• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Bans - A returning player's new adventures boxing. (1 Viewer)

Rock

RedCents
704¢
Hello my name is Rock and I'm a returning everquest player. I haven't played EQ since basically planes of power. You know when like EQ2 and WoW came out... I did play a little during the 13th annivesary when all the PoP gear was dropping as fabled. Well for about the last week I've been messing around trying to decide where to play, what to play and how to play. EQ has so many flavors now it's almost impossible to choose. I've never boxed a whole team before, I've messed around with some duo/trio stuff but amazing macro software like this just wasn't developed yet when I played last. After watching a couple videos I got my heart set on running an entire group and see where that get's me. I can say that the tutorials for this site are absolutely amazing. I went from never using this style of gameplay to getting all accounts set up, online, grouped up (I need to make macros to invite my group today) and leveling.

I started in the mines, in retrospect this was likely a mistake, I just love that you come out with a full set of starter gear so this was the patch I chose. After much fumbling around and learning about things like the advanced loot window (I had never grouped before this one was a shocker) I managed to complete all the quests and level my team to 10. This morning I took the time to update the team's ini files for level 10 and purchased their spells. I have a ton of learning to do still but I'm having a blast so far. I need to do a little digging today about setting group roles, I don't think they know my one toon is the tank. Also having an issue where if I have the group on follow me, they all run their scripts on my target but if I leave them sitting somewhere and fight, they don't attack. I'll figure it out.

Anyways thanks for the great macro system, I'm thoroughly enjoying playing the game right now. My plan is to upgrade my thread with my progress so I can track how long this process takes me to max out and what hurdles I had to overcome. Thanks for all your hard work.

Hello my name is Rock and I'm a returning everquest player. I haven't played EQ since basically planes of power. You know when like EQ2 and WoW came out... I did play a little during the 13th annivesary when all the PoP gear was dropping as fabled. Well for about the last week I've been messing around trying to decide where to play, what to play and how to play. EQ has so many flavors now it's almost impossible to choose. I've never boxed a whole team before, I've messed around with some duo/trio stuff but amazing macro software like this just wasn't developed yet when I played last. After watching a couple videos I got my heart set on running an entire group and see where that get's me. I can say that the tutorials for this site are absolutely amazing. I went from never using this style of gameplay to getting all accounts set up, online, grouped up (I need to make macros to invite my group today) and leveling.

I started in the mines, in retrospect this was likely a mistake, I just love that you come out with a full set of starter gear so this was the patch I chose. After much fumbling around and learning about things like the advanced loot window (I had never grouped before this one was a shocker) I managed to complete all the quests and level my team to 10. This morning I took the time to update the team's ini files for level 10 and purchased their spells. I have a ton of learning to do still but I'm having a blast so far. I need to do a little digging today about setting group roles, I don't think they know my one toon is the tank. Also having an issue where if I have the group on follow me, they all run their scripts on my target but if I leave them sitting somewhere and fight, they don't attack. I'll figure it out.

Anyways thanks for the great macro system, I'm thoroughly enjoying playing the game right now. My plan is to upgrade my thread with my progress so I can track how long this process takes me to max out and what hurdles I had to overcome. Thanks for all your hard work.

Welcome back to the game! Once you get things all set up with MQ, you'll be neck deep in the fun like the rest of us!!

WB Rock!

WB Rock! I don’t think you did anything wrong by doing the mines. Lots of things have changed since PoP and the tutorial (although clunky) is actually not half bad. when leaving the tutorial, your characters will be dropped into Crescent Reach. This is the new default starting city for all classes and races. Click the EQ icon on your screen and click Chracter Advancement (name could be slightly different as I am not at my PC to confirm). Clicking this is will bring up a list of quests separated by expansion. You want to look at Hero’s Journey I’m the Serpent Spine expansion. This quest line will take you into your 80s. It’s an excellent way to get yourself reacclimated to the game and give you a general sense of direction and purpose.

best of luck and never hesitate to post questions and progress reports!

