• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Blocking Annoying Sounds? (1 Viewer)

EnGarde

RedCents
1,056¢
Howdy all...
As a long time EQ player, I have come to hate certain sounds in the game. I'm sure you know what I mean.. things like: Skeleton laughing, wolf barking, and the list goes on and on. Depending on where I am hunting and with what characters, I play with my sound off.. which has certain drawbacks. So my question is: Is there anyway to block these sounds?
A quick scan of the boards didn't reveal anything on this subject so I hope it hasn't been brought up/beaten to death already.
Thanks all!

Howdy all...
As a long time EQ player, I have come to hate certain sounds in the game. I'm sure you know what I mean.. things like: Skeleton laughing, wolf barking, and the list goes on and on. Depending on where I am hunting and with what characters, I play with my sound off.. which has certain drawbacks. So my question is: Is there anyway to block these sounds?
A quick scan of the boards didn't reveal anything on this subject so I hope it hasn't been brought up/beaten to death already.
Thanks all!

One of the redeeming qualities of LotRo is the mechanism where you can 'record' the sounds in-game, and it displays each one so you can block the ones you do not wish to hear anymore. Vaguely similar to blocking buffs in EQ.

I've wondered if such a thing existed in EQ, but have never heard of such. If it's possible, the seasoned vets here at RG will know.

Ya, as I said, turning off the audio has detrimental effects and I'd prefer to have it on. So does this response say that there isn't a way to block the sounds?
There are a lot of .wavs in the /sounds directory of EQ.. a lot! And I have run through some of them looking for the offending sounds, with no luck so far. Are there any other external sound files?
Honestly, I thought this would be the best place to ask regarding this, so I haven't really done any other research..
Thanks again

I vaguely remember something that I noticed a really long time ago which may be helpful. I noticed if I turned off the text incoming for others hits, it would effectively keep the game from making the grunting sounds when other toons would hit mobs. I had this thing where I wanted to hear them hitting the mobs. So, I ended up making a separate chat box with just this info filtered, and minimizing and setting fade to 100%. That way I didn't have to see the text, but I could hear the effects. Maybe worth a try to mess around with some text / chat settings and see if you turn any of those things off, if it will also turn off some FX> Otherwise what I experienced may have just been a bug or something that doesn't even happen anymore.

Other than that, I believe you are looking at an all or nothing approach as all of the sound effects are attached to the game itself. The game would need to have a coded setting to turn off that effect. You COULD try and overwrite the FX sounds with files that don't have any content. (dead air) But as soon as you patch, those will be overwritten. So you can play with a shortcut to not patch for awhile. But eventually you will need to patch.

Edit: Replacing the sound files wouldn't prove to be too problematic even in a patch as you should only need to re-copy your silent files over after patch would take all but a couple of minutes. At least in theory unless they re-names any of the files during a patch (which probably isn't likely)

Edit2: I took a quick look, and it looks like all the FX are in the everquest/sounds directory. But there are A LOT of them. So you would be spending some time going through them to see what each one is.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc.. I don't think that particular thing works that way anymore, but I will check. As for brute forcing it by changing the sound files, certainly doable but ya, over 3k files in there and I have so far not located any of the ones I am looking for. I have to admit I am surprised that this hasn't come up before and been addressed. I love to use my skelly forms and wolf forms but the noise just drives me nuts.. and there are others that are as annoying as well.. that have to GO!
Thanks again!

Found this over at project 1999

was posted by
Casey VII
back in June of 2013.. so for fyi on this..

Annoying & loud sounds
Just as a reminder you can edit soundassets.txt in your Everquest folder with notepad.
Just delete the entire line from the text file (including the linefeed), for each line that you want disabled.
You don't have to edit s3d files or anything else with this method. Thanks Bamzal.
If for some reason you want to add them back in you can if you remember what you took out, so probably good idea to make a
.safe file.

Here is a little list:
chest_cl - close box
chest_op - open box
itemclth - closing bag
wearclth - putting items into inventory
watundlp - underwater loop
thunder1 - thunder
thunder2 - thunder
wind_lp1 - tunnel wind
scar_att - scarecrow attack
scar_sat - scarecrow proc
scar_hit - scarecrow being attacked
skelatt1 - skeleton attack laugh
skelatt2 - skeleton proc laugh
werewatt - werewolf attack scream
werewhit - werewolf getting hit scream
wolf_att - wolf attack bark
wolf_hit - wolf getting hit yelp
giantrun - giants stomping
giantwlk - giants stomping
werewidl - werewolf idle howl
wolf_idl - wolf idle howl
wind_lp2 - wind loop
wind_lp3 - wind loop
wind_lp3 - wind loop
wind_lp4 - wind loop
wind_wh1 - wind loop
wind_wh2 - wind loop
wind_cave_lp - wind loop
wind_corr_lp - wind loop
wind_lite_lp - wind loop
wind_strong_lp - wind loop

So, just to note, these listing are in the soundassets file..not in the /sounds directory.
Hope ya find this useful and if you discover any other awesomely awful sounds, please be sure to post!
Thanks

Found this over at project 1999

was posted by
Casey VII
back in June of 2013.. so for fyi on this..

Annoying & loud sounds
Just as a reminder you can edit soundassets.txt in your Everquest folder with notepad.
Just delete the entire line from the text file (including the linefeed), for each line that you want disabled.
You don't have to edit s3d files or anything else with this method. Thanks Bamzal.
If for some reason you want to add them back in you can if you remember what you took out, so probably good idea to make a
.safe file.

Here is a little list:
chest_cl - close box
chest_op - open box
itemclth - closing bag
wearclth - putting items into inventory
watundlp - underwater loop
thunder1 - thunder
thunder2 - thunder
wind_lp1 - tunnel wind
scar_att - scarecrow attack
scar_sat - scarecrow proc
scar_hit - scarecrow being attacked
skelatt1 - skeleton attack laugh
skelatt2 - skeleton proc laugh
werewatt - werewolf attack scream
werewhit - werewolf getting hit scream
wolf_att - wolf attack bark
wolf_hit - wolf getting hit yelp
giantrun - giants stomping
giantwlk - giants stomping
werewidl - werewolf idle howl
wolf_idl - wolf idle howl
wind_lp2 - wind loop
wind_lp3 - wind loop
wind_lp3 - wind loop
wind_lp4 - wind loop
wind_wh1 - wind loop
wind_wh2 - wind loop
wind_cave_lp - wind loop
wind_corr_lp - wind loop
wind_lite_lp - wind loop
wind_strong_lp - wind loop

So, just to note, these listing are in the soundassets file..not in the /sounds directory.
Hope ya find this useful and if you discover any other awesomely awful sounds, please be sure to post!
Thanks
I did not know this! Nice find! 🙏

Question - Blocking Annoying Sounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back