• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Equiping mage pets (1 Viewer)

notoriouskeef

RedCents
468¢
I just want to be sure I'm giving my new mage group the best dps. What summoned or not summoned items do you give your pet? Mages are 115. They all have an em earring.

Most of the XPAC we always equipped a Fire and Ice combo, but in ToV I go with Fire /Fire or Fire/Magic weapons.

If you are equipping only mage pets, then choose 1 or 2 that you want to be the MT and put rage swords on them, the rest mix in Fire/Magic if in ToV .. outside ToV, you can swap in an Ice blade for a magic.

Also Mage pets take the final 4 heirlooms that I have circled in the pic below, but nothing else then 2 swords.

1602638700949.png

Here are the 4 spells that you use to summon everything.. earlier spells cast the haste belt, but the visor replaces it.
1602638045368.png
1602638155018.png

Keef ........................... I noticed you have never given a red cent. at the far right, clik the red cent on the posts when folks give you help , or you like a post. You get 3 every day and it helps everyone to give and receive.

1602640321970.png

oh wow thats exactly what i need.

i never knew what the redcents were for i appologize. i sent you one

Thanks, I gave you one back.. When you give you get 1cent, when you receive your get 10 ! So it encourages everyone to help be active and helpful when they can.

In the upper right corner next to the search button is a button that says Redcents

here is the direct link to the shop , you can earn free months RG subs, and often 300 redcents = 1 krono when they have them in stock as well as other cool stuff .

https://www.redguides.com/community/redcent-shop/

I'm glad other mages give the full sha-bam! (weapons, heirlooms, armor, and mask). The extra stats may seem small but add all of them up and it makes a difference in the long run!

On my mage and necro (115) i give tov t1 trash weapons(except tank he gets rage swords) and either diminsional gear or conflagrant gear.

Your pet will benifit from pretty much any trash gear you want to give it. more hps, atk, luck. On weapons the weapons from TOV seriously increase its dps

my pets are in config gear been using same pets for months. skip stun procs they don't work to well. ps pets can use 2 lore weapons.

Speaking under correction here.

There is one item to never give a focused pet: Back item e.g Cloak
The pet focus create and equips that and if you replace it all those nice stats are gone. Nothing you can give it is greater than that back item.

Someone confirm/deny: Pets ignore weapon delay and can equip 2x 2hd

PS: Pets take EoK+ merc gear. Much better stats than the playermade items. ear/ring/neck/shoulder

Last edited:
Speaking under correction here.

There is one item to never give a focused pet: Back item e.g Cloak
The pet focus create and equips that and if you replace it all those nice stats are gone. Nothing you can give it is greater than that back item.

Someone confirm/deny: Pets ignore weapon delay and can equip 2x 2hd

PS: Pets take EoK+ merc gear. Much better stats than the playermade items. ear/ring/neck/shoulder
can you give an example what to give to a newly summoned pet

can you give an example what to give to a newly summoned pet
I usually just give pets whatever i have in inventory (weapons/any merc gear I have) ToV at this stage is not a problem.

If I go all out then merc gear EoK (as I have a ton of that), 2x T1 / conflagrant gear, visible dimensional player made, ring/earring conflagrant

my newly summoned mage pets wont accept mask or armor. they only accept jewlry and weapons. any reason why?
if u have a current EM they wont accept the summoned stuff, however if you craft some like dimensional warrior or conflagrant and pass it to them, they WILL accept that.

Typically for my TANK pet i put full conflagrant vis and non vis, and 1 ragesword (summoned) and 1 ToV t1 1h weapon. On my necro that pet was gotten at 112 with golden earring focus its yellow till 114 then white and blue at 115. and tanks T1 and even some t2 tov NP at all, even 2 mobs at a time.(excepting belt cloak and face)

Mage water pet, i do full conflagrant and 2x ToV t1 piercers. excepting only belt/cloak/face. pet gets a TON of 700k crits cause of the luck and stats from gear. With just summoned gear/weapons it does 300k crits. with summoned gear and T1 weapons it does 500k's.

If im doing something i know its prolly gonna die, i use dimensional warrior gear and t1 weapons

So now comes the question, instead of having an EM focus when you summon, you take out the EM focus and give them the conflag/EoK/ToV gear. Would that increase their dps more than the EM focused pet? I use the IE earring.

EDIT: Seems like my question was answered the same time I was writing! Thanks arander!

There is usually a flood of conflag and dimensional gear on test. Going to get some and give to my pets. That is a big difference in dps crits between 300k vs 500k/700k. My mage is already the top dps in my groups and now its going to be even higher?! Heck ya!

the items have to be better than what they're wearing. Dimensional war armor and other cheep craft item in same expansion are good. You can use 4 of the summoned aug in the, but DON'T PUT ANY ON HIS BACK, that's were his buff is. Also none pet classes don't get much if any benif from these items. I have often wondered about using 2 remote heal weapons. Full group of mages would mean 12 weapons.

