• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Druid as main healer (1 Viewer)

nezstor

RedCents
746¢
Hello!
My main group is a melee heavy group with shaman, bard etc.

But I have recently started a caster/pet group containing:
SK, Druid, Enchanter, Mage, Necro and Beastlord.

How will the Druid manage to heal that group at max lvl?
Currently the group is lvl 95 and it feels like the tank is taking more dmg then what the tank did on my other melee group with Shaman healing.
I have a 94 Cleric that I could replace the druid with, but on paper the druid looked good in a caster group with both mana regen on skin buff and lower resist and atk and raise spell dmg with his spells.

I might swap the Beastlord with a Bow Ranger to keep all at range except tank, but thought it would be fun with lots of pets :)

From personal experience your Druid will struggle with the heals, Shaman's can definitely be a main healer (as well as the obvious cleric) but Druid seems to end up lacking sadly (I love my druids be feel they've ended up being a neglected class and abit of a jack of all trades)

Hello!

Currently the group is lvl 95 and it feels like the tank is taking more dmg then what the tank did on my other melee group with Shaman healing.
I have a 94 Cleric that I could replace the druid with, but on paper the druid looked good in a caster group with both mana regen on skin buff and lower resist and atk and raise spell dmg with his spells.

I might swap the Beastlord with a Bow Ranger to keep all at range except tank, but thought it would be fun with lots of pets :)
I benched my druid 100+ and brought in my shaman. The druid has so many interesting utility options and I've always loved playing druid - I used to quad kite on my druid back in Velious! Point being...druids can't consistently manage heals and incoming burst damage. Swapping to shaman alleviated the pressure I was getting on my MT to mitigate damage / stay alive.

I can have my Dru be main healer, but it is only after tank(SK)/dru was max AA @ 110, and then doing ROS and lower stuff. Agree w/ the above thoughts, Dru just has not been given enough attention in the healing department lately to keep up as a main healer.

Note, this was group (TOV Baz) gear @ 110 and older content to either PL toons or farm

Druid can heal and they have fast heal lines, but they’re also balanced for handling DPS and ADPS so they’re the weakest of the three healers when it comes to straight healing.

It REALLY depends on what you want to accomplish. A cleric’s healing is overkill for group content, though, so if all you’re doing is group content I’d go with shaman or druid unless you just really want a cleric.

For an appropriately geared group? Druid can be main heals just fine. That’s not saying you have to be overgeared, that really is “appropriately geared.” That said, you won’t be reaching for what you can do with a druid. Rarely is healing your primary issue in the group game, but when incoming damage is an issue — druid is the weakest.

With the enchanter handling crowd control, you don’t need a whole lot to survive multiple mobs and you’ll not be hitting a ton of splash/group damage so you would be fine.

But my answer is…don’t worry about the wall you might hit until you hit it. Play what you have fun playing.

My 'B' Team is a SK/Druid tank healer combo with Enc/Bst/Wiz/Rng, so 4 of 6 overlap with your group. It does group content, grind stuff perfectly fine. Most of the time, the SK keeps himself alive and the druid only occasionally needs to cast a heal. This is at level 110 with Snowbound gear across the board doing TBL/ROS/EOK content. I don't do missions with them or anything more complex than "stand in this corner and pull respawns to here"

I now run a Sk/Dru/Mag/Mag/Enc/Bst team and the druid has healed on all content in ToL with few problems. The Sk tends to heal himself for 60-70% of the damage he takes so the Druid just covers the gap with Remote, 2H procs, Luna and has Survival / Composite to cover crucial moments. The only time I struggle is if I pull too many and the Enc fails to lock down the adds, under these conditions the Druid will quickly use up his best tools.

The bigger issue with using a Druid is mana regen but running a Bst/Enc/Mag really helps with that especially if your team all have Unified Phoenix Feather + Horn of Unity.

Hello!

I like the idea of a pet group! I may have to try this. The SHM from what I'm hearing is the way to go.

I like the idea of a pet group! I may have to try this. The SHM from what I'm hearing is the way to go.
I have a pet group, and I use the shm instead of druid. It's a good group and I use almost all cwtn plugins except for Necro which I main anyway. Use the Mac pettoys on the mage, pass out weapons and armor, place all pets on taunt, sk basically becomes the safety for any adds not yet mezzed

Druids are back up healers to Paladins then shamans and then clerics.... in the end, Druids are better healers than Bards and Necros.. which is sad in the long run... Hell even mages heal their own pets better than a druid..

Druids are back up healers to Paladins then shamans and then clerics.... in the end, Druids are better healers than Bards and Necros.. which is sad in the long run... Hell even mages heal their own pets better than a druid..
The funny thing, we have a druid in our raid force that is top 5 in DPS and top 3 on heal parse every raid. Don't know how he does it.

It depends on your druid. If you are willing to take the tools they are given and experiment a bit, you may find many things people tell you you can't do or shouldn't be able to do, are totally achievable.

The last time I touched a druid was 2000 so my opinions right now are casual observations. From what I have seen/read, it seems the druid fills a utility role. It can chip in with back-up heals; it can offer some DPS; it can port, etc. I might be wrong - I am still relearning "modern" EQ.

Be well. Happy gaming.

The last time I touched a druid was 2000 so my opinions right now are casual observations. From what I have seen/read, it seems the druid fills a utility role. It can chip in with back-up heals; it can offer some DPS; it can port, etc. I might be wrong - I am still relearning "modern" EQ.

Be well. Happy gaming.
IMO, you're not wrong. Jack of all trades, master of none. I run one in my 6 crew and played one regularly, but would park him if another toon/guildy wanted to join that could do part of what he does.

Lack of spamable fast heals - Cleric and Shaman can load multiple spell level versions of their fast heals, druids can not. Druids fast heals share a timer between expansion spell sets which seems like a code oversight at this point.

Druid handles first part of an encounter fine, then is stuck trying to spam their slow cast heal until fast heal timers come around again.

Clicky weakness - Cleric and Sham get chest clickys that add to emergency spam healing, druids get a boost to max heals but requires you to burn a GCD ahead of time then cast a heal instead of nuke. OK if you manually pre-burn it before a boss, but weaker re-actively.

Question - Druid as main healer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back