• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Equiping mage pets (1 Viewer)

I appreciate all the information on this thread. A couple of questions, would you bother equipping a chanter's pet and if so would you recommend tank gear or dps? Also which is better for a Beastlord pet?

I appreciate all the information on this thread. A couple of questions, would you bother equipping a chanter's pet and if so would you recommend tank gear or dps? Also which is better for a Beastlord pet?
Chanter pet- not with conflagrant, i put dimensional warrior on it, cheaper to make. Chanter pet sucks for life expectancy. I put summoned weapons and dimensional on it.
Beast Pet- absolutely, i put conflagrant gear and T1 ToV weapons on it

IDealy if its a Focusable pet, use conflagrant gear and T1 ToV weapons. if its non focusable (IE chanter/SK/Shm) dont use beyond summoned or at most dimensional

basically the way ive found is. Use highest pet focus item you can get. Pets 105+ i use Conflagrant Helm, Chest, Arms, Wristx1, Gloves, Legs, Boots. up to 110 i give Conflagrant weapons, mask, earring, neck, waist. 110+ i give Conflagrant visible/nonvis except any spare tov t1 i have. and i use ToV t1 weapons.

When Im pet tanking, i run air pet, i put Conflagrant Paly(or Sk depending on what i have in bank) vis. 2 ToV t1 1hb paly/sk weapons (and yes it procs both weapons, lots of rune procs) and any tov non vis i have laying in bags. My pet ROCKS it out well.
When DPS i use water pet, put conflagrant rog gear on it and tov t1 piecers.

from 80 to 105 i use Dimensional warrior gear and summoned weapons till 95. then dimenional warrior and crafted weapons.

MOST of the time, level requirements kick. HOWEVER the exception to this rule is the high level summoned armor. i can and ahve equipped a level 6 pet with the armor/jewelry then 2x fist of xiblat and watched that pet freaking wreck havoc on everything. 5-20 mobs at a time lol

basically the way ive found is. Use highest pet focus item you can get. Pets 105+ i use Conflagrant Helm, Chest, Arms, Wristx1, Gloves, Legs, Boots. up to 110 i give Conflagrant weapons, mask, earring, neck, waist. 110+ i give Conflagrant visible/nonvis except any spare tov t1 i have. and i use ToV t1 weapons.

When Im pet tanking, i run air pet, i put Conflagrant Paly(or Sk depending on what i have in bank) vis. 2 ToV t1 1hb paly/sk weapons (and yes it procs both weapons, lots of rune procs) and any tov non vis i have laying in bags. My pet ROCKS it out well.
When DPS i use water pet, put conflagrant rog gear on it and tov t1 piecers.

from 80 to 105 i use Dimensional warrior gear and summoned weapons till 95. then dimenional warrior and crafted weapons.

MOST of the time, level requirements kick. HOWEVER the exception to this rule is the high level summoned armor. i can and ahve equipped a level 6 pet with the armor/jewelry then 2x fist of xiblat and watched that pet freaking wreck havoc on everything. 5-20 mobs at a time lol
Mages rule, tanks drool

Again pet classes should never put an item on there pets back. Grab 2 each of the summoned augs from a mage. I don't remember a stun procced from a crafted weapon landing on anything, so i would scratch them off. I don't know if it has be said but, None pet classes do not get same benefit from wearing gear as pet classes. They may get the ac and hp but not the stats, so Gear other than weapons them selves will have little to no affect on dps. As for weapons i would focus on cheep weapons or summoned. Enc tank i would put 2 hate weapons on him and for dps it would depend. I would go with low delay or remote heal. Brightedge over looked but would be great for enc, sham, and maybe druid. . Remember pets are not affected by lore. As for beast lord it will depend on witch proc buffs he has cast on pet. I know the get spells to add procs to there pets, but i don't know what stacks with what or what is used together. If you can proc hate, target of target heals and melee slows, then i would put the fastest weapons i could find on him. 2 Conflagrant Claws or Conflagrant Battle Rod. If some proc was decreasing hate the 2 Conflagrant War Sword There may be benefits to other arrangements. If you need more heals there is Conflagrant Rod weapon with a remote heal and Conflagrant mace with direct damage and group heal(the effectiveness will depend weather or not your pet's spells set off the Sympathetic effect(do any pets use mana?). You can always use 2 of the same weapon to increase your chances of the proc you want After looking up some of his spells i think speed is the key to dps and hate for tanking. That Prism Skin line has a lot of decrease hate in them and there are many procs that decrease hate. In general i would look for high hp and ac when it comes to armor and jewelry. Pocs and focus from armor and jewelry don't matter as far as i can tell. PS it time to farm up some conflagrant ore and get my new water pet. Still have the same ones i had last year=)

