• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - EQClient Settings Reset (1 Viewer)

howlinhoss

RedCents
245¢
Does anyone have an issue where some EQClient settings reset after logging? Specifically my chat colors reset and badword become filtered.

This happens when I box multiple chars.

If you're playing all the characters from the same directory and camp all of them out all at once, this can happen in my experience. I don't know if it's the client trying to apply all the client settings at the same time on logout or what the issue is, I just know that I could replicate it randomly when doing a /bcaa camp command so now I /bca camp and then a second later issue the camp command for the control toon. The client seems to not have an issue with a staggered logout but if you hammer it with a few all at once you're rolling the dice.

If you're playing all the characters from the same directory and camp all of them out all at once, this can happen in my experience. I don't know if it's the client trying to apply all the client settings at the same time on logout or what the issue is, I just know that I could replicate it randomly when doing a /bcaa camp command so now I /bca camp and then a second later issue the camp command for the control toon. The client seems to not have an issue with a staggered logout but if you hammer it with a few all at once you're rolling the dice.

I will try staggering my log out. I always do /bcaa //camp.

when I have seen this happen is as you load eq, the last account is the account that "keeps" its settings. I fix it by setting every account with the same settings

I did try changing settings on all accounts and it worked for a short time. Shouldnt all accounts use the same eqclient settings?

I did try changing settings on all accounts and it worked for a short time. Shouldnt all accounts use the same eqclient settings?
They should but when you camp out multiple toons it can mess things up writing to the same file with no file locking is a very bad idea /shakes finger at eqdevs, so what happens is it works then you logout and timing causes corruption in the eqclient.ini, you start up eq again, it tries to read eqclient.ini, finds corrupt file and uses defaults to get game loaded.

So what I do is,

1. make my changes
  2. log out to desktop
  3. log back in to verify that everything is correct
  4. incorrect go to step 1
  5. yes exit to desktop again
  6. go into eqfolder find eqclient.ini
  7. rightclick -> properties: set as readonly
Then eq has no permission to write to it and just silently fails / no crash. Keep in mind if you want to make changes again to first
  1. make a backup of eqclient.ini
  2. go into eqfolder find eqclient.ini
  3. rightclick -> properties: remove readonly flag

If you want to see a perfect example of the mess writing without file locks causes, look in your EQ directory accountname_characters.ini. Supposed to only contain characters that you logged in for that account... yeah mine is all kinds of messed up

Last edited:
Question - EQClient Settings Reset

Users who are viewing this thread

Back