• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - 6 Box caster group (1 Viewer)

Nemoon

RedCents
92¢
Hello just like some input on my caster group setup what would be best for me when my lower lvl characters gets same lvl as the rest of the group.
4 I know i wanna keep in my setup is

1-Shadowknight 114
2-Enchanter 114
3-Mage 113
4-Mage 111

5-Cleric 111 or Wizard 98 or Druid 85
6-Shaman 113 or Druid 85 or Wizard or Beastlord 85

Shaman or bestlord in one spot to get adps for pets and sk i think would be good? Or just a pure wizard for dps and cleric in on spot for heals.
Or shaman and Druid in 6 spot so on harder mobs i get 2 healer and more easy mobs druid can dps. I got Shaman in one spot and Cleric in one befor
so healing is always top notch and shaman dots do good dps when then get time to ramp up on harder mobs but more easy mobs shaman dont do so good dps.
1 healer and a wizard would be best dps for the group i quess, but my tank does not have best gear and not so many AA so gets hard do keep him up on harder mobs sometimes
with only one healer in group.

I hope my toughs makes seens here for someone thats read this -:) Just wants some input and im not max lvl and low on AA so i dont know how it will work on max lvl.

//Nemmon

Yes that would be one possibility too, even more pets but how is beastlords healing on higher lvl? would he be able to patch heal to help my shaman with heals on tougher mobs?

I taking down CoV named mobs no issue with only a shaman healing. They don’t really need that much help. I am right now SK/brd/sun/mag/zerk/bst. It’s a great group and the shammy has no issues keeping us alive even on CoV missions.

Edit: the beastlord is brand new and the shaman was handling things just fine even before I added the beastlord.

Hello just like some input on my caster group setup what would be best for me when my lower lvl characters gets same lvl as the rest of the group.

1-Shadowknight 114
2-Enchanter 114
3-Mage 113
4-Mage 111

Shaman or bestlord in one spot to get adps for pets and sk i think would be good? Or just a pure wizard for dps and cleric in on spot for heals.
Or shaman and Druid in 6 spot so on harder mobs i get 2 healer and more easy mobs druid can dps. I got Shaman in one spot and Cleric in one befor
so healing is always top notch and shaman dots do good dps when then get time to ramp up on harder mobs but more easy mobs shaman dont do so good dps.
1 healer and a wizard would be best dps for the group i quess, but my tank does not have best gear and not so many AA so gets hard do keep him up on harder mobs sometimes

I hope my toughs makes seens here for someone thats read this -:) Just wants some input and im not max lvl and low on AA so i dont know how it will work on max lvl.

//Nemmon

Sk, 3x mage, enc, cleric...game over eq :).

Note: keep your mages, enchanter, cleric in the best non-prestige gear you can find and you'll always have top-tier group and only have to pay for tank after you max their aa's.

Ty for inputs i think i will play around and try to lvl with both alternatives shm and bst or Shm/Cleric and Druid.

Yea 3x mage is too possible but alittle more fun to have some other different character i think.

I'm able to do all ToV with the following Caster Group:

Tank: Paladin or SK (depends on my mood)
Healing: Cleric
Crowd Control: Enchanter
DPS: Mage
DPS: Wizard
DPS: Necromancer or Druid (normally a necro but I like to take my druid out now and again)

You could even do Shaman and Druid, I don't think you can go wrong, but I think I would prefer Cleric, Wizard in that grp Just because of personal preference.

Whatever you choose - as long as you have fun doing it you are winning EQ.

Most of the TOV/COV stuff is pretty easy in comparison to the older expansions - so you will have no issues with grp capability.

Looks like you got a lot of great feedback already. Just to add, you might not need the CLR if you go with the SHM. That would allow you to add the WIZ for DPS, or a BST (or another MAG) for pets. I'm partial for MAGs because they're awesome. :P

Hello mates.

