• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Discussion - Caster Group! Robe Power! But... Which Tank? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,336¢
Against all recommendations, I have went the route of the caster group over the melee group. I've almost got the team completed and in place. The last piece of the puzzle is a final decision on the tank. I would love some suggestions based on my current lineup and a couple other variables.

So the core outside the tank/CC. mage/druid/wizard/Shaman (the druid may seem silly with current group, but it's my oldest character and I wanted to add it to the mix. I actually love have the extra battle rez, heals and combined with teh Wizard, group is getting around the world quickly. Have all those extra "port group to bind" options is easy mode).

Now, I'm going to add an Enchanter, cause why not and I need a caster group style CC and Enchanter sticks with the caster group theme.

In regards to tank.

Account one: Currently my tank is Paladin. Already 125, with approaching 60k AA.
Account Two: 113 SK with 1.5 epic. (Another character I've had for like 15 years). On this account I have a 100 boost available.

So it seems the smart thing to do would be keep the Pally, and boost myself an Enchanter on account two and ride off into the sunset. However, with the SK being an older character that I have a little nostalgia for and connection too, I'm thinking about going with it. This would mean I have to level an Enchanter starting at level 1 on the first account where my Pally is. (The Pally was a 100 boost that was then PL'ed to 125. No nostalgia or connections with this character but it gets the tanking job done.)

So... which tank would you prefer with the caster group of ench/mage/druid/wizard/shaman?

Having the Pally gives a 3rd rez and more heals, which seems overkill but man.... this group could stand in about any situation.

The SK is going to bring back a character that I feel connected too and that I've put a TON of hours in over the years along with all the things SK's do. I can move it into the group and get it to 125 pretty quickly and then start the process of leveling up an Enchanter.

Or..... just boost an enchanter on SK account and keep the Pally.

Sk

You're playing on test now right? Make enc and two throw away chars and let gold mercs pl your enc. It won't take too long to get high enough to group with your other chars.

Against all recommendations, I have went the route of the caster group over the melee group. I've almost got the team completed and in place. The last piece of the puzzle is a final decision on the tank. I would love some suggestions based on my current lineup and a couple other variables.

So the core outside the tank/CC. mage/druid/wizard/Shaman (the druid may seem silly with current group, but it's my oldest character and I wanted to add it to the mix. I actually love have the extra battle rez, heals and combined with teh Wizard, group is getting around the world quickly. Have all those extra "port group to bind" options is easy mode).

Now, I'm going to add an Enchanter, cause why not and I need a caster group style CC and Enchanter sticks with the caster group theme.

In regards to tank.

Account one: Currently my tank is Paladin. Already 125, with approaching 60k AA.
Account Two: 113 SK with 1.5 epic. (Another character I've had for like 15 years). On this account I have a 100 boost available.

So it seems the smart thing to do would be keep the Pally, and boost myself an Enchanter on account two and ride off into the sunset. However, with the SK being an older character that I have a little nostalgia for and connection too, I'm thinking about going with it. This would mean I have to level an Enchanter starting at level 1 on the first account where my Pally is. (The Pally was a 100 boost that was then PL'ed to 125. No nostalgia or connections with this character but it gets the tanking job done.)

So... which tank would you prefer with the caster group of ench/mage/druid/wizard/shaman?

Having the Pally gives a 3rd rez and more heals, which seems overkill but man.... this group could stand in about any situation.

The SK is going to bring back a character that I feel connected too and that I've put a TON of hours in over the years along with all the things SK's do. I can move it into the group and get it to 125 pretty quickly and then start the process of leveling up an Enchanter.

I front my caster group with an SK. I front my melee with an SK. My primary group is my caster group. I run a bard instead of enchanter, but I have a enchanter 125 and it can/has done fine as a replacement for the bard, but we're off topic.

