• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - EQ framerate issues since 9/21 patch with MQ2 loaded (1 Viewer)

Yes, i went from being able to run 3 toons per core to only being able to run 2 per core with this last patch.

I have been tweaking stuff to see if i can solve this, unfortunately I haven't determined the cause yet.

Yes, i went from being able to run 3 toons per core to only being able to run 2 per core with this last patch.

I have been tweaking stuff to see if i can solve this, unfortunately I haven't determined the cause yet.

Seeing the same behavior here, as well. I haven't taken the time to try to troubleshoot, yet, though. I'm in the middle of finishing up my last academic requirement for another masters, so I haven't had time.

even after this morning stuttering, laggy, and nearly unplayable. good news is maybe my crashing is over. i checked task manager killed everything nonessential (can someone go shoot that cortana woman?) other than cortana, for some reason win 10 has decided that i need 2 of it running in bg no matter how many times i kill the process. 41% usage, shouldnt be doing this.

So here is the issue , I have , when I load MQ with 0 plugins fresh install nothing ever been used I lag like a mother F'er butttttttttttttt if I disable MQ with 6 toons running I dont lag period , ALSO here is the twist , I can use MQ with isboxer with 6 accounts with 0 lag WTF am I doing wrong ?>

Make sure windows defender is excluding your MQ and EQ folders. while running GINA it was trying to read my log file and lagging things out.

The thing I have noticed is now I cant start up Very Vanilla after I load my toons and have them logged in and in game. It immediately crashes them all to desktop with exe error. It is laggier though...laggyer...lager...LAGER....BEEERRR!

Make sure windows defender is excluding your MQ and EQ folders. while running GINA it was trying to read my log file and lagging things out.

This is not the problem. I've had those files/folders excluded for years (and re-did it when I was troubleshooting a crashing problem a little while ago). This is new.

Same problem here since the last EQ patch and MQ update + client push update. EQ runs fine until I load Very Vanilla, then I get about 1/2 second of movement and 5 seconds of freeze frame, even stripping the plugins down to just MQ2Ic.

If you're experience slowdown since the patch, can you post your CPU model? We're having trouble re-creating the issue, eqmule hasn't noticed any slowdown and neither have I.

I have noticed this also. It's not unplayable, but it is noticeable. Definitely something that has happened since the last patch, though, whatever it is.
i-7 6900k @3.2GHz
NVidia GTX 1070
I force each of my 16 toons onto their own core, if that makes any difference. In Task manager, total CPU usage on the system is only 32%. Not sure how accurate that is.
People are posting in the EQ forums about noticeable lag since the last patch, so it might be EQ, not MQ.

Last edited:
I run dual xeon x5670 (hex core, 3.33 GHz), with hyperthreading turned on.

For a graphics card I use a GTX 1050 TI, the usage I've seen implies its load hasn't changed.

My cpu usage when i am not running anything is unchanged. It only crops up when i start my macros.

Last edited:
Running AMD FX-6100 6-core 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
AMD R9-270 4GB video
Win10-1803 (build 17134.285) fully patched
Paid up Norton Security AV (EQ and MQ excluded) and Windows Defender disabled.
ISBoxer CPU Control (6 EQ Clients sharing 5 cores, 1 core left virgin for Windows use) 44fps foreground, 22fps background
(I know it's abnormal to leave a core unused but my lag became less severe after unbinding Core 0! And the game was unplayable when I tried to dedicate 1 core per client!)

At one point yesterday when starting KA 11.007 I was dropping to 3 fps. After doing a reboot and ending the Windows SuperFetch task everything in-game seemed to return to normal. I use the Task Manager but have not been able to find anything extraordinary except the one time that SuperFetch was hogging the CPU.

A few weeks ago I could use the ISBoxer key repeater to start KissAssist on all 6 clients simultaneously with no problem and no freezing. Lately I have to start each one by itself before moving on to the next one or the game freezes solid for some seconds.

At least one time I was lagging badly and simply camped to desktop all my chars, then stopped all EQ related software, then restarted it all one by one and the lag ceased.

So whatever is happening is not consistent. And I just read this morning that Microsoft is re-releasing the September cumulative security patch for Windows 10 because they forgot something. I'm always suspicious of bad Microshaft code!

Whatever is happening with lag is not memory related because I never exceed about 6GB of memory in-use. It's more like some loop is occasionally entering a race condition.

Edited to add: I shut this machine down every night. And not a sleep or hibernation but a true cold "no power" shutdown. I've been burnt way too many times on those hibernation events. In fact any time I work on a Win10 machine I open a command prompt as admin and type "powercfg -h off" to permanently disable hibernation mode and to delete the leftover hibernat.fil from the root of c:.

