• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Connecting your computer to a tv (1 Viewer)

Grim_Keeper

RedCents
Anyone know how to connect your computer to your tv, to use your tv as a monitor? Or a site that clearly explains how to?
It would be much more fun doing things like playing WSG on a 22 inch tv with big speakers, rather than a 15 inch computer monitor with a headset :p

Last edited:
Well, it's fairly simple. You need a video card that allows you to do so. My video card has a HD plug in, so all you need to do is plug that hd plug into a tv that has hd, lucky for me i have both. Or you go with even a bigger screen and go full out iwth a projecter. You can project it on your ceiling and play the game lying down on your bed lol :p

You can project it on your ceiling and play the game lying down on your bed lol
Omg......................................................................
How much would a good projector run for?

Hahahahahaha this sounds awesome. Wish i had a TV on my room LOL! I almost wanna give a redcent for this xD

lol. yea, i got a projector for business meetings and stuff. so when i get bored, i like to project my laptop and other things on my big plain walls 20 feet away.

everything is much much bigger :D

You can project it on your ceiling and play the game lying down on your bed lol

Ok now that is just genius!!! I have to lay with my little girl till she goes to sleep and taht takes like 45 mins!!!! Think how much more gold I could make in 45 mins each night.!!!!! Enjoy your redcent

some company.. has "DIY projector plans" for much cheaper. you basically get a high performance bulb, a 7" lcd screen, power transformer, mirror and a long or short-throw lense and viola!

but yeah, i have a Philips 27" HDTV with VGA in. so i play wow on the tv that way.
or ill use s video out from my videocard. there are a lot of ways to do it.

i had a school projector and an lcd panel(nView black and white 320x480) and it played 8-bit nintendo really well, i spent hours playing black and white tetris on an 80" screen in a 10'x10' room. rofl.

if you run cosmos, you can up the chat-text size so you can actually read it on your television.

DiMe said:
You can project it on your ceiling and play the game lying down on your bed lol :p

Love the idea...I'll start saving up some extra funds...Have a Red Cent for sheer brilliance:)

ShutdownZo6 said:
some company.. has "DIY projector plans" for much cheaper. you basically get a high performance bulb, a 7" lcd screen, power transformer, mirror and a long or short-throw lense and viola!.

be careful...some of those DIY kits cost a lot and most are just a flat lense like the back of RV's have that your sposed to put in a box

Grim_Keeper said:
Anyone know how to connect your computer to your tv, to use your tv as a monitor? Or a site that clearly explains how to?
It would be much more fun doing things like playing WSG on a 22 inch tv with big speakers, rather than a 15 inch computer monitor with a headset :p

Most old school vid cards have composite video cord outputs. Lots of newer ones have hdmi outputs.

Either way you go, unless you have a screen with a high resolution, you most likely won't end up playing on it for very long. Big screens with low resolutions make text and precise details hard to see.

....pssst....he posted that in october of last year. I'm betting by now he either A) figure it out or B) gave up.

...I'm just sayin'... :)

My gear:

School AV cart, 50 foot powerstrip included.
24" 16:9 Samsung LCD HDTV (the HDTV's now most have SVGA/DVI inputs)
A D620 Dual Core Laptop, with DVI output.

It's my portable system, wherever I go in my house, I can wheel it along with me. The powerstrip is 50feet long, so if i'm raiding and need a bio break.... Well you get the picture, the AV stand was the greatest investment ever, playing on a big monitor for a year now, I cannot even look at WoW on a small screen any more.

*** WARNING: Salemans inc ***

Ok using the finest tec thats out here today... Connect your PC or mac WIRELESS to a TV this is using the new and inproved N tec for wlan. using HDMI to upscale your picture you will get by far the best way to connect a PC to to a normal TV, this without losing any preformens in your game xp. Apple TV is the best, the only way to do that...

More info found here:
http://www.apple.com/appletv/

This is out in both US and EU (Not in shops in EU atm, but should be starting next week)

When i am really lazy i take my wireless mouse/keyboard .. flop in the couch and plays wow on my 42 inch HDTV plasma... dvi to hdmi

in 1920*1080.. :)

and with the right tweaking there aint no problem with reading chat either..

recommend to backup wtf folder and make a custom 1 for ur tv settings..
makes life easier

but since i got my new dell 24 inch 16-10 screen i dont do it so much :D

still planning to wire my 32 inch lcd in bedroom to have third option :p

Yes i admit it... i am a tech addict.....

decker said:
1920*1080I i take it =)

1920*1080P FTW

hmm cant friggin remember right now.. aint at home :P

plasma is a LG 42pc1RR with a built in harddrive for timeshift .. know i run it in 1920*1080 30 Hz

lapidusva25 said:
what's the point of converting dvi to hdmi, does your tv not have dvi input?

well ...DVI is hdmi without sound...

so cable is HDMI in one end and DVI in other end and then a seperate soudcable..

and no plasma has hdmi svga and scart plugine no dvi..

cause DVI is the old HDMI type plug only used in pc's now

Connecting your computer to a tv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back