I have often thought about making a paladin to MT one of my groups, but both SK are max level/aa and none of paladins are even close to that. I understand your connection to the SK. My connection to my main SK (lifetime account, 1999 toons) is similar. I get that and would never replace it, but if all you're looking for is to resolve your MT question, either will work fine. I'd probably stick with Paladin for now, drop the druid in favor of enchanter or bard as you like. Raise the SK within that same group till it can take over as MT. There is nothing at all wrong with a paladin and an SK in same group. Your mage/wizard will easily handle the dps, and sk and enchanters are not chopped liver for dps. Anyway, once you have both tanks, you can make a better decision which you might prefer (SK).

Sk

You're playing on test now right? Make enc and two throw away chars and let gold mercs pl your enc. It won't take too long to get high enough to group with your other chars.

Yes, I just made the move to test. So basically a group of 3 at level 1, with 3 mercs and just get it done until 95?

I front my caster group with an SK. I front my melee with an SK. My primary group is my caster group. I run a bard instead of enchanter, but I have a enchanter 125 and it can/has done fine as a replacement for the bard, but we're off topic.

I have often thought about making a paladin to MT one of my groups, but both SK are max level/aa and none of paladins are even close to that. I understand your connection to the SK. My connection to my main SK (lifetime account, 1999 toons) is similar. I get that and would never replace it, but if all you're looking for is to resolve your MT question, either will work fine. I'd probably stick with Paladin for now, drop the druid in favor of enchanter or bard as you like. Raise the SK within that same group till it can take over as MT. There is nothing at all wrong with a paladin and an SK in same group. Your mage/wizard will easily handle the dps, and sk and enchanters are not chopped liver for dps. Anyway, once you have both tanks, you can make a better decision which you might prefer (SK).

I've considered this as well. My druid shares and account with my 125 Bard. I'm worried that my DPS wont be enough, but I have strongly considered Pal/SK/Mage/Bard/Wizard/Sham With SK eventually taking over as my tank/main. Pally would add utility with heals, rez, cures, and back up tanking.

Oh you're set. Drop druid. Add bard. you absolutely do not need 2 priests esp with paladin in group. Run paladin as MT till SK can step up. Replace paladin (or not) with a ranger. :)

I think I will go ahead and move my SK into group soon and work up / power level an Enchanter. This whole process will probably take a couple weeks but it will be worth it I think in the long run to have my two characters that I've had for several years and should be fun to see all the nukes falling from they sky from all the casters. I think Enchanters might be overlooked and under appreciate as well, especially when you have them on CWTN and they can add charmed pet and amazing crowd control. The debuffing happening from this team should be suffocating and the survivabilty and travel ability of this group is unmatched.

In regards to tank.

@cintile i've seen...and done some pretty amazing things with beastlord as a mt...i mean it's no warrior or sk...but once geared/aa'd it holds its own pretty well.

game of thrones hug GIF

@cintile i've seen...and done some pretty amazing things with beastlord as a mt...i mean it's no warrior or sk...but once geared/aa'd it holds its own pretty well.

Indeed. I have a 125 BST that up until a little while I go, I played as my main. I went all the way to 125, with no automation or PL (on BST) with just a bard and mage and a healer merc. The BST pet tanked like a boss, sometimes two mobs at once in LS content.

The issue comes in when doing missions. I wish it wasn't so, but you have to have a real tank for those because the mobs/bosses ignore the pet and attack whatever is within melee range. Altho..... I guess with a caster group, everyone is range anyways.

So for world content, I love the BST and if not for the missions issue, I would still be maining it and not even considering a real tank.

As an example, my team recently has been pal/bst/bard/sham/mage/wiz

Which is a great team I guess... I suppose I could get better at setting the Pal as "tank" and driving/pulling with my BST since I actually do like that class and know how to play it. Or, I could still replace the Pally with Ench, keep druid in place of Bard, if I could legit do the missions without a real tank, but I think it might be more work then its worth doing it that way.

Indeed. I have a 125 BST that up until a little while I go, I played as my main. I went all the way to 125, with no automation or PL (on BST) with just a bard and mage and a healer merc. The BST pet tanked like a boss, sometimes two mobs at once in LS content.

The issue comes in when doing missions. I wish it wasn't so, but you have to have a real tank for those because the mobs/bosses ignore the pet and attack whatever is within melee range. Altho..... I guess with a caster group, everyone is range anyways.