Hell yea @Branson24 appreciate the feedback. I haven't looked into the Hero's Adventure at all yet. I've just been grinding on hill sides so far. I'll have to check it out. Running a team of 6 I would think questing is the last thing I want to do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Hell yea @Branson24 appreciate the feedback. I haven't looked into the Hero's Adventure at all yet. I've just been grinding on hill sides so far. I'll have to check it out. Running a team of 6 I would think questing is the last thing I want to do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
It’s definitely an pain in the ass doing the entire line for all 6 toons. You could always just do them on your tank as gear for him is the most important. Then just use the defiant you find on the other toons, Joining s guild that is ok with you boxing is a plus too. Their guild banks usually have a lot of defiant you can use which will help as well. Just replace it as you loot stuff you don’t need.

What server did you end up playing on if you don't mind me asking? I go back and forth between TLP, and EMU servers, sometimes playing both at once. Personally, I'm a big fan of 1 group boxing so I've been looking into Project Lazarus. I tried Hidden Forest, but I started to find myself disliking that most people I came across were boxing teams of 24 to push content. I'll always love Everquest and play it in one form or another, but I have yet to strike gold as I have always been stuck between Live, TLPs, and EMU servers to find the experience that was just right. Curious to hear what works for you. :)

@Raezious I chose to play on a live server. My though was I'd like to get to max level and see some of the sights that I have never had the chance to experience before. I figured leveling would get me reacquainted with the game and then I could decide if I want to make some toons on a TLP from there. The current fresh TLP's are in Luclin, I've played through Planes as my main game before and I'm definitely interested in playing through the other expansions that I haven't played before so this might be my path in the end. You need to all access for these servers which is doable for an account for me, but investing 720$ to run a team for a year on rizlona is likely out of the budget for me. So yea I'm on live while I discover what I like in this game or what my goals are and where I want to play. So far I'm hooked like a crazy though.

@Raezious I chose to play on a live server. My though was I'd like to get to max level and see some of the sights that I have never had the chance to experience before. I figured leveling would get me reacquainted with the game and then I could decide if I want to make some toons on a TLP from there. The current fresh TLP's are in Luclin, I've played through Planes as my main game before and I'm definitely interested in playing through the other expansions that I haven't played before so this might be my path in the end. You need to all access for these servers which is doable for an account for me, but investing 720$ to run a team for a year on rizlona is likely out of the budget for me. So yea I'm on live while I discover what I like in this game or what my goals are and where I want to play. So far I'm hooked like a crazy though.
You make some really great points. I have spent WAY too much money just to get a few toons up to speed on Aradune. I really do want to pick up Live again and give it a go since I feel like I haven't been fair to it in the past. Plus it is pretty awesome how many zones I haven't even touched past Prophecy of Ro. As soon as Aradune starts to flicker out I might have to pack my bags and try live if I don't get comfy on the EMU servers I'm trying out.

Im reactivating soon after a break similar to yours (I came back last year and found out about this site at the time!), after struggling to max level this site and its tools is without a doubt the best thing I have ever experianced while playing EQ, it is incredible and unlocked so much fun for me and I can't thank the creators of the macros and plugins enough!

i have been thinking about doing the same - how is Riz working out for everyone?

its been a while since i used MQ2 however, it looks like leaps and bounds have been made with KISS!

Hello everyone, time for a little update on my progression.