I rescue this post because the title is the most appropriate for my question. Now I'm playing with a group consisting of: SK-Sha-bard-ber-ber-ber. It's a gold group, and they all have maximum aas. I had started to prepare it to pass it to f2p, and I was equipping everyone with non-prestige equipment, except the sk that I want to have gold as you recommend. But today I read in another post, that melee teams have more chances of being discovered when they are automated.

So I'm thinking of preparing another team of casters. I would like you to advise me on some points. Depending on my characters and accounts, I could make these combinations: SK-Cler-Chan-Mag or on the other hand: SK-Sham-Wiz-Mag. In the other two boxes I would have to upload characters again, since I only have Ber in those accounts.

In the case of the SK-Cler-Chan-Mag, I had another Mag and a Wiz in mind (because of the ports and the exodus) but I see that many recommend a Beast instead of the Wiz. Why is this?

In the case of the SK-Sha-Wiz-Mag, think of a Chan and a Mag. Would the heals from the Sham be enough? Do you see these configurations well? I would like you to give me your opinion on everything.

Thank you very much and greetings to all.

With sk/shm/wiz/mag I would add enc and bst. Shm can handle heals post 100 and you will need with brd or enc for cc with this gouop since casters are more squishy than your melee group. Enc will add nice adps as well.

I did note you indicated this partially to avoid problems with your melee group being detected but if you use the same accounts, computer, or internet connection your not likely preserving your melee group from suspension/ banning. Most posts here seem to indicate dpg can see any of the three and if a caster gets caught and suspended, you lose the melee toon on that account as well. You would all new accounts on a new system with a new internet connection to keep them separate.

For what it's worth, I run sk/shm/enc/mag/wiz/dru and we have zero issues with all ToL content including missions. Have not tried NoS yet as I don't have the xpac but I don't forsee issues there either. Granted, they are all gold though and that makes a difference with gear on the casters.

Plan to swap the dru for a bst in the near future just to see how the group dynamics change. Dru almost maxed, so time to stop being lazy I suppose.

I would keep SK Shm Brd as that is a solid core that can handle pretty much anything as it has tank heals CC debuffs and solid adps. With that trio, the other classes can be any combination of dps classes you want and you will be fine. I have run different variations of the following casters in addition to my tank heal CC trio:

3x mages - pets galore, awesome dps even when silver.

mage nec wiz - get ports, great dps, and solid mix of sustain dps for mobs with large HP pools and burst dps for quick kills.

mage nec bst - again pets galore, good dps and endless mana with bst and necro in group.

mage wiz enc - little less overall dps, but much better CC and higher potential on burns.

bst nec enc - probably 3 best classes for mana regen, not as much dps as some of the other combos but you never have to worry about mana. Honestly, it's overkill for mana, even with 3 mages I never had to stop killing for mana.

TLDR: if you keep SK Shm Brd, the other 3 classes can be whatever and you'll be fine. Yes, you can have a bard and enchanter in the same group and they complement each other well. I might be a bit biased as I refuse to field any group that doesn't have a bard lol, so take that for what it's worth.

With sk/shm/wiz/mag I would add enc and bst. Shm can handle heals post 100 and you will need with brd or enc for cc with this gouop since casters are more squishy than your melee group. Enc will add nice adps as well.

I did note you indicated this partially to avoid problems with your melee group being detected but if you use the same accounts, computer, or internet connection your not likely preserving your melee group from suspension/ banning. Most posts here seem to indicate dpg can see any of the three and if a caster gets caught and suspended, you lose the melee toon on that account as well. You would all new accounts on a new system with a new internet connection to keep them separate.

For what it's worth, I run sk/shm/enc/mag/wiz/dru and we have zero issues with all ToL content including missions. Have not tried NoS yet as I don't have the xpac but I don't forsee issues there either. Granted, they are all gold though and that makes a difference with gear on the casters.

Plan to swap the dru for a bst in the near future just to see how the group dynamics change. Dru almost maxed, so time to stop being lazy I suppose.
I only have 6 accounts with several characters in each of them, my economy is not enough to make as many others.

