• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Computer Build (1 Viewer)

eqranger24

RedCents
91¢
Just wondering everyone's thoughts on boxing with new cpus. I have an older i5 4690k but I am considering updating my computer for more than just eq but was wondering if anyone runs any of the new amd chips. I used amd years ago with the athlon "2001" and when I moved over to intel the difference outweighed the pricing. Amd seems to have stepped up the game and I was considering trying both amd cpu and video card ago. Anyone have good experience with boxing 6 toons on newer AMD cpus?

The amd ryzen 5 3600k is looking every strong even on single thread performance so would like some advice if anyone of you can share.

I purchased a new computer 2-3 years ago with the best nVidia GPU you could get and a one-down from top of the line CPU with about 30gigs of RAM and I've never maxed out the system with EQ. I've had 18 logged in and doing shit BEFORE mq2eqwire was released. I could probably get more in now.

I say all that because if you're looking to only box 6, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Six toons is EASY these days.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on boxing with new cpus. I have an older i5 4690k but I am considering updating my computer for more than just eq but was wondering if anyone runs any of the new amd chips. I used amd years ago with the athlon "2001" and when I moved over to intel the difference outweighed the pricing. Amd seems to have stepped up the game and I was considering trying both amd cpu and video card ago. Anyone have good experience with boxing 6 toons on newer AMD cpus?

The amd ryzen 5 3600k is looking every strong even on single thread performance so would like some advice if anyone of you can share.

Not AMD but I just upgraded my PC to a 9900k plus 32Gb of ram. I regularly have my 6-box plus a couple of other accounts running in isboxer. Coupled with EQMule's incredible MQ2eqwire well, it barely registers on the CPU. EQ can run on a tablet, any decent spec new CPU will be fine. Seriously though, if you're not aware of it, MQ2eqwire is amazing. Well worth the 10 bucks.

https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mq2eqwire.295/

I recently added a new comp to my collection. https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-001E-233M8?Item=9SIAG9691V7353 to be specific. I am able to load in 8 toons with this machine and the bottleneck I run into is system memory more than the cpu. Any of the new AMD procs will have zero issue with boxing a single group.

I know you were asking about AMD specifically, and the comp I was referring to above is an Intel. I run a AMD FX 8300 in my main computer, which is a few gen old at this point but even so I have no problems running loads of characters on it when needed. I usually have a browser open with ZAM, EQResource, Redguides, some music streaming and anywhere from 12-30 characters and I never cap my processor now that I have MQ2EQWire. Although I used to when I would load 30 without MQ2EQWire.

I am using AMD Raven Bridge Ryzen 5 2400G with 16Gb RAM and an old GPU. I can run 12 toons reasonably easily (loading them takes a while, even with a good SSD). RAM is the biggest issue for me.

One thing that is weird is that Win10 will allocate a big chunk of RAM to each instance, then dials it back down. So it will be 1.2Gb at first, then go down to 2-300MB per instance. Kinda weird. It seems to be zoning that will free up the RAM quickly, but it goes down eventually on it's own accord. So pretty sure that's why loading up 2 teams takes a while (RAM) - as a result I load one team, then load up the other. I don't use ISBoxer or anything either (although I want to give it a try).

KA's pulling routine, however, seems to churn my CPU if the max radius is too high. Not sure why, other than maybe MQ2Nav.

Oh, and I don't use EQ2Wire - just mq2fps and mq2viewport. I also will browse the interwebs and also Discord and so on.

I rebuilt mine a couple years ago. Went from AMD to an Intel 7700k, 16 GB of RAM, and a GTX1070. I've run up to 8 accounts with ISBoxer with no issues whatsoever. Could probably run a couple more on top of that without issues if I needed to.

All things considered...EQ (due to its age and legacy compatibility) is fairly efficient. I can run 6 toons on a 3 year old, HP business laptop with 8GB of RAM and a basic/generic video card. Granted, I am using MQ2eqwire, as many others have commented. AMD vs. Intel is really just personal preference. Those guys are in a 25 year long arms-race playing catch up with each other. I can't imaging getting anything reasonable today that won't support what you're doing. The better you buy now, the longer life you can expect from it.

