• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Request - A trial of Very Vanilla for EQ live by chance? (1 Viewer)

LD2390

RedCents
118¢
Disclaimer: This is my first post on any forum literally anywhere in my entire life. (I swear I'm not kidding >.<)

Hi everyone,

A streamer I was watching one day was randomly streaming a TLP server (Aradune), and watching him sparked entirely way too much nostalgia for me to ignore.
I'm a "returning player" in the aspect that when I was young I never had the chance to play EQ, but now that I'm older and have my own rig, I am.

As soon as I realized that I would be able to try and run a few accounts from my one computer, I was SOOO excited to try it.
Which I did, and immediately discovered that this would require WAY more to it than I originally thought.

That's when I discovered Very Vanilla! Initially I think I saw one of the instructional videos for operating the box chat commands that caught my eye.
Which of course just led me further into the rabbit hole of seeing EVERYTHING that Redguides has to offer w/ the resources compiled here!

Unfortunately, it took me about a week of planning characters, how I would run my station w/ those characters, before I finally looked into how one acquires Very Vanilla and realizing that majority of the resources here are locked behind a paywall.
Which to be fair, RIGHTFULLY so because holy guacamole is there a TON of incredibly helpful resources here!!

I guess my TL;DR request being..is there any form of possible free month trial that someone could partake in to see if this is right for them? The sub fee isn't unreasonable by ANY means, but sometimes we really have to consider what we allocate for entertainment sometimes >.<

I've become so ridiculously excited about finally being able to play EQ and in a form that I really think I would be able to enjoy!

Thanks in advance for any responses, tips, or just general help that may result from this.
I've seen so many responses looking through what I can see so far and the community seems incredibly welcoming and helpful.

There is no trial that I am aware of, but you can get a 1 month subscription using Red Cents. 50 Red Cents = 1 month of access to VV and other resources.
You can "react" to other people's posts which will give you 1 Red Cent each time (3-4 times per day) and other can react to your posts which will give you 10 Red Cents each time.
It is entirely possible to generate enough Red Cents each month to essentially pay for your access to Red Guides level 2 each month.

Here is my reaction to your post, hopefully a few others join in and you'll be able to purchase Level 2 access before long.
Good luck in EQ, I hope you have a blast! This forum has been a great resource for information be it Current EQ or TLP servers.

OH!

@Redbot, I was just meaning that seeing the streamer play Everquest is what peaked my interest of coming back to the game! He just so happened to be playing on that server I believe??
Sorry for the confusion there >.<
I think I'm going to play on FV possibly? That's a live server that's supported correct?
Thanks in advance!

@Slade the Magician Thank you for the response! Lord I wish I had looked into it at the beginning of all of this then! I started all of my researching like a week or so ago and very well could've been that far had I known hahaha.

Honestly I've just been reading all that I can, and have never actually written into forums before.
but seeing as I've received some responses, I'm really wanting to take part and throw some questions out there. I feel like people are seeing it and it's great!

Thanks again guys!

All I know is that I was blown away when I watched the kissassist video and even though I know absolutely NOTHING about it, it made me SUPER interested in figuring out how to make it work and make your party be able to respond accordingly to certain things.

I had been doing a ton of reading on like general social macros?? And a lot of that seems super helpful too that I can incorporate as well.

It's all just super new and intriguing and I can't wait to finally try it out at some point! I guess I can take this time to really solidify the type of comp and such that I want to go forward with.

Yeah, we support FV and any other non-truebox server. Setup can be kind of a bear, check the videos and make sure it doesn't look too complex:

Getting Started

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ addict!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting MQ2Nav, MQ2AutoLogin, and MQ2EQBC, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Here are some other quality resources to get you started:

Sic's video on using some EQBC, MQ2Nav, and Kiss /Camphere features:

Sic's Video on the RedGuide's launcher:

Here is a guide on finding a KissAssist .ini from our resource library:

@Redbot Ah hah! yes! I did in fact binge and rewatch this guide a few times already, though I know It's probably going to be watched 42+ more times in the near future haha.
I did notice the Sic's videos listed in a few places and haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Once again, more and more resources just keep flying out of this place!

Love it,
Thanks!