I just try to hand a 2h to a bst warder and he did not take it, but it took 2X 1hander
I don't think pets can use 2hd, but swear i remember seeing my brother do it and maybe even a sheild. that would have been somewhere around 2000,

i'm sorry i'm still a little unclear on a few things.
1. Summon pet with or without em on?
2. give pet highest stat gear possible (ac?) , example conflagrant. every slot but back? (baz prices are a bit spendy on conflag, like over a 100k each, which stats should i be most concerned about)
3. either summoned weapons or tov tier 1/2 weapons?
4. give pet the summoned 4 heirlooms that were circled?

Last edited:
i'm sorry i'm still a little unclear on a few things.
1. Summon pet with or without em on?
2. give pet highest stat gear possible (ac?) , example conflagrant. every slot but back? (baz prices are a bit spendy on conflag, like over a 100k each, which stats should i be most concerned about)
3. either summoned weapons or tov tier 1/2 weapons?
4. give pet the summoned 4 heirlooms that were circled?
1) summon pet WITH EM gear on the summoner.
2)gear would depend on pet. If your goin for pet tank (any class of pet, just having it tank) need highest ac. DPS its hps/atk/hstr/hdex/dex/str (IE mage water pet)
3)DPS pets =ToV t1 > than any summoned. Tank Pet=1 ragesword+1 ToV t1
4)if you are giving it dimensional or conflagrant no, it wont take any summoned. However you can do a mix of dimensional or conflagrant and finish filling slots with summoned(from the pic if u ddnt give it any crafted in those slots) Just do NOT put anything in its back slot(IE cloak) and the summoned belt is typically better than dropped/crafted

Basically I do this.
Necro has golden earring (EM XIV i believe) i summon his 112 tank pet. I put 1 rage sword from my mage summon sack, and 1 ToV t1 weapon(whatever i have spare in bags, no 2h. pet wont take any 2h) then i give him a full set of conflagrant vis and non vis(im a crafter so i craft it pretty cheap). Skipping only cloak and belt slots.
This equals the BEST tank pet you can get. I can put 3x t1 trash mobs on it and use healer merc and just burn them down with mage/necro

Mage also has golden earring. I summon his 112 water pet. I put conflagrant visibles and 2x T1 ToV piercing weapons, and finish wiht summoned jewelry.

These two at 115 can use 2 healer mercs and i usually end up pulling 2 to 3 mobs at a time and burning through them pretty well

if conflagrant stuff is too expensive, use dimensional warrior visibles and summoned non vis. Weapons i would keep the same

1) summon pet WITH EM gear on the summoner.
2)gear would depend on pet. If your goin for pet tank (any class of pet, just having it tank) need highest ac. DPS its hps/atk/hstr/hdex/dex/str (IE mage water pet)
3)DPS pets =ToV t1 > than any summoned. Tank Pet=1 ragesword+1 ToV t1
4)if you are giving it dimensional or conflagrant no, it wont take any summoned. However you can do a mix of dimensional or conflagrant and finish filling slots with summoned(from the pic if u ddnt give it any crafted in those slots) Just do NOT put anything in its back slot(IE cloak) and the summoned belt is typically better than dropped/crafted

Basically I do this.
Necro has golden earring (EM XIV i believe) i summon his 112 tank pet. I put 1 rage sword from my mage summon sack, and 1 ToV t1 weapon(whatever i have spare in bags, no 2h. pet wont take any 2h) then i give him a full set of conflagrant vis and non vis(im a crafter so i craft it pretty cheap). Skipping only cloak and belt slots.
This equals the BEST tank pet you can get. I can put 3x t1 trash mobs on it and use healer merc and just burn them down with mage/necro

Mage also has golden earring. I summon his 112 water pet. I put conflagrant visibles and 2x T1 ToV piercing weapons, and finish wiht summoned jewelry.

These two at 115 can use 2 healer mercs and i usually end up pulling 2 to 3 mobs at a time and burning through them pretty well

if conflagrant stuff is too expensive, use dimensional warrior visibles and summoned non vis. Weapons i would keep the same

that answers my questions perfectly! thank you for the time and help. well, looks like i wont be equipping them with conflag lol. would cost millions.