Just on MQ2eqwire again, this is all 10 of my accounts running. 11% is nothing, the AMD processors will run fine.

Untitled-2.png

I am looking at one of the new AMD processors and using their build in graphics as well to keep it less noisy and in a smaller form factor.

The new AMD cpu's are great for home builds and anything you buy now will be great for EQ
Go here for good advice https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

To be honest thou I dont see much use for a desktop unless you are going to buy a good video card to play other games, for EQ laptops are great, just plug it into your monitor
Only reason I wouldnt go laptop is if you have 0 need for a laptop as laptops are more expensive, but a PC+laptop is more expensive than a good laptop

The new AMD cpu's are great for home builds and anything you buy now will be great for EQ
Go here for good advice https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

To be honest thou I dont see much use for a desktop unless you are going to buy a good video card to play other games, for EQ laptops are great, just plug it into your monitor
Only reason I wouldnt go laptop is if you have 0 need for a laptop as laptops are more expensive, but a PC+laptop is more expensive than a good laptop

I tried the whole laptop route and it was horrible. They run way too hot and lets compare the number of clients you can run on each compared to the cost. I can build you a desktop that can run 5 groups for $600 or 9-10 for $700-750

eq.png

this is AMD 2700x with RX 580 GPU. Thats 42 clients right there. Without using eqwire even.

A discussion I had with someone previously when I was building my system (just started using the i9-9900k) was that due to EQ being configured for a single core per instance of EQ. you'll likely get more out of an AMD with more cores than a higher frequency with less cores CPU. The 2700x that William mentioned has an 8 core processor. The i9-9900k has 8 cores as well. Each has comparable frequencies, and each requires a specific cpu slot, which means different board choices. However the boards available for each have comparable layout's or options. Both appear to have like power consumption at 95w on the intel, and 105w for the amd.

The price of the 2700x is currently $248 on amazon.
The price of the 9900k is currently $489 on amazon.

I expect if EQ is the primary subject of the setup then the AMD is cheaper for like results. If expanding beyond EQ then it really depends on what you intend to play / do.

Intel info gathered from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9900k.html
Amd info gathered from https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x

For benchmark comparison results you'll find i9-9900k shows it's ahead in 6th place, with the 2700x in 14th place. (at least for this specific site)
https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-cpus

I just changed from a laptop, the difference is night and day for sure. I was using an i7 on my laptop with a 1060, ran too hot which caused throttling to occur to maintain a maximum temperature. Cleaning was a pain in the rear due to the nature of laptops in general. Typically requiring an annual in depth cleaning of the heat sink fins due to clogging of the fins if you failed to stay on top of things for keeping them clean. Specifically when running the system for a real long duration like I do.

I expect regardless of the route chosen, updating to a modern CPU would result in pleasing performance overall. However, if you're not already going over 50% on your system currently I wouldn't expect the gain you'll get to make much, if any, difference.

bottle necks for systems usually occurs for systems in the memory aspect, where you'll find yourself using more memory than you have. Before I ran 6 toons on 16gigs because I usually had a ton of other things running. I'm now using 32 gigs and my computer laughs at 6 accounts. So I expect if 6 toons is all you aspire to run, 16 gigs should handle it fine.

With all that said...you were asking about AMD Ryzen 5 3600 I didn't see a "k" version at the end of the number, but the one I did find on amazon for the ryzen 5 3600 showed the same price as the 2700x Ryzen 7, but has 2 less cores, the power draw is down to 65w, but both use the am4 package according to their page. So I'd personally opt for the 2700x over the 3600 if I was choosing an AMD in your case. I do not see the 3600 listed on the benchmark results in the link previously provided.
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-36...Ryzen™+5+3600&qid=1562834494&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Best of luck, and happy hunting!