And I also don't think I was able to start over 6 characters up to max level and aas and everything that goes with it. The truth is that I didn't think it would be that easy to get your accounts suspended.

So with a caster group it's much more difficult to get banned?

If they did, are they permanent suspensions and you lose all the work of so many years?

Is it more difficult to get banned if your accounts are gold?

I would keep SK Shm Brd as that is a solid core that can handle pretty much anything as it has tank heals CC debuffs and solid adps. With that trio, the other classes can be any combination of dps classes you want and you will be fine. I have run different variations of the following casters in addition to my tank heal CC trio:

3x mages - pets galore, awesome dps even when silver.

mage nec wiz - get ports, great dps, and solid mix of sustain dps for mobs with large HP pools and burst dps for quick kills.

mage nec bst - again pets galore, good dps and endless mana with bst and necro in group.

mage wiz enc - little less overall dps, but much better CC and higher potential on burns.

bst nec enc - probably 3 best classes for mana regen, not as much dps as some of the other combos but you never have to worry about mana. Honestly, it's overkill for mana, even with 3 mages I never had to stop killing for mana.

TLDR: if you keep SK Shm Brd, the other 3 classes can be whatever and you'll be fine. Yes, you can have a bard and enchanter in the same group and they complement each other well. I might be a bit biased as I refuse to field any group that doesn't have a bard lol, so take that for what it's worth.
I also really like bards. But they do melee, and I was looking for a group where only sk would melee, to be less detectable. Thanks for giving me so many combinations for the other three boxes.

I only have 6 accounts with several characters in each of them, my economy is not enough to make as many others.

And I also don't think I was able to start over 6 characters up to max level and aas and everything that goes with it. The truth is that I didn't think it would be that easy to get your accounts suspended.

If they did, are they permanent suspensions and you lose all the work of so many years?

1) If you're using any third-party software and DBG decides to take action, it doesn't matter whether you're running melee or caster, whether you've been around since 1999 or are brand new, gold or not. DBG will take action regardless (if they feel like it).
2) I'm guessing what you've heard is that melee groups are more noticeable *by other players,* which can lead to a lot of unwanted attention. It's a lot more conspicuous to have 3 or 4 toons all run up and start stabbing the mob compared to 3 or 4 casters sitting down slinging spells. One of the biggest problems when running MQ is keeping under the radar. It's *so easy* to draw unwanted attention if you're not careful (ask me how I know). Caster groups are visually less interesting because they're just sitting on their horses casting spells and are therefore less likely to be seen actively using automations than a melee group would be.

No, DPG does not care what type of account, group, or character you have. Using automation is a suspendable/bannable offense, period. I was merely pointing out that if you create a few new characters on your existing accounts, you would lose all toons on that account if it were suspended/banned so making a caster group is not a shield of any sort. New accounts, new computer and new internet and never mixing the casters with the melee group is the only way to TRY and keep them separate.

No, DPG does not care what type of account, group, or character you have. Using automation is a suspendable/bannable offense, period. I was merely pointing out that if you create a few new characters on your existing accounts, you would lose all toons on that account if it were suspended/banned so making a caster group is not a shield of any sort. New accounts, new computer and new internet and never mixing the casters with the melee group is the only way to TRY and keep them separate.
Gonna end up in Fippys if not care folks :sweat: make what you want! heard 6 clerics is all the rage...

1) If you're using any third-party software and DBG decides to take action, it doesn't matter whether you're running melee or caster, whether you've been around since 1999 or are brand new, gold or not. DBG will take action regardless (if they feel like it).
2) I'm guessing what you've heard is that melee groups are more noticeable *by other players,* which can lead to a lot of unwanted attention. It's a lot more conspicuous to have 3 or 4 toons all run up and start stabbing the mob compared to 3 or 4 casters sitting down slinging spells. One of the biggest problems when running MQ is keeping under the radar. It's *so easy* to draw unwanted attention if you're not careful (ask me how I know). Caster groups are visually less interesting because they're just sitting on their horses casting spells and are therefore less likely to be seen actively using automations than a melee group would be.
Ok, now I understand perfectly.
The translator does not translate some posts well for me.
My last doubts are these:
Are the suspensions permanent?
Should I have the casters stand still and draw the mobs towards them so it doesn't show so much? If I go with them killing on the move as with the melee group, would it be just as suspicious?