Last edited:
Sorry i did not pic up on what you were asking. I hate it when info is jumped over in an explanation, because it's second nature and done with out thinking. The earing is how you get the buff that increases your pet's power. It also puts armor on the pet. You only need to place the focus items and weapons'. (some one said you could put 2 writs, ring and ear, but i have never got 2 writs to stick) When you pet focus is a buff that is in the back slot, that is why several people said not to give back item. All i know about the belt is that so far i have never seen it proc. Also I do not know if the war face gives extra hate. You can place attunable items on a pet. The pet will not use range , ammo, power, and charm slots. It can use 2 one handed weapons' and is not affected by lore. It only has one slot for each each of the other locations. (it can only equip 1 ring, 1 ear, 1 wrist) You can put these augs in the legs feet head and shoulders before you give to pet. Tavon's Polished Gemstone Tavon's Burnished Gemstone. Call of the forsaken and the darken sea came out with with a lot of crafted items that use Ingredients that drop every were. If you farm up some ethernere essence and relic fragments (can be foraged). The other Ingredients leather roll, steel ingot, lumber etcetera drop every were (probably in your bags already). Click >> Equipment of the Ethernere to get some ideas and has war armor in it. Config Ingredients can be farmed in OT at Flamescale Overlord Takarious camp. Wood metal diamonds and silk from the sarnack will pile up quickly. Near by golems will give ore. I usually give pay with extra wood metal and diamonds.

can you put conflagrant armor on any level pet and get the benefits? level 1 pet?
rule of thumb is if it has a level requirement then follow it. There are armor and weapons without level requirements. There usually worth a lot a tribute.
also, i'm thinking something crazy here... if i were to aug a weapon can pets still use it?
if it is attunable + tradeable and level requirements for aug + weapon are met. Then that would fall in the rules, but i have never seen a weapon aug that would not attune when placed in a weapon. The would need to look some like the augs i posted earlier>>> Tavon's Burnished Gemstone. if your wanting a cool proc just look in the market for weapons that are not filtered out by raising the minimum level in the search.

Blas and Notoriouskeef
Blas - no, the pet has to be of level of the gear. I tried putting conflagrant on a 85 heroic mages pet and he just spit it back at me
Notoriouskeef - No, pets wont take no trade. The aug owuld have to be able to be placed without it making the item no trade. As of yet, i havent found any that work that way. (i have looked for +dmg mods, for +hate mods, and for +rune mods and none of them will apply and the pet take it cause it makes it no trade

Did some testing the last couple days. I equipped my mages with the dirk weapons from gd gave them lamas ring as well and i honestly forgot what belt i gave them but it was nothing special.. The rest were summoned items. Testing was done on over 400 mobs before and after new gear. Pets did over 15k more dps and max crit backstab was around 508k.

Im in the process of acquiring much better gear and weapons but baz is out of the items I need. It will probably take me all weekend to get the gear, I hope anyway.

I also have the mages summoning as many instant gate books as I can bc if im dropping this much plat on a pet i need to be able to bail fast.

I am currently parsing 3 mages. 1 with conflag and misc gear, and t1 weapons, 1 with t1 weapons and sum gear, and 1 with just summoned weapons. There are some noticeable results but I want to give them a couple more hours. I will post results after I get a better average, few hundred more kills.

All right here it is. Mages 115, all pet aa's done, pets were sumoned with em XXVIII 28.
Ref my above post. 1 =Ghost, 2=Lady, 3=Summer.

Ghost (mage 1) was geared with weapons: dirk of the dark blizzard, bone chilled spear. Gear: archon conflagrant breastplate, archon Greeves legs, archon vambraces arms, archon conflag boots, windchill hide belt, llama ring, chilling stud earring Summoned: bracelets x 2. I tried to add more gear but he wouldn't accept anything else.
If anyone wants to list any better gear they use please do. I would like to do more testing.

petparse.PNG

thoughts?

All right here it is. Mages 115, all pet aa's done, pets were sumoned with em XXVIII 28.
Ref my above post. 1 =Ghost, 2=Lady, 3=Summer.

Ghost (mage 1) was geared with weapons: dirk of the dark blizzard, bone chilled spear. Gear: archon conflagrant breastplate, archon Greeves legs, archon vambraces arms, archon conflag boots, windchill hide belt, llama ring, chilling stud earring Summoned: bracelets x 2. I tried to add more gear but he wouldn't accept anything else.
If anyone wants to list any better gear they use please do. I would like to do more testing.

View attachment 25013

thoughts?
Only thing i do dif is use the rogue confl instead of cleric.

But ur already averaging a nice increase with confl and t1 weaps

Try getting bst or ranger buffs for added dps

But looks like ur doing good as is now

Only thing i do dif is use the rogue confl instead of cleric.

But ur already averaging a nice increase with confl and t1 weaps

Try getting bst or ranger buffs for added dps

But looks like ur doing good as is now

ya ideally rogue conflag. there was none in baz at the time heh.

Question - Equiping mage pets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back