• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Duo Combo suggestions (1 Viewer)

JackDaniels

RedCents
306¢
Hello all, i am attempting another likely casual return. My computer is aging and wont run 6 anymore. I dont really want to invest anything into as other then a couple hrs of EQ and paying bills it doesnt get used.

I am going to start fresh on FV. Main is going to be an SK, i dont want to do Shaman or Bard again. I am thinking a Ranger or Beastlord as ive never used those classes?

Any other suggestions for a 2box w/mercs? Any major pitfalls with one of the above? I have not been in content past House of Thule yet.

Welcome casually back! :)

My fav 2 box set up is my Ranger and Enchanter and then the Ranger runs a healer merc and Chanter runs a tank mer. This has done me well on my characters that are 120. so don't listen to the players who say merc suck! They are very useful if you don't over complicate them. I just let mine do what they want to do and we all get along. No special roles or assist etc.

So maybe go with the chanter for your SK?

FV is great and there are many many helpful players. And a couple great guilds. The number one tip for FV is be prepared to learn Elvish right off the bat cause that is the language spoken and without it you will be severely handicapped.

Learning new languages:

1) You can try to buy 1 point in languages from your trainer but that doesn't always work. Or you have to be level 20 when you ask your trainer. Lots of uncertainty on this one since I see players have difficulty with it frequently on FV.

2) You can make a throwaway alt and make it an elf which will then give you the language on him and he in turn can teach your main the elvish thru group chat spam.

3) Get the one point from another player who is willing to group and spam you for a point or two and then group chat spam your merc for the rest of the level.

4) There is a helpful player or two on FV who will super spam your skill in languages, be on the lookout for them to announce in chat that they are offering it. This will take the longest since there is no specific time or days this is offered and you could wait days or weeks for it to happen

You can only learn or teach in the same zone and in group chat. Tells will not work.

Spam means to basically set up a hot key with a sentences to say in group chat that you can just keep clicking over and over. It will raise your level.

^ once you get to modern SK and BST, both can solo np.. as a due, they are bad ass.
Thanks, thats what i was hopin for. I admit the sk/sham duo always had me safe but i was always lacking dps or felt like it. Maybe i was just no good on making sham inis. Was really hoping that the beast would give me minor sham and more dps and a clr merc could keep me up.

I'd have to echo the enchanter suggestions. My thoughts on a SK 2 box is you either want to out heal your lazy pulls or control them.

The best sk box options imo would be in no particular order: sham, cler, druid, bard, ench, bst... if you go cler or druid make sure you get a clicky haste item.

As Sic linked above, check out framelimiter. If possible I'd highly reccomend a third and do ench/cler with 3 mercs

With an enchanter id get the safety, but wont my dps be abysmal? Im not going to want to charm as i really just like playing my SK and box for support. I thought the heal mercs were ok but the dps merc far under player/box level of dps

With an enchanter id get the safety, but wont my dps be abysmal? Im not going to want to charm as i really just like playing my SK and box for support. I thought the heal mercs were ok but the dps merc far under player/box level of dps
Enchanters are fun, charm and you have your own little gladiator!

The reason i said bst of shaman, is everyone has a sk/shm duo.. since ive came back a few years ago, ive enjoyed playing both classes by hand, bst is just more pop for your buck atm. (shm still strong too).

Enchanters charm? LOL not really, but I seldom use that on my chanter. She has a nice little pet anyway. But I am addicted to her mind candy, haste and she brings the tank merc.

I gave a nice try out to the dps merc and the caster merc and found them both pretty useless. Nothing says you can have the merc tank with your sk. :devil:

Hello all, i am attempting another likely casual return. My computer is aging and wont run 6 anymore. I dont really want to invest anything into as other then a couple hrs of EQ and paying bills it doesnt get used.

I am going to start fresh on FV. Main is going to be an SK, i dont want to do Shaman or Bard again. I am thinking a Ranger or Beastlord as ive never used those classes?

Any other suggestions for a 2box w/mercs? Any major pitfalls with one of the above? I have not been in content past House of Thule yet.
I thought the same thing, and leveled 2 chars and learned about the frame limiter settings and regretted not starting a 6 box from the start. Wasted a ton of and sub time catching up the newly added characters. Start on test server and tinker with the settings and see how many boxes you can run. You'll also be able to work out a group comp and try out Sic's plugins for free.

I thought the same thing, and leveled 2 chars and learned about the frame limiter settings and regretted not starting a 6 box from the start. Wasted a ton of and sub time catching up the newly added characters. Start on test server and tinker with the settings and see how many boxes you can run. You'll also be able to work out a group comp and try out Sic's
If that program works for my system What are the "go to" 6 box group compositions centered around an SK tank?

I have zero idea how the game is at upper levels today

shd -- tanker
clr -- good healing
enc -- top notch cc
bst -- strong dps and pet and utility
rog -- massive dps and some little adps to group
mag -- good dps and utility

''My computer is aging and wont run 6 anymore.'

Well.. a PC does not decompose like a living thing and Everquest has not really gotten any graphical major updates.

Surely only a new SSD or nvme would give your old PC a new life if you using an old HDD.

Well.. a PC does not decompose like a living thing and Everquest has not really gotten any graphical major updates.

Surely only a new SSD or nvme would give your old PC a new life if you using an old HDD.
I have no idea whats going on, ive had 2 desktops and a laptop die in the last 3 years. I picked the current one up as a refurb, its old but i didnt have much $. i put 32 gigs ram and a new ssd in it. Ran great for a few months and now after zoning a few times or into super busy zones it takes ages and when i come thru thr world is legit solid grey for 30secs or so then pops back into normal.

I had the same problem and went from old hdd and 8 gigs of ddr 3 ram to a new Ssd and 16 gigs of ram and can 6 toons easily with faster loading times.

Can prolly run a few more instances if I really wanted to.

I have no idea whats going on, ive had 2 desktops and a laptop die in the last 3 years. I picked the current one up as a refurb, its old but i didnt have much $. i put 32 gigs ram and a new ssd in it. Ran great for a few months and now after zoning a few times or into super busy zones it takes ages and when i come thru thr world is legit solid grey for 30secs or so then pops back into normal.
Do you have logging on? If your log file gets huge it slows things down for older computers. Erase the file every day and see if that helps

If you go to your EverQuest directory in file explorer, do a search for .log. or go to the log directory there. It should show eq's log files. Check their size. I think I've read some folks reporting files GB in size taking up space, causing problems. Just delete. :-)

For an SK 2box with mercs, you can run anything you want, really, but Beastlord will probably be the easiest bet.

BL will cover any necessary slows, the pet can offtank anything you need it to, and the damage is solid. Enchanter will be a better CC, worse everything else version of BL.

Druid isnt a terrible option either, but its really hard to beat Shaman or BL for a second box.

IRL - Duo Combo suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back