for the SK, CLR, and ENC s as they are my most vital roles and an edge is an edge. If the difference that big for dps also?

Just how good are the CWTN plug-ins? Iā€™ve considered getting it for the SK, CLR, and ENC s as they are my most vital roles and an edge is an edge. If the difference that big for dps also?
Worth every dollar and then some. You can try if you like but $20 is a great price and they rock!

Go with pet strength.
Staples: MAG, NEC, ENC

Leaves you 3 slots for a tank, healer, and "other"

Put an SK in there as they are universally the best tank to have and have a cool pet to boost the mage DPS
SHM - same reason, and to provide synergy to all the pets via epic clickie, ADPS group buffs, etc etc. They are also a badass healer

Last slots yours to consider:
Mage - Another top DPS contender int his group setup
BST - Provies additional mana regen, if you feel you might run out of mana often he will keep you up and running. his personal DPS will be lower but hopefully will make up for it by allowing your group a nonstop battery
BRD - who doesnt like a bard in every group!?
DRU - +debuffs and nukes/dots to boot, and back up heals

I put it in order of my preference, but ultimately, its your choice.

They are probably 100x better than me trying to alt-tab between chars on my own, 5x better than just plain kissassist without a custom ini for each character tailored to their level and spells, and still better than if you spent 100 hours learning how to optimize your own ini for every character. For the cost of a mcdonalds lunch you can eat like a king in game for a year. This is especially true for the enchanter if you're going to ask it to do crowd control not just buff and nuke.

Sorry if I am missing something painfully obvious, but might I ask what the 'test build' is? I would love to try out CWTN plugins, to see if they jive with my OCD nature.

Thanks!
"test build" is the "test server build"

I was not aware that they were available to use without purchase, on the test server build. I assumed it meant something else.

PAL/DRU is great but i had them both sub'ed. I am not sure what the main difference would be having a DRU FTP however. I really did like it, overlaping buffs, and DRU was only main healing per my KISS.ini. Still threw in a couple of dots here and there with other things too.

I also have a partial raid PAL and this helped. Just did a few pickup raids for ores and get the following: Neck, Arms, Legs, Chest, Primary & Shield, Range = 7 Raid ores total. DRU Only had Neck & Range Raid ore.

Still try it and see how you like it. Id say probably not for everyone, and SK/DRU is better for the mana the SK gives back to group.

Ive also ran the SK/DRU/SHM for kicks and was fun too change the DRU KISS.ini around a bit.

I

i downloaded the test build last night to check it out but I didnā€™t see the
They are probably 100x better than me trying to alt-tab between chars on my own, 5x better than just plain kissassist without a custom ini for each character tailored to their level and spells, and still better than if you spent 100 hours learning how to optimize your own ini for every character. For the cost of a mcdonalds lunch you can eat like a king in game for a year. This is especially true for the enchanter if you're going to ask it to do crowd control not just buff and nuke.
yea Iā€™m going to give them a test tonight, they sound amazing and having a better tan/healer/cc would be great.

Question - First six box (Necro, Mag, Enc, X, X, X)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back