Ok, now I understand perfectly.
The translator does not translate some posts well for me.
My last doubts are these:
Are the suspensions permanent?
Should I have the casters stand still and buff the mobs towards them so it doesn't show so much? If I go with them killing on the move as with the melee group, would it be just as suspicious?
DBG has given out temporary and permanent suspensions. There's really no way to predict which it will be.
I can't say what you "should do" to avoid attention other than to say, think about what a normal group does and try to replicate that as best as you can. If you can't, then try to be in zones with nobody else in them.

Going back to the topic of the thread, I have the group almost decided in the absence of the healer's doubt: Sk-Sham/Cler-Ench-Mag-Mag-Wiz
Do you think this group has good synergy?
What healer would be more appropriate for this group?

IMO, SHM for
Going back to the topic of the thread, I have the group almost decided in the absence of the healer's doubt: Sk-Sham/Cler-Ench-Mag-Mag-Wiz
Do you think this group has good synergy?
What healer would be more appropriate for this group?
buffs, debuffs and can heal just fine over level 100 since the SK can almost keep himself up under most circumstances.

My personal recommendation of your 6 box crew should be the following.

Shadowknight

The SK is your big, burly friend who is always there to protect you. They can take a lot of damage and dish out some serious pain. They're also really good at crowd control, which is essential for keeping your group alive in dangerous situations. 💪

Enchanter

The Ench is your magical support friend. They can buff your other characters, debuff your enemies, and even summon pets to help you fight. They're also really good at crowd control, which makes them a valuable asset to any group. ✨

Mage x2

The Mage is your ranged damage-dealer friend. They have a wide variety of spells that can deal a lot of damage to your enemies. They're also really good at crowd control, which makes them a valuable asset to any group. Personally I would use two "Water Pets" and position both behind the mobs them for backstab. 💥

Wizard

The Wiz is your second ranged damage-dealer friend. They have a wide variety of spells that can deal a lot of damage to your enemies. They're also really good at crowd control, which makes them a valuable asset to any group. 💥

Druid

The Druid is your healer friend. They can heal your other characters, buff them, and even summon pets to help you fight. They're also really good at crowd control, which makes them a valuable asset to any group. 🧙‍♀️

Why the Druid over Shaman or Cleric?

The Druid is a very versatile "Offensive" priest that can fill multiple roles in your group. They can heal, buff, and crowd control, which makes them a very valuable asset, also there ADPS is massive for this group make-up. Also with the Shadow Knight as the MT the SK provides tons of self sustainability with "Life Taps". Also if a difficult encounter is upon the Shadow Knight, the Enchanter could also cast "Runes" to help keep the Shadow Knight alive. Making the Druid's healing reasonability's not as intensive if they had to heal a tank like a traditional Warrior. The Shaman and Cleric are both better at the healing role, but they don't have the same offensive versatility as the Druid, while the Shaman is more of a defensive aspect in there versatility. In my personal opinion, unless you are healing a Warrior or doing raid content Cleric healing is a bit over powered in modern group content, with a Shadow Knight as the MT. So you are missing out on opportunities to do additional DPS if choosing a Cleric.

Day Break Game's anti-cheat policy

Day Break Games does have an anti-cheat policy in place. However, they are not very strict about it. As long as you are not caught using any third-party software to cheat, you should be fine. Just be mindful of other players and you should be fine.

My "Golden Rule"

My "Golden Rule" is to always be at the PC when using macros. If you ever step away, make sure to /macend or /unload. Even audio triggers when away are not always safe. It is also a good idea to avoid any zones with anyone else when using macros. This will help to avoid any potential problems with Day Break Games' anti-cheat policy.