Unless one is morally opposed to the use of add-ons in a vidya gaem, I'd recommend to anyone playing EQ that they have MQ2 running along side it. Even if you never intend to box or go full automation, there's just too much other good stuff to *not* have MQ2 up. MQ2 is the add-on platform that SOE should have developed back in 2003 and opened it up to user created tools with official support. Many other MMOs have officially supported add-on platforms that accept user created stuff and it's not the end of the world in those games. It's just willful ignorance at this point in time for an EQ player to not use MQ2.

Anyways, good luck on your EQ journey and rest assured that any investment, time or monetary, will not be wasted.

This seems like a really silly question, but it seems that all I can do is "Like" someone's comment or post currently.

Is this because I am only at level 1? or am I just completely blind and missing something? @Redbot

Edit: and could someone point me towards any particular threads for newbies? Just curious!

Hi LD, welcome. You sound very much how I did, and I'd imagine most of the community here, whe I first learned of RedGuides safe version of MQ. I loved EQ but my playtime and abilities never lent me to have much for grouping as when EQ first came out in 99. I also preferred how single plaer games used to have your team of 6, and you controlled them all. So mix Norrath with boxing and seems soooooo much more fun to enjoy the game with my play style in it. I gave you some redcent, hope you try it out soon. I'm a very happy member here and there is a lot of very knowledgeable and technical people here that enjoy helping others.

This seems like a really silly question, but it seems that all I can do is "Like" someone's comment or post currently.

Is this because I am only at level 1? or am I just completely blind and missing something? @Redbot

Edit: and could someone point me towards any particular threads for newbies? Just curious!
:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

@Redfrog I think you hit the nail on the head. The playtime tends to be a huge restriction for me, and considering grouping is a huge part of the game, it would be night impossible. Like you said, all those games such as Baldurs gate (SOOO excited about the new one), dragon age etc. where you were controlling the whole group mixed w/ this seems like it'll be the most AMAZING experience.

I just know there's so much for me to learn though hahaha

@LD2390 I joined RG as a level 1 member for a few YEARS before I decided to go ahead and purchase a membership. I am also very reluctant to just throw cash at something until I'm sure it's a good value. Hell I will let shit sit in my amazon cart for months before I decide on buying it! Let me say this...I do not know what I was waiting for. It's worth every penny and then some. I was already a proficient 6 boxer using nothing more than WinEQ...but VV blew my socks off! I still like to micromanage my toons for the most part, but if I feel like being lazy, I can just turn my healers or casters into mercenary's to lighten the load :) You will absolutely not regret it.

Yours Truly,
Cautious Consumer

Now that you're level 2, If you're interested in what you've seen so far, you should check out some of the products available to users that while they may have a price tag, reduce the workload from the user to the developer.

Free to use. IHC macros. https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/ihcmercs-now-supporting-all-classes.1013/
IHCMercs is a suite of macros that are character specific and is being developed by the community. They are free to use as a member of redguides and can make getting going a lot easier.

My plugins - https://www.redguides.com/community/forums/cwtn-plugins.163/
If you're convinced that your love of EQ has become undying and you're looking to renew your vows, then there are some paid options available to you.
Check out the link above for the plugin that Me and Sic have developed, and are continuing to develop new classes for. The plugins are paid for once a year at $20 per class. If you want to try any of my plugins they are free to use on the test server. You could even decide to play on the test server forever and use all the plugins there forever.

If you have more questions, chances are we have more answers. Might even have videos / guides / links that we can refer you to so that you can better understand each of the paid and free resources available to you on redguides.

Is this because I am only at level 1? or am I just completely blind and missing something?

Correct, Level 1s cannot use the RedCent emote. But now that you're level 2, you can, 4x per day. (Really easy to keep your level 2 access if you stay active on the forums. Like, *really* easy.)

TBH, messing with KA and getting more out of my group is more fun to me than actually playing Everquest is. If this didn't exist, I would probably log onto EQ once every few years when the nostalgia hits, run around a couple zones, then log out and uninstall.

KA makes modern EQ playable because there aren't enough actual players or free time in the day to enjoy EQ and there's plenty of content in F2P that makes this dirt-cheap sub for the VV compile worth every cent and then some even if you don't end up subbing or buying the latest expansions in EQ.

Request - A trial of Very Vanilla for EQ live by chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back