So for world content, I love the BST and if not for the missions issue, I would still be maining it and not even considering a real tank.

As an example, my team recently has been pal/bst/bard/sham/mage/wiz

Which is a great team I guess... I suppose I could get better at setting the Pal as "tank" and driving/pulling with my BST since I actually do like that class and know how to play it. Or, I could still replace the Pally with Ench, keep druid in place of Bard, if I could legit do the missions without a real tank, but I think it might be more work then its worth doing it that way.
@cintile well SK is technically a finger waggler (caster)...so that doesn't break your theme...

Just a callout on your heroic boost to have your cake and eat it too…

Heroic on a live server. /testcopy

Delete your new heroic in the live server. It creates a heroic for you to use again on the same account.

Create a new heroic on a live server. /testcopy

Rinse and repeat.

The gear re-populates every time. The currency does not, so make sure you pull it.

Just a callout on your heroic boost to have your cake and eat it too…

Heroic on a live server. /testcopy

Delete your new heroic in the live server. It creates a heroic for you to use again on the same account.

Create a new heroic on a live server. /testcopy

Rinse and repeat.

The gear re-populates every time. The currency does not, so make sure you pull it.

If you delete the free 100 boost, it gives it back to you? Cause if so.... that's a no brainer and boom I have my Enchanter

The tokens (in most cases) are recycled. So any char made with a 85 or 100 gives you back token if char deleted

I knew that about the 85's. I didn't realize you could do that with the recent FREE 100 boost they handed out. Thanks! If that's true, that might completely change my whole line up lol.

My best group of 46 toons I can field for group content is Pally, Shaman, Necro, Enchanter, Beastlord, Mage.

You can make the Enchanter level it if you don't like the group reroll the Enchanter as you can on Heroics. Then go the SK route. You're in no hurry this is EVERquest!!!

Since you're going against the grain, I can only assume you're going to value fun over min/max.

If looking for a caster group, i would suggest either SK or Pally as it fits the theme. Beyond that which ever you enjoy the most because either would work in a group status.

For me, if it is a single group, SK is my Go-To tank. Has never let me down, but I never really push high end content as i end up just starting a new crew up and running to 60-70 range.

I had a writeup somewhere on these forums about grouping. It is older, I might need to update it to current content when I get the expacs. Currently F2P on test. However...

From a Tank perspective, I am always partial to SHD. For groups, raids, you name it. SHD is where it is at. But, something can be said for Paladin too. With CWTN, Paladins are a beast and can pretty much tank anything out there, and do it well. I run a PAL with my caster group, but mine is pet focused.

PAL/SHM/ENC/DRU/MAG/WIZ in your case is the best bet. I am a huge fan of bards, but ENC has everything on lockdown for days. Will be tough to kill this group with the amount of healing you can do. If you are looking for meta, then I would take something different entirely.

What would you take instead? I’m up for suggestions.
PAL/SHM/BRD/BST/MAG/NEC is solid. Pet focused. You can also drop the NEC for WIZ since you want to play one it looks like. Can even swap BRD for ENC if you plan on dropping the NEC.

That is the great thing about EQ. No wrong way to go about things. Try something out, that doesn't work, try something else.

I am currently leveling up a DRU/WIZ/RNG combo because I never had them before. We shall see how it goes.

If I change nothing I literally have pal/bard/bst/mage/shm/wiz. I almost want nec instead of wiz for another pet, but I though that the wiz would be better dps and the ports.

I think the answer might simply be to swap out Wiz for Ench, and keep my Dru since i want her in the line up. Pal/bst/mage/dru/shm/ench

Went ahead and swapped out the Wiz for an Enchanter. I wasn't over impressed with it to be honest. So now we are at pal/bst/dru/mage/shm/ench

Anyone have any experience with Druid as the only healer? Wondering about swapping out the Shaman for a Necro to get the full on robe/pet experience. Not sure it would be worth it to loose the Shaman as the primary healer, but if Druid can get it done then might be fun to add the necro.

Last edited:
Discussion - Caster Group! Robe Power! But... Which Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back