I have to say for the first week I spent as much time setting up reading and learning as I did playing. I got the first team to 54 while I tested and tweaked the plugins to make things all work a little better. Sic is pretty much family now as he's become a permanent fixture on one of my monitors as I try to soak in all the invaluable information. I couldn't imagine how this process would of gone without his YouTube channel. My original team [WAR] [ENC] [CLR] [WIZ] [MAGE] [DRU] is a lot of fun to play once I figured out how to play to their strengths. The team was built with idea of I wanted to play an Enchanter at max level. This decision was made before I discovered this community. The team then grew from there, but my focus was on team synergy just for leveling or maybe grinding AA's at max. To be fair, I have no idea what the game is about at max level in current eq. Down the rabbit hole I go and the deeper I get the more I dig it. This place, this community is amazing. Although I did decide to 'main' and enchanter when I came back to EQ in every mmo I play, I tank. The only reason I didn't choose to main a tank in eq is because, well needs group, always needs group. Now my game has evolved to playing a tank while leading a group, my group. This couldn't be any better. I love it, find a camp, set the boys up, head off and pull. I guess this is the point where I realized I wasn't building my team with the right goals. I need to chose a team based on this style of gameplay. After watching enough YT's I had to try out Sic's team build and fired up my second team [SK] [BRD] [SHM] [BER] [BER] [BST] and took to the streets. This team leveled much faster then the first team, not because of the team make up but rather my knowledge and experience had gone up and I knew exactly where I was going what I doing.

I expected a lot less downtime on team 2. I leveled the first team with Kiss until level 50. The setup was pretty basic, I didn't even know the value of a the camp command as all my backup characters were casters and healers. As long as I remembered to turn off follow me or hit come to me before I headed out to pull, they sat still and did their part. With the caster team I would run around with the warrior and pick 8 to 10 dark blue mobs and then stand directly on top of my casters as they went to town. The enchanter (kiss) would aoe stun, mez, slow, the wiz dru mag would nuke. The cleric would tank, well I would tank but with 12 mobs when she starts healing I can't turn em all to 100 hate fast enough. Now all this is before I understood how to get more out of my warrior by enabling different modes. At this point my warrior was always in manual, I didn't even know kiss had modes. After all that fun, now comes the downtime. I'd get about 4 pulls before I'd have to sit on my hands and wait for all the finger wigglers to med up. This style gets me to like upper 40's where by this point I've seen so many CWTN plugin videos I'm going mad wanting to try one out for myself. It eventually dawns on me that the enchanter plugin is still in beta and useable by everyone with the build so I load it up. This was the missing piece my team needed, the chanter would include pet charming now and add to the damage. This helps a lot when the team get's low on mana and there's one or two mobs to finish up. So I guess what I was looking forward to the most about trialing the second group, was less downtime to med up.

This wasn't really the case though, as I leveled up the SHD and SHM mana started to really slow the team down. I started running the enchanter from the first team out to constantly keep clarity and haste on the team to keep my downtime to a minimum. The style is hella fun, I love the sk tank. I originally chose WAR because I read a lot of articles of how much simpler a warrior is to play especially when you're multi-boxing. Since that is no longer a concern (<3 redguides) I have to say I really prefer the SK, the spells, the pets, the feign, all of it. BER BER BST is a great dps comp, the boys pump and I hear nothing but good things about how they perform at the top. SHM is dope but feels really weak at this point in the game. When team 2 got to level 45 I decided I liked them all enough that I went ahead and picked up CWTN plugins for the team MQ2Eskay, MQ2Shaman, MQ2Berserker, and MQ2Bst! I have to say these plugins are insanely good, mq2 feel incomplete without them. At 50 I took the team to Skyfire Mountains, set camp and started checking for hall passes. I only had 2 real problems, MANA, and a level 60 guardian wyrm that would sneak into my camp once and awhile and oh yea, he summons when you run for it! This is actually the next big hole I have to fill in my setup, I don't have and escape planned for this team. On the caster team I made a macro for evac and another for eagress and if I had to bounce, the macro piles everyone up and we dip out. Currently when my driver dies I'm pretty much pooched, I need to make some driver macros for my other toons so I can try to salvage bad situations.