If for eq im of the mind more cores and speed. then take a shoehorn and cram as much ram as you can. then go get a nvidia 210 to run the gfx, lmao may be able to get it for free

I tried the whole laptop route and it was horrible. They run way too hot and lets compare the number of clients you can run on each compared to the cost. I can build you a desktop that can run 5 groups for $600 or 9-10 for $700-750

this is AMD 2700x with RX 580 GPU. Thats 42 clients right there. Without using eqwire even.

Very few people run more than 12 instances.
If you have no use for a laptop then sure get a desktop but if you need both than put that extra money into a higher end laptop
My thought is having multiple PC's actually sucks, this from a guy that used to have racks in his house....

I would rather throw a grand on top of a 800$ desktop to get a nice Dell XPS or Lenovo Thinkpad quality laptop. I wouldnt buy a <1000$ laptop but would a desktop.

An 8th gen intelU will run that fine without heat issues and you dont need to get the low power U cpu's, get full power if ~4ish hours battery is good enough.

I am considering getting rid of my desktop and getting an X1 tablet with eGPU setup like this dude, just a single cable to ethernet/monitor/power/usb bullshit
vSfYRpx.jpg

Last edited:
A discussion I had with someone previously when I was building my system (just started using the i9-9900k) was that due to EQ being configured for a single core per instance of EQ. you'll likely get more out of an AMD with more cores than a higher frequency with less cores CPU. The 2700x that William mentioned has an 8 core processor. The i9-9900k has 8 cores as well. Each has comparable frequencies, and each requires a specific cpu slot, which means different board choices. However the boards available for each have comparable layout's or options. Both appear to have like power consumption at 95w on the intel, and 105w for the amd.

The price of the 2700x is currently $248 on amazon.
The price of the 9900k is currently $489 on amazon.

I expect if EQ is the primary subject of the setup then the AMD is cheaper for like results. If expanding beyond EQ then it really depends on what you intend to play / do.

Intel info gathered from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9900k.html
Amd info gathered from https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x

For benchmark comparison results you'll find i9-9900k shows it's ahead in 6th place, with the 2700x in 14th place. (at least for this specific site)
https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-cpus

I just changed from a laptop, the difference is night and day for sure. I was using an i7 on my laptop with a 1060, ran too hot which caused throttling to occur to maintain a maximum temperature. Cleaning was a pain in the rear due to the nature of laptops in general. Typically requiring an annual in depth cleaning of the heat sink fins due to clogging of the fins if you failed to stay on top of things for keeping them clean. Specifically when running the system for a real long duration like I do.

I expect regardless of the route chosen, updating to a modern CPU would result in pleasing performance overall. However, if you're not already going over 50% on your system currently I wouldn't expect the gain you'll get to make much, if any, difference.

bottle necks for systems usually occurs for systems in the memory aspect, where you'll find yourself using more memory than you have. Before I ran 6 toons on 16gigs because I usually had a ton of other things running. I'm now using 32 gigs and my computer laughs at 6 accounts. So I expect if 6 toons is all you aspire to run, 16 gigs should handle it fine.

With all that said...you were asking about AMD Ryzen 5 3600 I didn't see a "k" version at the end of the number, but the one I did find on amazon for the ryzen 5 3600 showed the same price as the 2700x Ryzen 7, but has 2 less cores, the power draw is down to 65w, but both use the am4 package according to their page. So I'd personally opt for the 2700x over the 3600 if I was choosing an AMD in your case. I do not see the 3600 listed on the benchmark results in the link previously provided.
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3600X-12-Thread-Processor/dp/B07SQBFN2D/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=AMD+Ryzen™+5+3600&qid=1562834494&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Best of luck, and happy hunting!
I use the k and should have used the x on the AMD product. Is I do not really play many more games, rarely DDO and World of Tanks. I have an old Nvidia 770 card but only 8 gigs of ram. At the price point of the new AMD chips was thinking I could afford much more ram and decent video card without having to break the bank. How do you like your i9.