Last edited:
A few things that would help us find this issue:

1) If you haven't already, could you please edit your post to include your GPU?
2) Do you have a box that isn't experiencing performance issues? A laptop perhaps?
3) Please let us know if MQ2EQWire works or not. I have a hunch these issues may be related.(you can tell it's working as you'll get a message if it's in background/foreground)
PM me for a copy if you don't have access.

so, what ever I did by restoring my video card Gtx 750 ti back to factory defaults seems to have cleared up my lag temp when using MQ , still don't justify that it didn't lag with it on in isboxer nore without it running. but just a nice notice.

I deleted my eqclient.ini and just adjusted a few settings after it was recreated and my cpu/gpu settings went down dramatically. Thanks nvidor for the suggestion. It is substantially better then before. I'm running 24 toons using 14% cpu usage, and 26% gpu usage. Fuck I need to create more groups.

See later post, the numbers and improvement in this post were too dramatic for a reason.

Last edited:
Np man i been telling people that eqclient.ini is doing some funky shiz and can improve performance sooo much replacing it with older emul version.

I guess I could try deleting the eqclient.ini, but fuck ... ISBoxer makes one for every toon, and with custom settings ... it’s gonna be a bitch to recreate... but whatever. Maybe I’ll try that tomorrow.

P.S., I have a NVIDIA GTX 1080

I fucked up a bit, I when i recreated the eqclient.ini I forgot to turn off their background frame rate limiting function. When I turned it off it did seem to solve my my cpu usage issue but basically no improvement from before the patch, but my gpu usage did drop pretty dramatically from 90-95 to 60-65 so that was a big improvement.

This is what i switched to. This is bottle necked all the way down to box loads of accounts at once without lag. It will remove a lot stuff like char names guild names tar rings particle effects etc is a older client and seems to have me running 70% better. I am sure you can get same results with rof emul eqclient.ini as well but this one is specialized in boxing a lot on one computer.

Attachments

• eqclient.ini
    12.2 KB · Views: 36
91 people have looked at this post and not 1 person is having lag issues running Eq ? since this last patch ? its unbarrable. sadly I hate to say it buy my copy of mmo doesn't do this : ( I really hate that website but its all I can use , I am using vanilla bare boned with 0 plugins loaded and cant use it not any : ( any idea would be helpful

hey @Chanticleer I'm merging this thread with the main lag thread. So far the biggest solution has involved eqclient.ini changes, we're still trying to pinpoint the cause.

If you have any success with these changes, please let us know!

Last edited:
Its something related to the injection , up until the injection is done my mq doesnt lag , when the injection is done it lags like a mfer ive pin pointed it that far. Working on finding whats causing it. But so far close as ive got and from what i see when you have to /loadskin default. It instantly does the injection check for me and causes instant lag i dont think the injection is clearing.

I really am sad to say this but i cant reproduce this with mmo. I stoped there sub and put rg on a paid sub so rather be here since they have nothing to offer. Only reason i use there site is for the customizable mq2melee.

Can you post your eqclient.ini and your macroquest.ini? I'd like to see if I can replicate it

So I don't think its related to anything EQ , I think its whatever does the your integrity has been preserved..... Every time I see that instant lag. I don't know what plugin uses that for me to remove it and see if it clears it up. or how to fix it but ive tested that theory 25 times and 23 / 25 times the lag was almost instant. Your intergrity has been preserved....

@Chanticleer,
In the MacroQuest.ini you sent me, find "HUDMode" and set the value to UnderUI, like this:

HUDMode=UnderUI

Also make sure you have eqbugfix loaded, type /plugin mq2eqbugfix in-game.

Let me know if that helps

Last edited:
HW Vertex shaders should always be ON. This was a feature added back in the day when video cards were pieces of shit, this allowed the CPU to take up some of the load to ease up on the video card. Now that everyone has a "recent gen" video card, the video card can actually process this better than the CPU can, so you must leave it on.

This has a side effect of bottlenecking your RAM too, because anything that goes thru the CPU must also go thru the Ram. So by making sure every single one of your clients has HQ Vertex shaders on, you should see less CPU and Ram consumption overall- usually about 3-5% CPU usage per client you have loaded. You'll probably also want pixel shaders 2.0 on there, because video cards process this better than forcing them into a legacy mode from 15 years ago.

I recently did this as I was pegged out on my ram (16gb running at 90% usage) and after changing this it drpped down to 50-60%, and thats with 14 characters.

If this helps ya, please hit thanks......thanks!

Additionally, video cards suffer when they have to stop what they are doing and divert that data to the CPU. Its like you can eat and drink all you want, but someone else has to breathe for you. That's exceedingly hard to coordinate between bites or drinks.

Discussion - EQ framerate issues since 9/21 patch with MQ2 loaded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back