• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Toast - Culture Shock (1 Viewer)

nyghteyes

What is a macro??
RedCents
1,437¢
After 9 years of EQ and 6 years of my Wife she finally decides that she is gonna play an MMO with me......I'll be damned if she didnt pick WoW.

I'm looking for suggestions on Class choices, keep in mind in suggestions for her the extent of her game play is Mario Cart/Donkey Kong/Mah jong.....The fewer times I get out of my chair per hour the better heh.

I have heard of some add-ons that make questing ect easier if anyone has decent links also is a plus.

AND Maybe an admin can bump my script over too WoW for the time being would be cool too please. Thanks :)

well what class do you play and pick one that could compliment you lots

For example, you play a rogue? She should go a healer? Your a healer let her go a tank so that finding groups together wont be hard etc

Questhelper (Search google) is imo the best quest add on there is

WoW is not a hard game to play, and recently my cousins started to get his girlfriend to play with him

Unfortunately, i am unable to get my gf to play but she's more interested in fixing her hair and typical womany things!

Doesn't really matter too me what class I play. Just happy she picked a game hehe. I just dont want her to get discouraged by difficulty (Is why I pushed away from vanguard, she looked at it and said oooo the pretty trees.....)

So are any classes "Less user intensive" ?

Druids are easy to play (not meant as a easy class) but a class that can fight at the lowlevels without to much down time.

Paladins are also rather fun

The thing about WoW is that all classes are easy to play, but they are allmost all hard to play well =)

- decker

Not all hard to play well

Im easily one of, if not the best resto druid in the game and i'd hardly say i have a tough time :P

Roll hots + Wild growth and ocasional swiftmend etc when required although with that i do blame the easiness of raid content. Im sure it'll change for Ulduar (testing tonight!) but i sure hope i have something more to do! TBC was harder for a resto druid but they made it so simple

hunters are a good solo class, as are mage and warlock

I would say have her pick a class that sounds like something that is going to interest her. Druid does sound like a good choice, but they also have the worst starting areas IMO. Maybe have her take a look at Dranae or BE, depending on if you're playing Horde or Alliance, then pick a class from there.

As far as Addons go, it depends on class, but I personally like QuestHelper and Atlas/Atlas Loot, as well as Cartographer. Then for my Mage, I use Cryolisis3, and for my Priest I use HealBot. After you and her start getting to know the game well, then start researching Macros for your class that make things easier. And I'm talking Legit macros, nothing like MQ. =p

www.curse.com is a good place to get all of your addons, as they have a Downloader/Auto-Updater you can use.

Same with Carbonite. QH has been buggy and was prone to crashing WOW from time to time. I quit on QH when it kept crashing on timed quests. Right now I hear players who logged out in Dalaran often can't log back in at all unless they disabled QH first. TOo much hassle IMO.

Carbonite (lite version available for free) has decent quest tracking, shows on map the general area or specific spot for quests to do, shows ? marks for completed quest so no need to look for elusive npc. Lastly the quest list sorts by distance so you can do a batch in order of nearest to farthest, no need to run back and forth.

Thanks folks, I appreciate all the input.

Just upped her too a 19" LCD. Soon as thats in she'll be ready too play. I dont blame her not wanting too play on a 15" LCD. Previously thats all she needed to do word ect.

Her first WoW toon really shouldn't be a healer right off the bat, you want her to have some fun right? XD

Rogue is really fun, it's easy to go afk while stealthed to read up on quests, get a drink, etc.

Ret pallies are fun right now, also hunters are pretty easy to level and to afk.

I found warlock to be a blast in classic, not sure that it's a great choice now though. It is nice because they don't get asked to do a ton of stuff, and standing at range while learning encounters minimizes dying... but melee or even a tank class if she turns out to be good at wow, it's so much easier to learn and actually keep track of fights when you have a role in them, hah.

I dunno, you guys should pick something fun and go from there.

