• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place (1 Viewer)

Kingkiller71

RedCents
1,255¢
Okay, so I have a group of 120 warrior, 120 mage and 120 mage and 3 mercs (3 x ftp accounts to come, they're in the 60s at the moment.

I've bought the latest armour that I can 'make' and have a few weapons in the 110-120 range.

My war has about 280k hps buffed, each mage around 220k hps buffed.

I can't do Griklor - he owned me fast, I can't do Cactii as it needs me to do the 2nd stage of the progression where I have to head into Howling Stones and it's a nightmare to pull in there. (both of these had been earlier suggestions on grinding out gear / augs).

I need augs / upgrades somehow. I have mainly 0 augs other than the ones you can buy from running Gribbles over and over. But I can't seem to nail down a HA to grind the currency to buy any augs, or beat the named mobs necessary to earn them.

So, I feel like I'm in Limbo. I feel like I need the augs / gear to make my war tank better, but I need him to tank better now so I can get the augs lol.

Currently, I'm grinding AA in Lceanium where I can kill the named easily but they drop very few augs. I can grind in EV / GD but not really tried a named - Griklor kind of scared me away. I also hate any kind of dungeon zone as I have no CC so anything more than 2-3 mobs and it's tough. (I'm currently trying to get my 105 enchanter levelled).

Am I doing something wrong? All three accounts are Gold. I could buy krono and sell it and just buy the upgrades, but that feels a bit pointless.

Okay, so I have a group of 120 warrior, 120 mage and 120 mage and 3 mercs (3 x ftp accounts to come, they're in the 60s at the moment.

I've bought the latest armour that I can 'make' and have a few weapons in the 110-120 range.

I can't do Griklor - he owned me fast, I can't do Cactii as it needs me to do the 2nd stage of the progression where I have to head into Howling Stones and it's a nightmare to pull in there.

I need augs / upgrades somehow. I have mainly 0 augs other than the ones you can buy from running Gribbles over and over. But I can't seem to nail down a HA to grind the currency to buy any augs, or beat the named mobs necessary to earn them.

So, I feel like I'm in Limbo. I feel like I need the augs / gear to make my war tank better, but I need him to tank better now so I can get the augs lol.

Currently, I'm grinding AA in Lceanium where I can kill the named easily but they drop very few augs. I can grind in EV / GD but not really tried a named - Griklor kind of scared me away. I also hate any kind of dungeon zone as I have no CC so anything more than 2-3 mobs and it's tough. (I'm currently trying to get my 105 enchanter levelled).

Am I doing something wrong? All three accounts are Gold. I could buy krono and sell it and just buy the upgrades, but that feels a bit pointless.
did you b-line to 120 and not have the respective AAs? you really need to have the appropriate AAs and gear for the levels you're trying to hunt in, otherwise you make your own life harder.

I would work on getting the best T1 gear from the bazaar
gribbles is not the answer for 120s.

No CC at all is going to hurt you pretty big - same with no #Real healer

there are 4 summoned mage (type 7) augs you can get right out of the gate - better than empty slots

did you b-line to 120 and not have the respective AAs? you really need to have the appropriate AAs and gear for the levels you're trying to hunt in, otherwise you make your own life harder.

I would work on getting the best T1 gear from the bazaar
gribbles is not the answer for 120s.

No CC at all is going to hurt you pretty big - same with no #Real healer
Yes, I basically levelled from 110-120 via Overseer on those chars. I'm grinding AA out on a daily basis but it's slow at moment (around 20 per lesson in Lceanium).

Agree with the CC, I have a bard, shaman and cleric on FTP that I'm levelling up.

From what you say, I guess I should just continue to grind for a few weeks until the 3 x FTP classes get up to around 115 and can join up to make a full group?

So, second question, I guess with LS coming out in December, is it worth waiting to see what the gear will look like there before I blow a few million on current gear?

PS: Wow, quick response!! :)

From what you say, I guess I should just continue to grind for a few weeks until the 3 x FTP classes get up to around 115 and can join up to make a full group?

Mark 7.11.-14.11. on your calendar!