I personally run the Ryzen 5 3600 w/ 16gb ram and a RTX 2070. Yes I play other games other than EQ.

I have no issues with 18 instances of the game on one computer. I do use MQ2EQwire though when I have them all on my desktop.

I personally love my i9, never maxed it out myself. I think currently the most instances of EQ i've put on it was 10 at once, 6 running on live, and 4 on test. While also running my typical list of other crap, VS2019, Notepad++, some random steam game. Sometimes I play path of exile on my main monitor while eq does it's thing on another monitor. Now for me with the i9-9900k I'm also running 32 gigs ddr4 memory and an RTX 2070. Computer hasn't even so much as had a hiccup.

Benchmarks I've seen show the i9 as the king when it comes to FPS in games.

I personally love my i9, never maxed it out myself. I think currently the most instances of EQ i've put on it was 10 at once, 6 running on live, and 4 on test. While also running my typical list of other crap, VS2019, Notepad++, some random steam game. Sometimes I play path of exile on my main monitor while eq does it's thing on another monitor. Now for me with the i9-9900k I'm also running 32 gigs ddr4 memory and an RTX 2070. Computer hasn't even so much as had a hiccup.

I have the same setup but an older gfx card, the GTX 970. It's a beast of a system, very happy with my i9. The only downside being the ridiculous plastic egg it comes in.

Intel-Core-i9-9900K-2-370x370.jpg

That plastic egg was pretty fucking annoying. My wife insisted on keeping it, saying that was half the cost of the processor, it now sits on my end table in the living room.

AMD 2600x desktop built over Christmas time here. Love it, and zero issues with EQ. Wanted to wait for the 3000 series this year, but was too anxious to get rolling.

Bringing back an old thread since I am in the market for a new CPU with the great Microcenter deals going on.

For boxing multiple groups which would be recommended?

Ryzen 7 2700x 8 core 16 thread $140 vs Ryzen 5 3600x 6 core 12 thread $160?

Bench marks show for most gaming the newer gen Ryzen 5 3600x beats the Ryzen 7 2700x but that is using 1-6 core. 2700x beats the 3600x marginally when using all cores. With multi boxing and I would think more cores = better?

Any CPU builders have any tips or recommendations?

What price can you get the 3600 (without the X)? I read that the X isn't worth the extra money because it basically only gives you a better cooler which is still worse than a $20 after market cooler anyway. But if the price difference is less now, I'd get the X anyway. I don't know which would be better for EQ, the 2700 8 core or the 3600 6 core, but personally I would go for the 6 core. Fewer cores but better performance in general. Also I used to 24 box on my little 10 year old quad core, and that was without MQ2EQwire which would make a big difference now. Any of those chips are around 3 times faster than my old quad core, so you should be able to box 30+ but maybe even 40 or 50+ with EQwire.

The main issue is RAM. My 24 box used to completely max out my 16gb. I couldn't even open a browser. Pretty soon I'm gonna upgrade too and I'll be getting 32gb.

What price can you get the 3600 (without the X)? I read that the X isn't worth the extra money because it basically only gives you a better cooler which is still worse than a $20 after market cooler anyway. But if the price difference is less now, I'd get the X anyway. I don't know which would be better for EQ, the 2700 8 core or the 3600 6 core, but personally I would go for the 6 core. Fewer cores but better performance in general. Also I used to 24 box on my little 10 year old quad core, and that was without MQ2EQwire which would make a big difference now. Any of those chips are around 3 times faster than my old quad core, so you should be able to box 30+ but maybe even 40 or 50+ with EQwire.

The main issue is RAM. My 24 box used to completely max out my 16gb. I couldn't even open a browser. Pretty soon I'm gonna upgrade too and I'll be getting 32gb.

Thanks for this! the normal 3600 is $150 so still great deal. I figured for $10 more I would just get the X.

Discussion - Computer Build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back