Just wondering , is your partner going to be influenced by how her toon looks i.e. does she want to look like a human or tauren etc . Only asking because some people are (I don't know , you might be too), and if she is then it will make a difference to your class combo possibilities (assuming you want to start in the same zone as each other)
I know you could travel to her zone( or she to yours) but that's not an ideal first couple of hours play for either of you .
Whereas if she/you really want to be for eg. an orc/troll or nightelf , it will limit/make your choices easier .

p.s.
I wouldn't use any addons til at least lvl 20 , enjoy the actual game for what it is . Before you join the race .
p.p.s.
Don't think that trying a class until lvl 10 (like lots of guides suggest) will give you any idea about a class , the change in play from 10+ is immense .

Last edited:
I think that quest help mods (CarboniteQuest!) don't detract from the game...they help streamline your experience! Naturally they make it "easier" but really what are you eliminating? The crappy pseudo-puzzle of figuring out where to go from the quest text...who misses that? I would be a big fan of it if Blizzard's quest text wasn't frequently ambiguous or downright incorrect. This ain't Myst! ;)

Alright, heres my 2 gold... Go rogues. Subtlety. The reason i say this, is it is the most versatile, and i must say FUN class out there. I say this for everquest, i say this for WoW. I have been playing EQ since 98, and i played WoW over the last couple years.

Rogues:

Burst damage, high DPS. plus guaranteed DPS with Bleed DoTs.

as a rogue, you can solo through the whole game. You can sneak with some skill on your part, through any instance you want, so long as you know what you are doing in regards to aggro range and visibility.

Imagine, say, you are level 49, and want that REALLY bomb dagger of eternal darkness from the fat four armed 2000lb princess from mauradon, well, sneak your butt through, and have your high level friend slaughter the boss, and BOOM you got yourself that dagger.

Say you just want to go scouting, well, go for it.

IF YOU LIKE 1 HITTING CLOTHIES!!!

Go sub, regardless of anything, there are some skills no rogue should be without...

Increased stealth speed,
decreased stealth timer,
increased attack bonuses of any sort,
LOTS OF AGILITY AND STAMINA
high top end damage on main hand,

As far as i am concerned, if you both go horde, blood elf, she will be happy as hell because she looks pretty, and her voice thingies like /silly and /flirt, will make any woman giggle. You will look like a homo... and i quote the male blood elf, "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?" but she will also laugh prolly... but anyhow, that racial ability gives you like 40 energy and silences nearby opponents... its EVIL for BGs.

I play an undead rogue, and i love it, just for RP sake. /flirt "Smell my breath <pheeoooeeeeewwww> Is it... BAD enough for you???"

The way to play a rogue is simple. sneak around, pick what you want, wait for your opportunity, and then spam your sinister strike hotkey like crazy and follow it up with an eviscerate. at LEVEL 1, you can 3 hit anything you come across in your questing. TIP: go into your options tab, and make sure to have instant quest text on. Also, hell with what anyone says, Addons make the game. a few that are great, are Questhelper, atlas, cartographer, titanpanel, auctioneer, and a DEFINITE to onebag. go to www.curse.com for addons and stuff. they also have some pretty functional UI mods in there as well.

But another cute class she might like that is easy to play is hunter. well, all the classes in wow are easy to play... thats why its so popular... but with the hunter, you guys can go to places like, http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/ and look for pretty pets to go hunt down and capture. umm... i am pretty much an encyclopedia on whatever game i am playing... i am also a cave hermit for the most part... so like, any questions, hit me up in a message. i got a decade+ of useless game knowledge.

Anyhow, back to everquest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say have her pick a class that sounds like something that is going to interest her. Druid does sound like a good choice, but they also have the worst starting areas IMO. Maybe have her take a look at Dranae or BE, depending on if you're playing Horde or Alliance, then pick a class from there.