• Stretch Goal! $125,000 - 200% bonus experience gains, 200% more likely rare spawns, 155% more loot, 100% increased coins, 100% increased alternate currency, 40% decreased collections spawn rate, and 100% bonus evolving item exp.

Mark 7.11.-14.11. on your calendar!

• Stretch Goal! $125,000 - 200% bonus experience gains, 200% more likely rare spawns, 155% more loot, 100% increased coins, 100% increased alternate currency, 40% decreased collections spawn rate, and 100% bonus evolving item exp.
Yes, I've seen that. It gives me a dilemma; grind AAs during that week, or get my FTP to 115?

Mq2grind - the darkness howls. If you can manage without cc (maybe 105 enc is good enough even). Grind out those defensive AA on the tank will really help.
That's another option. I hear there's a few points where all the mobs hang out together, would need an enchanter or bard for that? I also have 105 SK, so could switch out tank and get puller as well as tank, but that would be another character to level / AA / gear

Did you do any progression for the Heroic AA? For example:

• Hero's Fortitude: Increases your armor class, attack power and the maximum amount of attack you can gain from items by 10 points per rank.
  • Hero's Resolution: Increases your base statistics and the maximum that your base statistics can be increased by items and spells by 5 points per rank. Additionally this ability increases your natural hit point, mana and endurance regeneration and the maximum that your hit point and mana regeneration can be increased by items by 2 points per rank.
  • Hero's Vitality: Increases your maximum hit points, mana, endurance as well as how far below zero your hit points can fall before you die by 25 points per rank.
These start in COTF and should be fairly easy with your current levels. You'll want to do the Partisan and Mercenary tasks starting in that expansion. Makes a huge difference. If you focus on this now then you won't waste the bonus time coming up.

Did you do any progression for the Heroic AA? For example:

• Hero's Fortitude: Increases your armor class, attack power and the maximum amount of attack you can gain from items by 10 points per rank.
  • Hero's Resolution: Increases your base statistics and the maximum that your base statistics can be increased by items and spells by 5 points per rank. Additionally this ability increases your natural hit point, mana and endurance regeneration and the maximum that your hit point and mana regeneration can be increased by items by 2 points per rank.
  • Hero's Vitality: Increases your maximum hit points, mana, endurance as well as how far below zero your hit points can fall before you die by 25 points per rank.
These start in COTF and should be fairly easy with your current levels. You'll want to do the Partisan and Mercenary tasks starting in that expansion. Makes a huge difference. If you focus on this now then you won't waste the bonus time coming up.
No, don't think I was aware of these. I'll look them up. Thanks

You need augs badly ... your tank should have about double his current hp's.

AC/HP augs for the type 7/8 augs and heroic dex augs for the type 5 augs ... you can kill EoK nameds so start there and work on hunting increasingly better augs as you can handle it. The rest of your group will naturally build out as you work gear and aa's on your tank.

Oh there are tradeskill augs that add a nice chunk of ac also ".... of security"

for your tank , you need gear.. AA's and Augs .. im assuming you have up to NoS sense you said your lvl 120 and you mentioned LS in december .. so you should be able to buy T1 NoS gear visibles .. ask around people are giving it away .. next until you can get better augs do the TBM quests on repeat and buy yourself some augs with the remnants .. if you can kill 1 named in ToV rinse and repeat to get the ore to get augs if not look up augs there are some decent ones from EoK , RoS .. heck if your heroic you can even do the HoT quests they give your tank augs .. also ask a friendly mage to summon you 4 of their augs .. they are non-prestige i think but they give good AC /hps they go in the head, feet, legs and shoulder iirc..

