• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Acer 5 Review (1 Viewer)

luclinjunkie

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
1,173¢
Hey guys, I figured I would drop a quick review of my Acer Nitro 5. I doubt anyone needs this. From what I've seen y'all are more tech savvy than I am, but if you need a laptop and on a budget, here is my review.

Let me preface this by saying that prior to this I got two laptops that were each about $2K. They both died within 2 years: An MSI and Razer. I was disappointed with both within the first few months of having them. They both had heating issues and had to be sent to manufacturer for repairs / replacements.

Nitro 5 specs:
Intel Core i5, 8GB memory, NVIDIA GTX 1650, 512GB SSD.

Pros:
Cheap got it for $599 on sale.
Easy to use, no out-of-box issues.
I can run 6 instances of EQ (full group) on it unplugged for about an hour and a half before I'm low battery.
Can run 14 instances of EQ without heating issues, memory problems, etc.
Light and easy to use keyboard / trackpad.
This is an easy, cheap option if you're looking to just grab a quick laptop.
Easy board access and easy to disassemble.
Replacement parts readily available. My Catahoula (Ghost) ate the power adapter in the first week of owning the PC. Got a replacement for $12 bucks.

Cons:
Low memory, changed out the stick and put in 16GB (comes with 8).
Slight screen tear on more modern games - WoW had a bit of tear with maxed graphics whlile flying around / rotating camera.
The backlight on the keyboard is keystroke driven, so when idle the light goes out and you have to click a button to get it to illuminate. It's annoying in low light situations.
The 1650 is not a great card. I have not had issues with it, but no option to replace.

Last edited:
I've tried 2 laptops over the years and my main issue has always been heating and power consumption. The space they save is great but just too loud if you want to keep them cool while running 4-6 groups.

I've tried 2 laptops over the years and my main issue has always been heating and power consumption. The space they save is great but just too loud if you want to keep them cool while running 4-6 groups.
For sure, I have a tower in my closet. Between work and being a parent if I'm not mobile / on my laptop I couldn't play.

The best gaming laptop I used was my Asus ROG G751JY. It never had heating issues, but was built like a tank. It had 2 fans and the entire body was basically a heat sink. So it weighed a ton for a laptop. That being said, I am surprised you found a laptop sub 1k$ that has dedicated VRAM. In my experience most laptops use shared RAM which is the true performance killer on them.

The best gaming laptop I used was my Asus ROG G751JY. It never had heating issues, but was built like a tank. It had 2 fans and the entire body was basically a heat sink. So it weighed a ton for a laptop. That being said, I am surprised you found a laptop sub 1k$ that has dedicated VRAM. In my experience most laptops use shared RAM which is the true performance killer on them.
I am wrong it's soldered on MB. Will edit post :(

Get an Alienware Area 51. Though I had mine built with all the bells and whistles. It's an insane EQ machine! I bought it to play on the road but it rivals my built PCs easily. Just hate the small screens on laptops.

Get an Alienware Area 51. Though I had mine built with all the bells and whistles. It's an insane EQ machine! I bought it to play on the road but it rivals my built PCs easily. Just hate the small screens on laptops.
My friend still has my Alienware laptop from 2011. It plays games just fine, but it does run hot on all games. His 7yr old plays Minecraft on it. Side perk, you could knock someone out with it if needed. Never know when you'll need to smack someone with a laptop.

Tech - Acer 5 Review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back