• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Can a 115 autogranted f2p mage tank tov content? (1 Viewer)

knave23

Cookie Champion 2022
RedCents
1,846¢
I've got a caster group I'm close to 115 on and am prepping to krono and grind aa's with them during the bonus next week. Just planning ahead and didn't know if I'll need to run a tank outside of group for them. Mage has full snowbound and the t1 pet ear, but I might make him the faded velium one for this since he'll be krono'd.

Also happy to take any tips on caster groups as this will be my first one (MAG/NEC/NEC/BRD/ENC/DRU). Will MAG/DRU be enough healing?

set your necros to LT for the group (they can heal themselfs, and pet also). depending on pet AA's is if mage pet can tank. pet classes get that gob of "pet aa's" pretty sure a bunch of them are def~

I would drop the ench for another mage or wizzy .. bard and ench just doesnt look right .. both can mez/haste .. bard at least has tracking and selo's .. also if your not gonna be healing your pet with the mage I wouldnt rely on a druid to be the full time healer .. in which case id go for either cleric or shaman .. so my group makeup Mage/mage/nec/nec/bard/cleric or Shm ... but do what you enjoy thats what its all about ..

Pallys make good group healers! jk

But yes, a real tank would be nice, but Knave isnt new, and some people like to try new things (@ImGreg ) :raise:

I figured.

I tried a caster group earlier, sure is cool and all, but when the foes swarm you and you have no agg control shit hits the fan real fast :P haha.

(I'm fully aware you surely knows this)

But that said, I would remove the enchanter and add another mage or necro.. also remove the druid to make place for a master healer class, cleric.

(MAG/NEC/NEC/BRD/MAG/CLC)

Dont remove the ENC from a caster group. Remove the Bard, and add a Shaman.
MAG/NEC/NEC/SHM/ENC/DRU
This is not an easy group .... EQ is heavily weighted towards having a Tank but if you were really serious about a straight caster group then it might work. Might even be inclined to drop the DRU for another Mage if you are really serious about caster group. Druid just doesn't bring enough to the table.
Just my opinion.

Yeah obviously a tank would be ideal, but this group is the way it is because that's how it is in my raid force. I was hoping they'd be self-sufficient enough I wouldn't have to sub in a tank, but I can if I have to. I guess to be a little clearer: I'm not asking if this group can run through content or missions, just if the mage pet will be able to handle mobs with only autogranted aa's at first while the group grinds away.

I've got a caster group I'm close to 115 on and am prepping to krono and grind aa's with them during the bonus next week. Just planning ahead and didn't know if I'll need to run a tank outside of group for them. Mage has full snowbound and the t1 pet ear, but I might make him the faded velium one for this since he'll be krono'd.

Also happy to take any tips on caster groups as this will be my first one (MAG/NEC/NEC/BRD/ENC/DRU). Will MAG/DRU be enough healing?
@knave23 Yes, just get the right non-prestige EM earring.

Some people have had some good success with having a "real" tank class to do the pulling / survive the initial few hits before mezzes can land, and then still allowing the pets to do the actual tanking once its in camp.

That said, as others have said the bard is less impactful than an ench in a caster focused group. May consider even changing the bard for a shaman (the aura giving haste to swarm pets is pretty effective right out of the box). Shm+Dru+Mag will be more than enough to keep the pets up, both priests add their own forms of adps

Pallys make good group healers! jk

But yes, a real tank would be nice, but Knave isnt new, and some people like to try new things (@ImGreg ) :raise:
@ImGreg ... trying something new...

Fail Old Man GIF
Dunk Fail GIF
Shocked April Fools GIF
Trampoline Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

bicycle falling GIF
Neil Degrasse Tyson Lol GIF
dive fail GIF

I received advice on this forum about 3 times before doing it.

"just make the d*** tank"

My only regret is that I didn't take this advice sooner. Also, if you do, make an SK. :)

If it comes to ditch either bard or enchanter, i would keep the bard. For a group of wiz likely the enchanter would shine, but a group of petclasses will benefit more from the bard. I would consider to swap the druid with a shaman and consider setting all pets on taunt.
The auras from Bard and Shaman will improve not only the regular pets but also all the swarm-pets. The bard has sufficient cc, the shaman can throw all the different forms of duration heals. If all pets are taunting the shamans groupheals likely will be sufficent to keep all pets alive.
Once lvl 115, get the CoV T1 pet-earring which is on par with the tov T3 if I remember well, tradeable and non prestige.

Last edited:
Knave you can easily to most ToV with that group. I currently am doing ToV with a 112 caster group. I have a pally tank, but he is wearing 100 gear so I have to use the mage pet to tank. You might run into issues doing the missions tho.

Knave you can easily to most ToV with that group. I currently am doing ToV with a 112 caster group. I have a pally tank, but he is wearing 100 gear so I have to use the mage pet to tank. You might run into issues doing the missions tho.

The journey will end after Eastern Wastes =P Maybe some quest in GD would be possible, but I doubt it.

Frozen Tower and Velk lab and Kael D, gonna be madness without CC and a strong tank for agg control, with good gear so the tank can take tons of hits.

So I would not say ''most'' maybe the tier 1 quests.

If you manage that with ftp gear on level 112 toons with a pally with level 100 gear I would gladly see that.

Just a word of warning about your krono grinding AA plans. I had exactly the same strategy last year with a group of toons. The group was all 110 rather than 115, but I popped kronos on them all the day before the giving event exp bonus started. At the time, Daybreak was autogranting to RoS, so after I popped the kronos I ground AA's like mad at 110, and then switched to regular experience once I maxed the important110 AA's.

Then came the new expansion release in early December ... and Daybreak upped the autogrant to TBL. If I had waited to pop the krono until after the release I wouldn't have wasted all the xp bonus time grinding AA's that were then autogranted a couple of weeks later. I'm not sure if they normally up the autogrant at the time of expansion release, but I wasn't expecting them to do that until the following June when the made CoV free to play.

The next AA autogrant bump (if they do it in December) would autogrant up to ToV which would be many of the AA's between 110 and 115. With your strategy you might just use up a bunch of kronos, and then have them give you all those AAs for free a couple of weeks later. No guarantees, but I would wait until after the December release. Oh yeah, and get a tank like everyone else said :xd:

Last edited:
Follow up on this, the group is doing just fine. Pet tanks pretty great (all thanks to CWTN plugins tbh). Only problem is bard is pretty fragile, but with only half her gear slots filled that makes sense. I guess caveat that I've not ventured into t2 ToV, but mage pet is doing well enough I don't think it'd be bad, just slower kills.

@blahblahblah84 - in hindsight, I think you're 100% correct in that I should've waited until SoL release to pop kronos. RL got in the way and I didn't get to do much of the bonus, but it was at least nice getting the group going and seeing how it performs.

Follow up on this, the group is doing just fine. Pet tanks pretty great (all thanks to CWTN plugins tbh). Only problem is bard is pretty fragile, but with only half her gear slots filled that makes sense. I guess caveat that I've not ventured into t2 ToV, but mage pet is doing well enough I don't think it'd be bad, just slower kills.

@blahblahblah84 - in hindsight, I think you're 100% correct in that I should've waited until SoL release to pop kronos. RL got in the way and I didn't get to do much of the bonus, but it was at least nice getting the group going and seeing how it performs.
Well at least you have another smaller bonus going now to take advantage of!

Question - Can a 115 autogranted f2p mage tank tov content?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back