AA's grind grind grind .. your tank needs AA's .. did you turn on Autogrant ? your lvl 120 do you have the lvl 119 powersource .. luclin defender source .. will give good stats ..

in a few days will have bonus xp for a week .. grind those aa's on your tank .. your tank is the most important toon you have and he needs to be taken care of first .. focus on him put a good weeks worth of grinding and getting him all set up with gear and augs .. and read and research his AA's and what they do and his Discs.. once you have your tank set up and good to go .. the rest will fall into place and your tank will be much better to handle the lvl appropriate mobs ..

its been awhile sense ive played my warrior but do you have his defensive AA's enabled .. there is an AA that you have to cast each time your in battle in a new zone gives you alot more power and defence buff ... plus dont forget your champions aura and your brace for impact and blade whirl AA lines .. also if you do not have autogrant aa's enabled your prolly missing out on physical enhancement aa's .. and your natural durability AA.. as well as your CS and CA .. those are all very important aa's ..

there are a lot of good ideas on these responces above ... you can do this .. just takes a lil time and focus on your tank .. you wont regret it once he is more beefier..

good luck .. let us know how it goes over the next few weeks ..

The quickest augs for warrior are from cobalt scar, morweena undertow. I would recommend grinding in Maiden's Eye or Umbral plains. Can probably upgrade some gear while grinding there. I would recommend priortizing tank for gear, then EM earrings for mage, then the rest. I hope that helps some.

If you are struggling and have your AA BUT don't have augs then start hunting named mobs in EoK. Start in Lcenium or Frontier Mountains. Give the best to your tank, rest get hand me downs. Once you are less squishy start some progression. I would fill out the group with 3 ftp toons, CC, Healer, then whatever sounds fun before doing anything. Ditch the mercs and never look back. You have MQ. You are past mercs, congratulations.

That's another option. I hear there's a few points where all the mobs hang out together, would need an enchanter or bard for that? I also have 105 SK, so could switch out tank and get puller as well as tank, but that would be another character to level / AA / gear
personally , i would switch to the SK unless you plan on raiding with the warrior .. you'll thank me later .. can never go wrong with an SK .. and now is the perfect time to switch with the bonus xp coming up .. you can have that SK 120 in a week plus AA's and gear.. you will have a puller , dps , tank, snarer all rolled up into 1 toon .. can even self heal decently .. Switch just Do IT !! :P you said you dont have many AA's yet and no augs or very few .. so you wouldnt be loosing out on much .. just lvls really and those are easy to get .. with bonus

If you are struggling and have your AA BUT don't have augs then start hunting named mobs in EoK. Start in Lcenium or Frontier Mountains. Give the best to your tank, rest get hand me downs. Once you are less squishy start some progression. I would fill out the group with 3 ftp toons, CC, Healer, then whatever sounds fun before doing anything. Ditch the mercs and never look back. You have MQ. You are past mercs, congratulations.
he mentions that he is lvling 3 F2P toons up but they are only lvl 60atm .. iirc

P.S @ Kingkiller71 .. you can group your F2P alts with your main toons at lvl 90 .. true they wont be much help but they will lvl alot faster also during bonus youwill all get experience instead of having 2 seperate groups that you have to split your time on .. what server are you on ?

for your tank , you need gear.. AA's and Augs .. im assuming you have up to NoS sense you said your lvl 120 and you mentioned LS in december .. so you should be able to buy T1 NoS gear visibles .. ask around people are giving it away .. next until you can get better augs do the TBM quests on repeat and buy yourself some augs with the remnants .. if you can kill 1 named in ToV rinse and repeat to get the ore to get augs if not look up augs there are some decent ones from EoK , RoS .. heck if your heroic you can even do the HoT quests they give your tank augs .. also ask a friendly mage to summon you 4 of their augs .. they are non-prestige i think but they give good AC /hps they go in the head, feet, legs and shoulder iirc..

