• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - DPG Employee Rumors (1 Viewer)

RedCents
4,616¢
Rumors flying around the other forum that Prathun left EQ in the last few days

Also saying
Froo moved to Blizzard around June or so

Is this why GMwoebot answers all the petitions?

Did they leave a sinking ship?

Just that Froo and Narlee are also gone. Apparently none of them have the designated red on their names and are not posting anything. Prathun and Narlee just show up as Augurs now and cannot find Froo at all.

yeah 100% Bliz is killin it, and I fully expect WoWs next xpac to be one of their most enjoyable ones ever - (ime they jump 1 amazing, 1 crap) --- Legion was amazing, BFA was a shit show.

Blizzard is faaar from perfect, but man do they do a ton of shit right

re: eq sinking ship - I expect eq will be around for a long time

I mean look at the Diablo III and the WC III remake...

They are really putting stain on their trophy....

I am not very sure if I will still pay/play Diablo IV when it is out. (probably another 10 years from now tho)

While Activision-Blizzard has its issues -- I think much of that seems to be the usual labor-side challenges of the operation, especially when good labor choices come to blows with keeping the stock price up. That, however, is not unique to any publically traded company.

For a small team losing 4 members in a months time is a problem. Add to that it is people that have being there for ages.

/doom and gloom

It's going to be hard for DPG to retain folks in perpetuity like that. There's a very minimal set of different jobs you're going to get to do there and I know a lot of folks, eventually, just get sick and tired of doing the same old thing and need a shift. As DPG has a limited set of internal roles (and limited opportunities for promotion) they're just going to lose folks.

I'm kinda behind Redbot, would be nice for a larger organization w/ ample cashflow to pick EQ up as a 'labor of love' project. They can still squeeze money out of it but arguably offer a larger organization that provides folks opportunities. Plus, I think it should be mandatory for programmers to eventually work on a legacy code project for a bit. It'll, hopefully, help them develop a bit more code empathy.

Plus, I think it should be mandatory for programmers to eventually work on a legacy code project for a bit. It'll, hopefully, help them develop a bit more code empathy.
Or this will backfire -- you'll lose talent because you rely far too much on legacy code. There are plenty of startups out there that need programmers to design good systems from the ground up (and pay competitive rates to boot; DPG can't afford to pay good rates).

Or this will backfire -- you'll lose talent because you rely far too much on legacy code. There are plenty of startups out there that need programmers to design good systems from the ground up (and pay competitive rates to boot; DPG can't afford to pay good rates).

My legacy code premise is assuming the prior statement is true of DPG being absorbed in a sufficiently large organization with other opportunities. Not stuck at DPG. Your statement I think back's up my original premise about lack of differing opportunities creating an environment where folks want to leave for something different.

But at any sufficiently large organization such as what I'm familiar with (Fortune 50s or hundreds of thousands of employees -- but I assume any org the size of Activision is sufficiently large, just not a vertical I'm as farmiliar with), it's a reasonably good idea to have folks rotate into legacy code positions for a time.

Last edited:
Finally at least some word:

dreamweaver Community Manager

all-access.png

Febb said:

“Looks like Absor left as well.”

Absor has not left, he is still around, ready...waiting.

Until I see Prathun’s LinkedIn change, I will consider it possible he is secretly on EQ3/D :-D
I'm not sure which is worse, losing the talent and institutional knowledge to a competing organization or finding out DPG is throwing more money down the drain to make EQNever.

News - DPG Employee Rumors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back