• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Deciding 6th box (1 Viewer)

vihistner

RedCents
14¢
I currently have a five box of sk/brd/shm/rng/ber and have been debating on what to add for the last spot. I was thinking about adding a pet class such as a beast, necro, or mage for the possibility of their pets acting as a backup tank for emergencies in case something happens to the sk. But then again having a druid for ports, evac, and backup heals/dps would be nice. I can't decide and was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were. Not locked in to any of these classes so am open to any ideas and suggestions.

Initially I was thinking the exact same thing. My only concern was that the bst/shm would overlap. Does a beastlord have any unique abilities to boost adps that a shaman doesn't?

BST - They get dicho buff that reduces weapon delay (haste v4.) It's like bards QuickTime but 24 seconds with 1 min cool down.

BST are also best group endurance regeneration with bard. Buff over lap with sham is an issue. BST can also be a backup healer role too. BST pet, even in DPS mode, still a good backup tank.

Druids as nuker is fun, however they buff caster groups best with nuke aura, mana regen, wolf form crit bonus and fire/cold nuke debuff/boosts.

Evac - I don't use it like I used to. Campfire replaced the need. However it is nice when the succor point jumps you some plce useful.

Mage pet is a great backup tank. I run mine with taunt on even with an SK or War on group.

Last edited:
With a well-geared SK, I think you'll find that whatever rolls your SK will also plow through a pet. I wouldn't go Necro. Love the class, but they are underwhelming in the group game these days. Dots are just too slow when mobs are dying in 15 seconds.

Still, a mage offers you some nice utility in terms of COTH and provide very solid, Wizard competitive DPS. Frankly, a second Zerker might give you the most bang for the buck in terms of extra DPS beyond what a beast would add in ADPS to the current zerker.

I'd ask do you need more healing (if so, go druid). And two, how often would you pull the trigger in time on evacing? If it's rarely, the time saved might not be worth it. Just have a campfire laid down and rez and click back. I always wait too long, thinking I can pull it off.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Have narrowed it down to mage or bst, leaning toward bst for the adps benefits with group. Have never played one but how is their dps currently with the latest expansion? I agree about evac, in that I probably wouldn't pull the trigger fast enough or at all at times.

If you are 110, and playing in or going to play in the new expansion, I would add a mage with an earth pet. If you are going to do progression with that group and the way the new expansion is tuned...might want to seriously start thinking about who's going bye bye and growing a cleric>>>>>>>

If you are 110, and playing in or going to play in the new expansion, I would add a mage with an earth pet. If you are going to do progression with that group and the way the new expansion is tuned...might want to seriously start thinking about who's going bye bye and growing a cleric>>>>>>>

The group is 110 but I haven't tried the new expansion yet. I have read that the new TBL mobs hit really hard. Would you say that a cleric is almost required currently?

Just goofing around in the initial zones doing tasks, we were fine with healer mercs and a monk tank. You'll likely need a cleric or maybe a druid plus shaman for progression. I'll let others speak with more authority as I haven't got deep into the expansion yet.

Question - Deciding 6th box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back