AA's grind grind grind .. your tank needs AA's .. did you turn on Autogrant ? your lvl 120 do you have the lvl 119 powersource .. luclin defender source .. will give good stats ..

in a few days will have bonus xp for a week .. grind those aa's on your tank .. your tank is the most important toon you have and he needs to be taken care of first .. focus on him put a good weeks worth of grinding and getting him all set up with gear and augs .. and read and research his AA's and what they do and his Discs.. once you have your tank set up and good to go .. the rest will fall into place and your tank will be much better to handle the lvl appropriate mobs ..

its been awhile sense ive played my warrior but do you have his defensive AA's enabled .. there is an AA that you have to cast each time your in battle in a new zone gives you alot more power and defence buff ... plus dont forget your champions aura and your brace for impact and blade whirl AA lines .. also if you do not have autogrant aa's enabled your prolly missing out on physical enhancement aa's .. and your natural durability AA.. as well as your CS and CA .. those are all very important aa's ..

there are a lot of good ideas on these responces above ... you can do this .. just takes a lil time and focus on your tank .. you wont regret it once he is more beefier..

good luck .. let us know how it goes over the next few weeks ..
Thanks for the advice.

I have about 27k AA on my warrior right now, I have full Ascending Spirit armour, as well as a luclinite blade and ice fiend's blade as weapons. I just bought a 110 bow (ice striker?) and a 110 shoulder just to up my hps a bit.

I have 2 x 120 mages lol. Didn't realise they can summon augs - will look into that.

Yes, I have lots of AA buttons, I'm looking at getting them into some sort of ini file at moment so they'll fire when I'm playing. I use kissassist on my warrior even though I play him. I just pause it inbetween fights to go find another mob.

he mentions that he is lvling 3 F2P toons up but they are only lvl 60atm .. iirc

P.S @ Kingkiller71 .. you can group your F2P alts with your main toons at lvl 90 .. true they wont be much help but they will lvl alot faster also during bonus youwill all get experience instead of having 2 seperate groups that you have to split your time on .. what server are you on ?
I was thinking that, but I'll have to drop my mercs and I currently don't have a healer.

personally , i would switch to the SK unless you plan on raiding with the warrior .. you'll thank me later .. can never go wrong with an SK .. and now is the perfect time to switch with the bonus xp coming up .. you can have that SK 120 in a week plus AA's and gear.. you will have a puller , dps , tank, snarer all rolled up into 1 toon .. can even self heal decently .. Switch just Do IT !! :P you said you dont have many AA's yet and no augs or very few .. so you wouldnt be loosing out on much .. just lvls really and those are easy to get .. with bonus
I did roll the SK for that reason, but got carried away with my warrior as I created him back in 2000 and he was stuck in Aviak City in SK for the past 23 years :P

It was nice to play him again.

Have you thought of using one of your mages with an air pet as tank ? Pull with warrior then use Air pet with taunt on. I used the auto grant AA and my warrior started to suffer tanking, used mage pet with taunt. Also if you get a two pull, mage pet will tank one. Make sure to focus pet fortification on the mage pet if your pet tanking. Having an enhanced minion item for mage will help also.

King you could pick up a nice chunk of AC relatively easily by replacing that off hand with a shield, unless I'm misreading that your War is dual-wielding and he's actually running sword and board.

What server are you on? I might be able to help. At least with the Mage gear and some Plat for your warrior gear if you are on FV

That is a tough zone to grind AA with no crowd control the spiders add like crazy. Have you tried Overthere or Frontier Mountains?

You are actually between a rock and a Squishy place.

Step 1 - PL your other 3 toons to 90 - i hope they are (HEALER/CC/DPS) other wise you are doing everything wrong. Difficult to PL these toons at this level it will be more like assisted killing. You might want to consider Heroic these 3 toons.
Even if these 3 toons are ftp - they will outshine your mercs.
Step 2 - Get your tank up to a reasonable standard. Everything goes to the tank. I would try start at about Empires of Kunark and farm the shit out augs. It doesnt take long to find a list of augs.
You can get a list like this from Allah just showing Empires of Kunark and Ring of Scale. You should be able to handle this once you get your full group up to speed.
1699144065604.png

What if you cant kill a named? Take your group of 6 and split it like this.
Group 1
WAR
CLR
ENC
MERC DPS
MERC DPS
MERC CLR

Group 2
MAG
MAG
DPS
MERC TANK
MERC CLR
MERC CLR

Pull the named with your Group 2 and let your merc tank soak the damage while you kill it slowly /debuff/whatever. As soon as your merc tank falls - then you step in with WAR and take agro. Group 1 will finish the named off. Group 2 will probably get the kill but then loot it on WAR.