So both teams are now sitting at 54 and I'm trying to figure out what team I want to move forward with from here. The shaman at this level just isn't cut out for this life, he's always, always oom trying to keep up and when shit hit's the fan he can't even rez yet. Big oof. He's running on MQ2Shaman, he's definitely trying to do too much. I ran him mostly on the default settings at first. I find him not keeping up so I've gone through and turned off everything that made sense. He's set now to heal, haste, slow and the puma line, no nukes no dots no malo no regen, Ill let the bst buff and share the load for now. My knowledge of bard is severely lacking. I need to learn more about the class and the plugins like mqtwist it uses to get more out of the class. When it bugs out (like constantly sits as it to mem a spell but then doesn't over and over again) or how to set him into med mode to play the mana regen song over his other choices.

So I'm thinking about making some changes to the roster as I level through this next era of eq. I'm thinking of running [SHD] [ENC] [BER] [BER] [BST] [SHM] and see how the shaman's mana holds up or swapping the [SHM] for the [CLR]. Maybe even dropping the [SHD] for the [WAR]. I find the shd is more fun to play with all the spell animations and the pet but a warrior would never have to med. As long as the SHD mana bar isn't the hold up for the group I would prefer to go this route for sure.

You guys tell me, what do you think about the group comps? What's your main team comp?

Well this post got away from me... I'll try to keep the updates a little shorter

TDLR: I'm super excited, completely immersed, and grateful I found this community and gaming experience! pce

WB to eq man. It was great to see a post like this as I am in the same boat as you. Sitting here planning on my leveling and what will it be. Great to see your insight!

Hello everyone, time for a little update on my progression.

I have to say for the first week I spent as much time setting up reading and learning as I did playing. I got the first team to 54 while I tested and tweaked the plugins to make things all work a little better. Sic is pretty much family now as he's become a permanent fixture on one of my monitors as I try to soak in all the invaluable information. I couldn't imagine how this process would of gone without his YouTube channel. My original team [WAR] [ENC] [CLR] [WIZ] [MAGE] [DRU] is a lot of fun to play once I figured out how to play to their strengths. The team was built with idea of I wanted to play an Enchanter at max level. This decision was made before I discovered this community. The team then grew from there, but my focus was on team synergy just for leveling or maybe grinding AA's at max. To be fair, I have no idea what the game is about at max level in current eq. Down the rabbit hole I go and the deeper I get the more I dig it. This place, this community is amazing. Although I did decide to 'main' and enchanter when I came back to EQ in every mmo I play, I tank. The only reason I didn't choose to main a tank in eq is because, well needs group, always needs group. Now my game has evolved to playing a tank while leading a group, my group. This couldn't be any better. I love it, find a camp, set the boys up, head off and pull. I guess this is the point where I realized I wasn't building my team with the right goals. I need to chose a team based on this style of gameplay. After watching enough YT's I had to try out Sic's team build and fired up my second team [SK] [BRD] [SHM] [BER] [BER] [BST] and took to the streets. This team leveled much faster then the first team, not because of the team make up but rather my knowledge and experience had gone up and I knew exactly where I was going what I doing.

I expected a lot less downtime on team 2. I leveled the first team with Kiss until level 50. The setup was pretty basic, I didn't even know the value of a the camp command as all my backup characters were casters and healers. As long as I remembered to turn off follow me or hit come to me before I headed out to pull, they sat still and did their part. With the caster team I would run around with the warrior and pick 8 to 10 dark blue mobs and then stand directly on top of my casters as they went to town. The enchanter (kiss) would aoe stun, mez, slow, the wiz dru mag would nuke. The cleric would tank, well I would tank but with 12 mobs when she starts healing I can't turn em all to 100 hate fast enough. Now all this is before I understood how to get more out of my warrior by enabling different modes. At this point my warrior was always in manual, I didn't even know kiss had modes. After all that fun, now comes the downtime. I'd get about 4 pulls before I'd have to sit on my hands and wait for all the finger wigglers to med up. This style gets me to like upper 40's where by this point I've seen so many CWTN plugin videos I'm going mad wanting to try one out for myself. It eventually dawns on me that the enchanter plugin is still in beta and useable by everyone with the build so I load it up. This was the missing piece my team needed, the chanter would include pet charming now and add to the damage. This helps a lot when the team get's low on mana and there's one or two mobs to finish up. So I guess what I was looking forward to the most about trialing the second group, was less downtime to med up.

