• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Does anyone recommend EQ to new or younger players? (1 Viewer)

If i hadn't of played this game 100 years ago, then i wouldn't be playing it today - for the exact reason i don't play Runescape --- i never played that, so absolutely zero change i'm going to play it today.

this fully. its just a habit to play here really.

If I talk to other humans at all, I probably would. But I'm not a "people" person. The people I do associate myself with already playing EQ. So while I could recommend it to them, I think it would be a moot point.
lol agree here. i acquired eq from an ex many many years ago who played from beta, he's now quit (long time ago but hed been banned for years between to oso he lost the itch) i think i mightve recommended it to a few people who at work i somehow ended up discussing gaming with...but, even that wouldve been a decade ago. the people i live with i pushed to all play when i made an emu server just for us(we were ALL desperate because yo ucant game on satellite lol, eq was the only option for anything mmo-like) and as i said, 2 still play, but if i tried to push it on the 2 guys that are actual gamers..one fulltime and one sporadic, i would have to do a lot of consultation and tech support...AND id haveto finish building hubby's pc LOL(i really really really need to go up to the attic and finish that thing, its only been sitting there 95% done since november) and those are the only people outside of eq/mq that i associate with lol

course, atm, i keep recommending eq to myself and i keep saying maybe later lol. too many other distractions like sorting and testing every single )20+) loose harddrive i have, refurbing half a dozen machines, hooking up half a dozen more mini-PCs, and building and playing with 3 diff raspberry pis- not to mention fuckign around with their os's. right now i'm messing with RISC OS, which my god it is tiny and would make a wonderful word processor on a zero, IF i can figure it out. it's the opposite of linux in some ways, which ive been messing with for the last week or 2, and in other ways its like OLD linux. generic linux os's: keyboard=musthave, mouse=optional (for setup etc) RISCOS: keyboard is worthless til theres an input box somewhere, theres no tab tab tab enter or arrowing around, you MUST use a mouse, and many menus arent available without the MIDDLE mouse button(why not the right buttons?, or a menu?) but it runs so tiny and clean i could probably put it on my old cheap "smarttv stick" (make your tv smart , and it cost 15bucks 5 years ago lol...specs and research say it would work, but only risc or embedded. the thing has specs in the kb not mb or gb lol.

oh and i recommend myself ot play eq but then i look at my traders, say oh theyre not selling shit...and instead of restocking or something, i go backto piling my desk up with stuff. i have 3 monitor mounts to install (and i cant get to where they need isntalled at right nowlol) 3 new keyboards and such coming in the mail, a new disccloner that i ordered because i urgently wanted an offline cloner on tuesday and now its not so urgent lol. My eq buddy has been offand on himself. i think these days recommending eq to oneself, successfully, has to be a battle won before we think about others lol. us old people have other things to do i guess

Most kids now are into MOBA's EQ is just too slow-paced to grab their attention, The user interface is a hodgepodge conglomerate nightmare in need of a major overhaul that will never come and I think that's what makes it so difficult for new players, The user interface is key to grabbing and pulling players into the game. The combat is just too slow and takes too long to kill something for the younger kids to be engaged it bores them. I know it's not such a big thing now but the downtime in between fights while you recovered mana and stuff would bore kids too. I actually enjoyed this part because it's where you would build social bonds and make friends and more often than not was how you got invited into a guild.

I just think the interface is too clunky combat is too slow and not engaging enough and the questing is really difficult to understand what you need to do. There is, not any arrows on the map to tell you where to go or indicators over NPC's heads, and honestly, I like it that way cause it forces you to research and explore but kids don't want that they want to know who to go to what to kill instantly and think the game should easily spell it out for you.

Kids just aren't into MMOs at all anymore.

1. Not quite a necro-post, but dangerously close.

2. Unless one of us is 20 years old or younger, we probably can't authoritatively speak to what younger people think or enjoy, even if we have kids. Kids are weird, and are often into weird shit. EQ might be right up their alley, or it might not be, but that's okay.

3. As far as using the game as an aid for older people, I think that's mostly been a convenient, yet disingenuous half-truth advocates of MQ/MQ2 have thrown out there to justify it's use. I would bet 10 of Sic's paychecks that the number of MQ/MQ2 users who truly have some kind of disability or physical limitation or geriatric tendencies and who use MQ/MQ2 to help offset those challenges is the VAST minority of users. Let's keep it real and just admit that most of us use MQ/MQ2 to automate the hell out of six, 12, 18, 54+ toons because we're somehow still obsessed with a 22 year old game and playing it the traditional way blows.

Brb, going to Vegas to bet 10 of Sum1's paychecks on a roulette wheel.

Good luck!! Don’t forget … on roulette you start low, then double your bet every time you lose until you win and then you drop back down! Guaranteed winner winner chicken dinner!

For me, EQ has the same nostalgia as Star Wars has to the ones growing up in the late 70ies/80es. When you close your eyes and immagine a TIE fighter, perhaps your mind plays the sound of a TIE fighter flying from the right to the left of the room. I can also close my eyes and hear a Sand Giant running up the beach on a rampage in SRO.

I find it easier to winback old timers than to recruit newer players.

I played on Rizlona at launch for a bit. Don't need to imagine it from way back when. Sand Giant's are still alive and kicking and melting people on TLP's at launch.

