• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Games - Elite Dangerous (1 Viewer)

dulak

RedCents
784¢
So I just recently started playing this game on Steam and I have to say I'm enjoying it a fair amount. Anyone else play?

Dude, my co-worker places this and he fucking LOVES IT. He talks about being a loner, though, doing exploration/mapping shit.

If you wanna add me in game, my name is Aurokon there. I'm ever so slowly grinding my credits up so that I can get a good freighter. I'm at 2m. I need quite a bit more lol

My co-worker plays a lot.... he said the developer is releasing a fleet carrier for player purchase sometime in the future.... which I guess is going to be bonkers expensive?? lol... sounds like fun.

I'd like to get a decent wing going so we can all bank mad credits. I mostly just do the space trucking thing lol

Well, I think I'm a different breed of human or something. A lot of people that have VR tend to complain about motion sickness and things of that nature, and I'm just like....fine to me. No headaches or motion sickness. So I enjoy lots of movement etc. I do have some balance issues if I'm standing and there's sudden directional movement, but I'm usually sitting anyway so not typically an issue.

I'd play through my PC. Is it only distributed through Steam? That's the only place I found it.

I'd play through my PC. Is it only distributed through Steam? That's the only place I found it.
Frontier has their own direct launcher too.
Re: VR chat, ED in vr is phenomenal. If you're at all on the fence about vr, go for it. This game is one of the best vr experiences available. I bought my rift specifically for elite.

Re: VR chat, ED in vr is phenomenal. If you're at all on the fence about vr, go for it. This game is one of the best vr experiences available. I bought my rift specifically for elite.

Any pros/cons to using the different launch methods? I don't particularly like to use Steam.

Side note, I went to Frontier's website to try to purchase, and they just direct you back to Steam.

Yea. But once you get it via steam, it has a side launcher. Regardless though, it should still be on sale. Like 9 bucks right now. And the horizons expansion is the same price. Horizons let's you dock on planets, let's you explore planets in a rover, even lets you have crew members that will operate a turret for you or drop out of your ship in a fighter to engage hostiles.

Yea. But once you get it via steam, it has a side launcher. Regardless though, it should still be on sale. Like 9 bucks right now. And the horizons expansion is the same price. Horizons let's you dock on planets, let's you explore planets in a rover, even lets you have crew members that will operate a turret for you or drop out of your ship in a fighter to engage hostiles.

Are there different servers, like eq?

Nope. No different servers. But you have the option of playing on the main server with everyone, playing in a private group with just your friends (or anyone else you invite) or playing solo.

Nope. No different servers. But you have the option of playing on the main server with everyone, playing in a private group with just your friends (or anyone else you invite) or playing solo.
You can also swap from one mode to the next freely. Technically the entire game is instanced and players are joined up via peer2peer connections as you fly from one area to another. So there is no "server" in the sense of an MMO.

You can also swap from one mode to the next freely. Technically the entire game is instanced and players are joined up via peer2peer connections as you fly from one area to another. So there is no "server" in the sense of an MMO.
*cough* I usually switch to solo-mode if I end up on a station with just a few landing slots and all occupied. Especially if you have a timed mission, pirates after you, ... it always feels sort of cheating though :-)
(while occupied in multiplayer those slots are usually empty in solo mode)

Oh I was laughing thinking about how there are soo many dead servers in this game was all! I thought you were joking because of that! :)

Nah, lol. I was just curious because my buddy /co-worker plays Elite Dangerous and I wanted to know if I was gonna need ask him where he played.

He ain’t wrong, started playing this week on pc using vive VR....stunning, also got to try out a multi crew experience launching fighters and engaging in pirate dogfights alongside a few pals, bloody brillant

while we are also talking about equipment:
I always thought about getting some kind of joystick / steering wheel / ... for elite.
Anybody got experience with that? Recommendations?

I just use my keyboard and my wired xbox one controller. The controller I use for literally everything except my Frame Shift Drive. I've tried mapping it to the controller it just doesn't work lol

I played the older Elite games (original and Frontier) and I was really tempted by this. It looks fun, but I really want to do more than just shooting and trading so figured if I got X3 (the game) it would let me build up a big space empire/corporation and wage war on other races. But gah it was slow and buggy and pretty boring for me... So maybe I should try Elite Dangerous after all.

If you get the Horizons expansion, you can drive around on planets

I was told by my buddy who plays this that the horizons expansion is all but required. No one doesn't have it, and lots of the quests/tasks you need to do will require it.

Well, when you load the game up with Steam, the Frontier launcher pops up and you have the option to play without Horizons or with it. I've not been using it.

Just went Void Opal mining with a friend in my co-pilot seat. Banked 23 million credits. At the end of the crew session, he only got like 1.3 million. So Idk where the credits came from that paid him, but there isn't an option to split the haul.

When you sell something for a profit, wing members and multi crew get a free bonus based on a percentage of the sale. In order to "split" the total, you would need to jettison cargo and let your friend scoop it up in his own ship. Then he can sell it.

I almost blew us up too. Didn't know that the seismic charges changed from being a delayed explosion to exploding on contact. Was too close to the ice when it exploded. Was in a Keelback thankfully. Took us down to 28% hull.

Games - Elite Dangerous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back