As far as Addons go, it depends on class, but I personally like QuestHelper and Atlas/Atlas Loot, as well as Cartographer. Then for my Mage, I use Cryolisis3, and for my Priest I use HealBot. After you and her start getting to know the game well, then start researching Macros for your class that make things easier. And I'm talking Legit macros, nothing like MQ. =p

www.curse.com is a good place to get all of your addons, as they have a Downloader/Auto-Updater you can use.

Didn't read this part, JMO is 100% correct on the macro part. Unfortunately, i dont think a tutorial exists for the macro syntax. It's kinda simplistic, and VERY limited, but here is a sample of some hotkeys i had when i was playing WoW.

Macros in WoW:

First, to let you know a little bit about the functions i will be describing, i am designing a little KEY here for you.

any time you see a * then look at the key. there is no use for a * any where in the macros, so dont ever put a * in your macros unless you just want to be silly and have a non working macro kk?

alright.

<Shift+Click> = just hold the shift key while left clicking the item or skill of your choice.
--- What this does, is inserts the name, of item or skill, onto your chatbar. In the case of a macro, onto your macro line.

#show = in order to design a custom macro, your macro hotkey name and picture are set to blank and red question mark. Using this command on the first line of your macro, including <shift+click> you can completely customize the look and feel of your macros.

/cast = skills or spells. /cast is your friend.

/equip = to change out your mainhand weapon into whatever you <shift+click>

Now, We deal with usage and Syntax.

#show <Shift+Click> (weapon of your choice goes here)
/equip <shift+click> (Same weapon)
/cast <Shift+Click> (skill name goes here>

for a rogue, with a rusty dagger, it would LOOK like this, if i was using my ambush macro.

#show Rusty Dagger
/equip Rusty Dagger
/cast Ambush

---

This is will equip the dagger and attempt to ambush. problem is, there is no, /pause command like we have in EQ. So, usually i get a message saying, you must equip a dagger to mainhand before using this skill, and then i hit it again, and it ambushes NP. but doesnt break stealth when you switch, so its great. the OTHER one i use is just to switch back to my high damage sword for hemo burst damage...

#show Merciless Gladiator's Slicer
/equip Merciless Gladiator's Slicer
/cast Hemorrhage

I am sure you can use any text command you wish, like

/stand
/target <charname>
/cast <heal>
/sit
/kneel
/silly
/laugh
/lol
/rofl
umm... you get the point.

Basically, <Shift+Click> is like, copy paste item name. but you CAN just type the item name exactly as it appears on the item, but shift clicking is so much more simple and problem free. so <Shift+Click> yourself up up and away yo!!!

WHAT UP MACROS!!!

The above poster is right, sub rogues are so much fun, I have a rogue stuck at 50 (she's gonna be my lockbox bitch for the Insane feat, haha) and leveled her as sub... SO MUCH FUN! Lots of tricks, etc, easier to get away/avoid dying. She could try mining/engineering and have a lot of fun with it also, the gnomish gadgets are killer and it's just a fun profession in general.

Had to buy burning crusade last night in hopes she sticks with the game because, yeah , she wanted to be a blood elf. We will both rogue it up for now and at 55 if need be I will switch to a DK if we are having troubles taking down the bigger nasties.

Alot of helpful information here, thanks everyone for helping us getting started. I look forward to any other info posted to get us through the newb days.

Maybe some quests around that are amusing and not in the general run through in leveling? I have notice there is no lack of quests in this game.

Oooh , just had a horrible thought .
You are using refer a friend aren't you? , please say you are .
And rogue/rogue will be good for questing but you'll find it harder to instance together , much later in the game though so not big issue . One of you will have probably changed class by then anyway .
Cheers .

RAF only works on new account... and it sounds like you are using 2 existing accounts so RAF may not work. :/

Yeah it only works on new accounts, but let me reiterate: it is so awesome that it's totally worth going out and getting a new account. haha

RAF only works on new account... and it sounds like you are using 2 existing accounts so RAF may not work. :/
Yeh only on new account , my point being that it is a new account . But if you're new to the game and don't know about raf it's easy to miss .

Toast - Culture Shock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back