This wasn't really the case though, as I leveled up the SHD and SHM mana started to really slow the team down. I started running the enchanter from the first team out to constantly keep clarity and haste on the team to keep my downtime to a minimum. The style is hella fun, I love the sk tank. I originally chose WAR because I read a lot of articles of how much simpler a warrior is to play especially when you're multi-boxing. Since that is no longer a concern (<3 redguides) I have to say I really prefer the SK, the spells, the pets, the feign, all of it. BER BER BST is a great dps comp, the boys pump and I hear nothing but good things about how they perform at the top. SHM is dope but feels really weak at this point in the game. When team 2 got to level 45 I decided I liked them all enough that I went ahead and picked up CWTN plugins for the team MQ2Eskay, MQ2Shaman, MQ2Berserker, and MQ2Bst! I have to say these plugins are insanely good, mq2 feel incomplete without them. At 50 I took the team to Skyfire Mountains, set camp and started checking for hall passes. I only had 2 real problems, MANA, and a level 60 guardian wyrm that would sneak into my camp once and awhile and oh yea, he summons when you run for it! This is actually the next big hole I have to fill in my setup, I don't have and escape planned for this team. On the caster team I made a macro for evac and another for eagress and if I had to bounce, the macro piles everyone up and we dip out. Currently when my driver dies I'm pretty much pooched, I need to make some driver macros for my other toons so I can try to salvage bad situations.

So both teams are now sitting at 54 and I'm trying to figure out what team I want to move forward with from here. The shaman at this level just isn't cut out for this life, he's always, always oom trying to keep up and when shit hit's the fan he can't even rez yet. Big oof. He's running on MQ2Shaman, he's definitely trying to do too much. I ran him mostly on the default settings at first. I find him not keeping up so I've gone through and turned off everything that made sense. He's set now to heal, haste, slow and the puma line, no nukes no dots no malo no regen, Ill let the bst buff and share the load for now. My knowledge of bard is severely lacking. I need to learn more about the class and the plugins like mqtwist it uses to get more out of the class. When it bugs out (like constantly sits as it to mem a spell but then doesn't over and over again) or how to set him into med mode to play the mana regen song over his other choices.

So I'm thinking about making some changes to the roster as I level through this next era of eq. I'm thinking of running [SHD] [ENC] [BER] [BER] [BST] [SHM] and see how the shaman's mana holds up or swapping the [SHM] for the [CLR]. Maybe even dropping the [SHD] for the [WAR]. I find the shd is more fun to play with all the spell animations and the pet but a warrior would never have to med. As long as the SHD mana bar isn't the hold up for the group I would prefer to go this route for sure.

You guys tell me, what do you think about the group comps? What's your main team comp?

Well this post got away from me... I'll try to keep the updates a little shorter

TDLR: I'm super excited, completely immersed, and grateful I found this community and gaming experience! pce
The game changes very significantly later on.

in the levels you're at, shaman aren't really super great at solo healing - and that doesn't significantly change until you get into somewhere in the 80s+

in "modern" game, shaman can solo heal just fine.

this is the same with endurance on a lot of toons - once you get to the "breather" line is much easier for toons that use regen to keep up.

Hey Rock.

Nice update! Taking it slow with no rush to endgame is how I roll as well. there is just so much content I never experienced. My team is all 72 and I do Ok. I love shamans but I new I would need a lot of rezzes so I went cleric. I plan on keeping him until around 85 or so when I can run Old Man Mackenzie tasks. At that time I’ll switch to shammy and get him a Rez stick. Other than that, keep the updates rolling and enjoy!

Bans - A returning player's new adventures boxing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back