I'm closing in on beeing 40 years soon... And i've recommended EQ to a friend of mine beeing a year older than me, hes an old Wow player and have dabbled in most mmo's since then. He tried it for a few days at most. And told me that the grafics was shit and the game felt clunky. I had not given him any pointers or help in any way. Because he had picked it up without my knowledge just from hearing me speak of the game.

I also told a friend of mine that i played with back in the day to pick it back up... But he feels the game is sooo far ahead of him on retail(current expansions) and he does not want to play on a TLP because of the recycle that DPG is doing, the constant cannabalization of the Live servers and TLP servers when they constantly put up new servers.

So yeah... I've kinda given up on recommending EQ to people.

No one gets to do 100 percent of their plans in life. Life is what happens after you make plans.

Just wanted to share this again because I put this Quote as the Quote of that day at work!

Anyways, for me i recommend EQ for everyone i meet. I tell anyone that wants to try it to start on my server and solo till level 30 and use EQResource/Allah for information. Read, read, read. Understand the lore and what you are doing in the EQ world. I also tell these same people that you can play on and off year after year, and EQ will still be there and pick up where you left off. The game is about exploring a new world and hell, there is a lot of crap to explore in EQ. Once you read and have good background information before you get to the current expansion then i can help get you caught up.

If the people aren't willing to at least read the information that is out there and instead just try to jump in, its too much. The establishment of the tutorial system helped with the UI pitfalls but can only help so much. Being new to EQ is a time investment and if people don't want to invest an hour or 2 in reading to understand something then there is no hope.

Just my 2 cents /cheers

I recommended two persons to play this with me when I returned to the game earlier this year. Neither has continued.

I am still out of my depth currently playing this with a "solid" knowledge of expansions up to Planes of Power which is when I originally left. I don't really go to newer expansion zones unless they are EoK onwards as I just do not understand them. I don't understand the "progression" or "mercenary" items and thus far have ignored even undertaking these.

To imagine being a new person joining the game and having to build up over 21 years of knowledge in frankly "dead" zones where there is no group reward like there used to be or any regular communication with "friends" you make around your level and who you hunt with regularly, I frankly cannot see the point in playing the game.

Servers, like FV where the economy is broken sees defiant armor (I understand brought in to help the newer players) selling for 30,000 an item. Unbelievable for a new player to get kitted out. You can do armor quests in CR as example but it is as useful as the kunark armor would be nowadays.

Yes this drops from mobs, however I found (when not pling toons up) that I would often make level 70 and still not have every slot filled with defiant armor, let alone other pieces. Ultimatley I feel you need to be level 85 at a minimum in this game with full armor (heroic character is the best option) and even then, gaining a group even getting a response from someone who could group with you is difficult and unrewarding. I was on the verge of quitting before I found out about this software - even still this does not satisfy a real life player joining you and I will always drop my characters for anyone lfg.

Dang - just noticed lost my level 2 lol.

They need to come out with an all new expansion like they did with TSS, where a new player can start in the new expansion and level all the way up to max level in same expansion. Think that would really be the only way to get actual new players in to play the game, cause noone wants to start and go back to old dead zones when they are just starting off.

No.
Everquest has kept the same business model for the last 13 years which is content for the loyal user base.
While they have improved playability with some UI upgrades the game has not changed in forever. It's the same grind year after year expansion after expansion.
It's now to the point they are just recycling zones and old content with a new twist.
EQ has nothing to offer a modern Gamer compared to all of the other games now available.

New World from renowned MMO producer, Amazon Game Systems, is a better MMO than Everquest at this point. Even with all of it's hilarious broken mechanics and bugs. The only reason I still play Everquest is to raid because that still scratches an itch that I can't get elsewhere. But as Maskoi points out, the group game is dead ass boring.

Everquest can be very fun for new players

IF

You have real life friends helping you along with the learning curves. Plus , when was Everquest at its greatest ?

When people grouped and conversed with each other , NO Mercs , No botting .

That is why they keep making these True box servers and start all over

Most kids now are into MOBA's EQ is just too slow-paced to grab their attention, The user interface is a hodgepodge conglomerate nightmare in need of a major overhaul that will never come and I think that's what makes it so difficult for new players, The user interface is key to grabbing and pulling players into the game. The combat is just too slow and takes too long to kill something for the younger kids to be engaged it bores them. I know it's not such a big thing now but the downtime in between fights while you recovered mana and stuff would bore kids too. I actually enjoyed this part because it's where you would build social bonds and make friends and more often than not was how you got invited into a guild.

I just think the interface is too clunky combat is too slow and not engaging enough and the questing is really difficult to understand what you need to do. There is, not any arrows on the map to tell you where to go or indicators over NPC's heads, and honestly, I like it that way cause it forces you to research and explore but kids don't want that they want to know who to go to what to kill instantly and think the game should easily spell it out for you.

Kids just aren't into MMOs at all anymore.
You are right. My family and I are having this debate again, spurred on by the release of the new expansion. It was divided in my home but I am using your vote, third party and independent to hands down win the debate 😉
I also HATE marks over NPC's heads. For some reason I prefer hailing everyone in town.

New World from renowned MMO producer, Amazon Game Systems, is a better MMO than Everquest at this point. Even with all of it's hilarious broken mechanics and bugs. The only reason I still play Everquest is to raid because that still scratches an itch that I can't get elsewhere. But as Maskoi points out, the group game is dead ass boring.
I just looked New World up, it sure as heck looks impressive. Thanks for the heads up.

IRL - Does anyone recommend EQ to new or younger players?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back