Step 3 - Going back to get the Hero AA's will be rock solid.
Step 4 - Move on to the next Expansion. Just farm the augs. - you will get aa at the same time.
Step 5 - Dont be in a rush - there are no prizes for winning EQ

I can't do Griklor - he owned me fast, I can't do Cactii as it needs me to do the 2nd stage of the progression where I have to head into Howling Stones and it's a nightmare to pull in there. (both of these had been earlier suggestions on grinding out gear / augs).

@Kingkiller71 you can oneshot griklor with just autogrant aa's at 110 with the right ini's and config. @Sic is right though you need the right AA's and clicky bp's to tank (Anguish, OOW, Current) on a war and also all the others Quality of Life (QOL) - Unity Feather, etc...there's a post I did for SK a while back search forums for it you can get most of the clicky you need to get from there...

Thanks for the advice.

I have about 27k AA on my warrior right now, I have full Ascending Spirit armour, as well as a luclinite blade and ice fiend's blade as weapons. I just bought a 110 bow (ice striker?) and a 110 shoulder just to up my hps a bit.

I have 2 x 120 mages lol. Didn't realise they can summon augs - will look into that.

Yes, I have lots of AA buttons, I'm looking at getting them into some sort of ini file at moment so they'll fire when I'm playing. I use kissassist on my warrior even though I play him. I just pause it inbetween fights to go find another mob.

I was thinking that, but I'll have to drop my mercs and I currently don't have a healer.

I did roll the SK for that reason, but got carried away with my warrior as I created him back in 2000 and he was stuck in Aviak City in SK for the past 23 years :P

It was nice to play him again.
the augs from mages come from there Cauldron of endless abundance and Cauldron of endless goods items on a 30min CD and dont get them every time .. you can prolly search baz for them . one of the item named is Solus` burnished gemstone 80ac and 400 hp/m/e plus some stats.. legs/feet slot so you can have 2 of them they are not lore and the other one is for head / shoulder ..

you def gonna need a healer .. a merc healer will get by for most stuff but when you get into the tougher named and missions your gonna want that real healer box.. shaman or cleric pref .. with an sk you could prolly do druid but I would stick with shm or cleric ..

Everyone has been saying go get your heroic AA's , its ok advice and eventually yes you want to do them .. but the progression takes time to do all those heroic AA's and your objective should be to get your tank up to par via AA's and augs .. you can go back and do the heroics when you have more time .. especially with bonus xp coming up you dont want to be wasting your bonus xp time with going back and doing old expansion progression that wont net you alot of AA's or xp .. vs lvling your alts and AAing your warrior / SK whichever you decide on .. besides if your doing Eok, RoS , and ToV progression while you lvl up and grind AA's you will get those heroic AA 's in time as you complete those expansions .. and EoK , RoS and ToV still give ok experience and AA's especially during 200% bonus xp .. some of those EoK merc/part give like 50AA's each can get 200 easily .. iirc the heroic AA's start in RoF or CoTF so @ 120 your not going to be getting a ton of xp going back and doing those right now ..

I dont think you ever did mention what server your on .. I might be able to help you out if your on Bertox.. either by PLing an alt or 2 or helping you with getting some augs etc or even some pp .. let me know .. your prolly on FV everyone picks FV :P

anyways good luck ..

P.S.. get your war (if you decide to stay with him) a blood-soaked war weapon .. on bertox saw one going for 1.5m other day .. and if you go SK there claymore blood-soaked can get for around 2.5 to 3m .. i bought 2 or 3 in last few weeks for 3m each ..

Thanks again for all your efforts and advice. It truly is humbling to get some much help so quickly. I had given up on the EQ community ever being the same as it was in those first early years back in 1999.