Again pet classes should never put an item on there pets back. Grab 2 each of the summoned augs from a mage. I don't remember a stun procced from a crafted weapon landing on anything, so i would scratch them off. I don't know if it has be said but, None pet classes do not get same benefit from wearing gear as pet classes. They may get the ac and hp but not the stats, so Gear other than weapons them selves will have little to no affect on dps. As for weapons i would focus on cheep weapons or summoned. Enc tank i would put 2 hate weapons on him and for dps it would depend. I would go with low delay or remote heal. Brightedge over looked but would be great for enc, sham, and maybe druid. . Remember pets are not affected by lore. As for beast lord it will depend on witch proc buffs he has cast on pet. I know the get spells to add procs to there pets, but i don't know what stacks with what or what is used together. If you can proc hate, target of target heals and melee slows, then i would put the fastest weapons i could find on him. 2 Conflagrant Claws or Conflagrant Battle Rod. If some proc was decreasing hate the 2 Conflagrant War Sword There may be benefits to other arrangements. If you need more heals there is Conflagrant Rod weapon with a remote heal and Conflagrant mace with direct damage and group heal(the effectiveness will depend weather or not your pet's spells set off the Sympathetic effect(do any pets use mana?). You can always use 2 of the same weapon to increase your chances of the proc you want After looking up some of his spells i think speed is the key to dps and hate for tanking. That Prism Skin line has a lot of decrease hate in them and there are many procs that decrease hate. In general i would look for high hp and ac when it comes to armor and jewelry. Pocs and focus from armor and jewelry don't matter as far as i can tell. PS it time to farm up some conflagrant ore and get my new water pet. Still have the same ones i had last year=)
Meh, fire pets, summoned weapons is fine. You’re overdoing it, focus more on completing your pet clickies so you can have 30~ swarm pets up to max your of many line and do at least 2-3 mages with your alliance build. Not saying you’re wrong but you can get significantly larger gains adding swarms and mages than you can worrying about what a single pet is wielding. If you wanna go balls to the wall…get max clickies on all your chars, that’s up to 36+ pets cycling through on a 3-4 min timer.

Here’s a recommended class build.
- SK (because of pet)
- 2x Mages + pets
- Enchanter + pet
- Bard (dual wielding the fabled and regulat pet blades)
- Cleric for easy of play…or a shaman for crits on all pets, tank and bard…and of course another pet

Then get on all these chars:
- Prize: Dancing Blade of whaterver…long recast
- Amulet of the Mariner (TS/Bazaar)
- Bunny from loyalty Vendor
- Cloth Cap
- Ceramic pets from TS (pottery)/bazaar (like 95ish lvl)
- Arx clicky pet from TS (tinkering)/bazaar (like 95 lvl)
- Rune fo Tallon (The Barb pow)(summons a ranger clone of you, lasts a little while…like 95ish)
- Clicke ring with berserker aura from POW
- Make sure each of your mages is summoning and using their earth and fir pet clickies

Also get at least the Shivery earring of summonning from tov GD thos…you can get better i you’re prestige but i like mage boxes to be free.

That’ll show you what i’m talking about…once this teams start cycling through pets and using alliance you wont care about pet weapons. If your tank is strong enough go with fire pets because of nukes, enc and bard boost to their spells.

Game oVer berserkers…lol

Note: if anyone is running even a single mage highly recommend you still do this…even if you’re not a mage…makes burns a breeze

Second Note: for shits and giggles get a mysterious belt of daggers and get all the casters to summon 500 and autofire on every pull…lol…its just fantastic to see a wall of daggers coming out of the mages, enchanters, cleric

Final Note: weave in the firework clickies you get with your clot h cap on all your chars too…makes anyone standing by drool and go WTF is going on…lol

Last edited:
Doesn't 'Dimensional warrior gear' have a required lvl 100. I always thought pets won't benefit from any gear of a higher req lvl.
Isn't that the main reason to stick the lvl 86 summoned pet gear to low level pets, and as this gear has no req lvl assigned.

Am I wrong? Has something changed and I missed it?

@an_image i like the way you think. you reminded me i have weapons that proc pets. Radiant Orb of the Arch Magus

Doesn't 'Dimensional warrior gear' have a required lvl 100. I always thought pets won't benefit from any gear of a higher req lvl.
Isn't that the main reason to stick the lvl 86 summoned pet gear to low level pets, and as this gear has no req lvl assigned.

I know pets will not use a weapon proc when they are under req lvl. I'm pretty sure pet has handed stuff back to me. And wow you are on the ball I did not realize the had no level requirement. 😮

@an_image i like the way you think. you reminded me i have weapons that proc pets. Radiant Orb of the Arch Magus

I know pets will not use a weapon proc when they are under req lvl. I'm pretty sure pet has handed stuff back to me. And wow you are on the ball I did not realize the had no level requirement. 😮
Nice! I forgot about this one, could be useful as you work your way up. Need to pull this one off the wall and see if it makes sense to wield at higher lvls. Battlemage powah! I like it

for procs yes, but i have tested many times, and they DO use dimensional at 90, the stat increase is noticeable, and the max level summoned armor put on a low level pet does affect it even though the armor has a level requirement.

make a level 1, pl to level 2 get the air pet, gear it wiht 115 armor and jewelery, put 2 orbs on it and BLAM its a god

Figured id toss a few things in
1. Pets only care about 2 stats for all items, Delay and AC.
1.a. They will equip any weapon with lower delay then what they have equipped. once a pet has dual wield it will not equip a 2h weapon or a shield. Also, weapon delay is not used by the pet, it will always use its built in delay.
1.b. They will equip any item that has more AC then what they have equipped.
1.c. The back item, never give a pet anything if they have EM focus. EM focus gives them a cloak of enhancement (actual item, I've looted one off a pet, duel and charm, and kill a pet, its kinda complicated, but can be done). Heres an EM25 cloak.
2. Heres a link to magetower pet equpment, its 4 years old, but I'd bet the post is still relevant.

Question - Equiping mage pets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back