• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

EverQuest PC Building & Laptop Guide (3 Viewers)

MATX Gaming Rig
Username: V65
Date of build: March 2017 (tax return)
Purpose of PC: Everquest 6box, Fallout4, AutoCAD, SolidEdge, Abaquas FEA & CFD.
EQ graphics settings: All boxes running in windows at max graphics settings, no sound.

Processor: Intel - Core i7-7700K Quad-Core Processor , OC to 5.0 ghz
CPU cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Graphics: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070ti 8 GB Gaming Video Card
Audio: Stock
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1tb M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage2: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1tb 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Corsair - Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB mk2
Mouse: Logitech G900
Headset: Steelseries Arctis 7
Monitor: HP Omen32

Total cost at time of post: Not 100% sure, few items were cobbled from previous builds but I would guess about $2000 or so.

Last edited:
Looking for something I could build that would run 18+ clients for less than $500. Even a prebuilt would work! Can anybody help?

Last edited:
Looking for something I could build that would run 18+ clients for less than $500. Even a prebuilt would work! Can anybody help?

to run so many clients, processor doesn't matter so much, its memory you want so you want to factor at least 1gb per client so thats 18gb+. Next to the processor Memory is the next most expensive component.
So start looking at an AMD Ryzen with at least 32gb of memory and price in any video card at least $75+, a 500gb SSD and you should be good to go. I should think you should be able to build a system around those specs for under $500.

Personally thou i prefer Intel I5-I7 processors which would bump your price up.

i recently put an i5 system together for under 500UK pounds although i only used a 240gb SSD as i already had a couple of 2tb standard hard drives to use in it.

note above not counting monitor

to run so many clients, processor doesn't matter so much, its memory you want so you want to factor at least 1gb per client so thats 18gb+. Next to the processor Memory is the next most expensive component.
So start looking at an AMD Ryzen with at least 32gb of memory and price in any video card at least $75+, a 500gb SSD and you should be good to go. I should think you should be able to build a system around those specs for under $500.

Personally thou i prefer Intel I5-I7 processors which would bump your price up.

i recently put an i5 system together for under 500UK pounds although i only used a 240gb SSD as i already had a couple of 2tb standard hard drives to use in it.

note above not counting monitor

my last build my ram cost me 1000 us, but I got myself 64g of ram though

64gbs is really a waste. I built a system in august

AMD 2700x
64gbs Ram
AMD RX 580

The system starts to stutter and lag around 42 (7 groups). With 32 gbs of ram I can still run 6 groups with no system lag. So it's either the CPU or the GPU thats causing it even though with 42 toons the CPUs only at 65%.

I just built a new system last night same CPU/gpu. I spent $450 at microcenter for the CPU,MB,PSU,HD,Case. I bought the GPU on ebay for $120. used half the ram from the other system that wasn't being used anyway. Although Ram is CHEAP right now its $159 on newegg for 32 gbs of DDR4 no matter what speed you want 3000,2400,2633 its all the same price right now. So for maybe $750 you can build a system that can run 36-42 toons.

most likely the same specs as your 64g system is what i am running, I do alot of tasks while running eq include tabbed browsing and mesh generating as well as remote work. I will be doing cad work also so the ram is not used now but will be

64gbs is really a waste. I built a system in august

AMD 2700x
64gbs Ram
AMD RX 580

I just built a new system last night same CPU/gpu. I spent $450 at microcenter for the CPU,MB,PSU,HD,Case. I bought the GPU on ebay for $120. used half the ram from the other system that wasn't being used anyway. Although Ram is CHEAP right now its $159 on newegg for 32 gbs of DDR4 no matter what speed you want 3000,2400,2633 its all the same price right now. So for maybe $750 you can build a system that can run 36-42 toons.

mind posting the other parts? im looking at doing the same but the cpu alone is $270

mind posting the other parts? im looking at doing the same but the cpu alone is $270

ya ill just copy and paste the order from microcenter website.

PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply
PNY CS900 120GB TLC NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
Thermaltake Core V21 mATX Mini-Tower Computer Case - Black
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 mATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Prism Coo

Tax: $33.13
Order Total: $473.08

You can get 32 gbs of ram on newegg right now for $159 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232660

I bought the AMD RX 580 on ebay for $120 but you can get one brand new from microcenter for $169 right now https://www.microcenter.com/product...eon-rx-580-dual-fan-8gb-gddr5-pcie-video-card

Thats what $803 ? if you buy the GPU brand new? I didnt have to buy ram so i only spent $600 and im boxing 36 toons on it right now and could probably load one more group. My other system is setup the same but has a way better motherboard and case and H110I liquid cooler. I went alittle too far on that one :)

The best thing about the case is you can stack them ontop of each other to save space. Right now my other 2 desktops are using HUGE ass cases that are just absurd. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...r case&cm_re=Thor_case-_-11-147-158-_-Product

it looks awesome but never again.

ya ill just copy and paste the order from microcenter website.

PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply
PNY CS900 120GB TLC NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
Thermaltake Core V21 mATX Mini-Tower Computer Case - Black
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 mATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Prism Coo

Tax: $33.13
Order Total: $473.08

You can get 32 gbs of ram on newegg right now for $159 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232660

I bought the AMD RX 580 on ebay for $120 but you can get one brand new from microcenter for $169 right now https://www.microcenter.com/product...eon-rx-580-dual-fan-8gb-gddr5-pcie-video-card

Thats what $803 ? if you buy the GPU brand new? I didnt have to buy ram so i only spent $600 and im boxing 36 toons on it right now and could probably load one more group. My other system is setup the same but has a way better motherboard and case and H110I liquid cooler. I went alittle too far on that one :)

The best thing about the case is you can stack them ontop of each other to save space. Right now my other 2 desktops are using HUGE ass cases that are just absurd. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147158&Description=Thor case&cm_re=Thor_case-_-11-147-158-_-Product

it looks awesome but never again.

Thanks! Should share some pics of your setup

EverQuest PC Building & Laptop Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back