However, the offers of help and advice on this site really shows that it hasn't died at all. :)

the augs from mages come from there Cauldron of endless abundance and Cauldron of endless goods items on a 30min CD and dont get them every time .. you can prolly search baz for them . one of the item named is Solus` burnished gemstone 80ac and 400 hp/m/e plus some stats.. legs/feet slot so you can have 2 of them they are not lore and the other one is for head / shoulder ..

you def gonna need a healer .. a merc healer will get by for most stuff but when you get into the tougher named and missions your gonna want that real healer box.. shaman or cleric pref .. with an sk you could prolly do druid but I would stick with shm or cleric ..

Everyone has been saying go get your heroic AA's , its ok advice and eventually yes you want to do them .. but the progression takes time to do all those heroic AA's and your objective should be to get your tank up to par via AA's and augs .. you can go back and do the heroics when you have more time .. especially with bonus xp coming up you dont want to be wasting your bonus xp time with going back and doing old expansion progression that wont net you alot of AA's or xp .. vs lvling your alts and AAing your warrior / SK whichever you decide on .. besides if your doing Eok, RoS , and ToV progression while you lvl up and grind AA's you will get those heroic AA 's in time as you complete those expansions .. and EoK , RoS and ToV still give ok experience and AA's especially during 200% bonus xp .. some of those EoK merc/part give like 50AA's each can get 200 easily .. iirc the heroic AA's start in RoF or CoTF so @ 120 your not going to be getting a ton of xp going back and doing those right now ..

I dont think you ever did mention what server your on .. I might be able to help you out if your on Bertox.. either by PLing an alt or 2 or helping you with getting some augs etc or even some pp .. let me know .. your prolly on FV everyone picks FV :P

anyways good luck ..

P.S.. get your war (if you decide to stay with him) a blood-soaked war weapon .. on bertox saw one going for 1.5m other day .. and if you go SK there claymore blood-soaked can get for around 2.5 to 3m .. i bought 2 or 3 in last few weeks for 3m each ..
I'm on Bristlebane. I rolled my characters in 1999 on the Tribunal server and over time it merged into Bristlebane.

I'm tempted to drop a mage + merc from my group and bring in the SK just to get him slowly levelling whilst I'm doing the easier content. The unfortunate aspect for me is so many characters are across the same 3 accounts.

Account1
120 Druid
120 War
105 Shaman
105 mage

Account2
120 Mage
116 Bst
105 SK

Account3
120 Rogue
120 MAge
106 Necro
106 Enchanter

I have 3 x ftp accounts now with a 65 Cleric, 65 Shaman and 65 Bard so these three will be my merc replacements for any three characters from the account above.

here is what I would do ..

you cant go wrong with a warrior .. they have the best mitigation and plenty of discs .. with a properly geared warrior with augs and AA 's you dont necessarily have to worry much about crowd control . you can pull 5 to 10 mobs and not worry bout mezzing .. but thats all they are good for is being a meat shield .. you absolutely have to have a healer in group as the only way the warrior wont die is to be healed .. they cannot self heal .. but your warrior is already 120 so prolly best to stick with him for now ..

Accnt #1 Warrior
Accnt #2 Bst
Accnt #3 Mage
F2P #1 or #2 cleric or shaman ( or both)
F2P#3 Bard

BST and Mage and Shaman will be DpS with bard adding Adps ..
Cleric main healer with shaman as back up .. shaman should be able to focus on dps unless cleric falls in battle
bard even though doesnt need to CC you have it as an option if need be..
high lvl shamans can do some amazing DPS .. and they never run out of mana with Canni ..
warriors can even put out some decent dps if they just doing trash stuff .. if fighting named or tough multi pull adds you'll want sword and board..

this setup will let you keep your warrior and pretty much all your high lvl toons .. throw your 120 druid in the same fellowship as your main group and when you need to port log warrior out log druid in and port group to where you need to go drop campfire and click warrior over once he logs back in ..

This IS a bit of a mismatch of characters.

If you stick with the WAR/MAG/MAG/CLR/SHM/BRD you only have one problem - and that is you have doubled up on your healers, but this is still a group that can handle absolutely everything in the group game.

So go with what you enjoy playing.
You dont have too far to go with your ftp toons before you can actually group with some of your 105 toons - so PLing them shouldn't be too difficult.

Question - Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back