I hope this helps ^_^
Linku aka Ruby Rose <3

Last edited:
SK - SHM - ENC - MAG - MAG - BRD/NEC/WIZ

Adding a necro makes that group nearly unkillable at a certain point, and faster named kills. Not the best for pure grinding.
Bard will add the most DPS to the group, for faster kills.
Wiz will be the class you wonder why did i add this class at a certain point, i had better options.

SK - SHM - ENC - MAG - MAG - BRD/NEC/WIZ

Adding a necro makes that group nearly unkillable at a certain point, and faster named kills. Not the best for pure grinding.
Bard will add the most DPS to the group, for faster kills.
Wiz will be the class you wonder why did i add this class at a certain point, i had better options.
If I put a bard or a necro in the last box, instead of two heroic characters, I would have to get three.
My accounts are like this right now. Account
1: SK 120 max aas / Necro 117
2: Cler 120 max aas / Druid 120 / Wizard 115 / Ber 120
3: Sham 120 max aas / Chanter 115
4: Bard 120 max aas / Mage 120
5: Ber 120 max aas
6 : Ber 120 max aas.
From the first I wanted to take the SK, from the second the Wiz, from the third the Sham, from the 4 the Mage and in the 5 and 6 heroic character 100.

Rule #1 - 1 character per account
Rule #2 - obey rule number 1

Valid exceptions being
xx DPS (pick n mix) - BER / MAG or ROG / NEC or
xx CC - BRD / ENC

So I’d -
1) level the 117 necro to 120, so if were running the caster group as pure DPS, you’d sit the SK and load necro
2) use the DRU
3) use the ENC
4) use the BRD
5) heroic a mage on BER #1 account
6) heroic a wizard on BER #2

Last edited:
That's what I try, but I can't decide on the composition of it 🤣
I would like to have a wiz or druid because I feel safer with the exodus, but I see that hardly anyone recommends these two chars as dps.
It seems that the Nec, the mage and the Beast is the favorite of many in the casting groups.
In the tank there is less discussion, most prefer SK, it suits me because I don't have another tank.
As a healer it seems that people prefer the Sham, although there are many who prefer the Cler as well.
As CC the Ench seems to be better, but the bard has many other good things too.
I can not decide 😂

I recently started my own group with casters for much the same reasons you mentioned. I am running SK/CLR/ENC/MAG/NEC/WIZ. right now they are a mix of 115 and 116. I have loved wizards since like 2000 when I started playing. However, I already want to replace mine. My wiz has 46K aa and my mag 38k aa; typically my mag is out damaging my wiz on 20s encounters. My wiz does come out on top sometimes but its not that often, I'm running both on RGMercs. On longer fights my necro will come out on top but grinding or trash its my mag winning the dps race. In fact I just had a 24s encounter where my MAG did 5M damage and my WIZ did 4M damage. That's pretty normal minus any crazy procs.
I love having an enchanter, its great for all the reasons that an enchanter is great.
The wiz is mainly used for misc. traveling. I will use her to TL my SK to bind; Ill use her to evac to a location for convince of travel, assuming its closer to where I want to go. I haven't gotten into a situation where I actually need to evac; ill set up a fellowship camp and if I happen to wipe I can port back and my NEC/ENC can do a CR for me.
At one time I was duo boxing with my necro and a bard for just melody. I do miss having double invis from time to time; and you could run the bard like that if you really wanted to but you would lose out on a lot.
I do agree with the other poster above that CLR healing is a bit overkill with an SK. I chose CLR for that very reason since this is my first box group and I wanted to be extra safe but I do think that SHM/DRU would be a good option for your group. That said I've never had a DRU but I've read their ADPS is really nice. I'm not sure about their healing these days.

My vote is SK/SHM or Druid/ENC/NEC/MAG/MAG for a full ranged group.

Well, first of all thank you all very much for your opinions.
I'm going to do the SK-Shm-Ench-Mag-Mag-Wiz group.
The Wiz because I already have it, with time I will change it for a Nec or a Beast.
In the Wiz account I already have 4 characters, as my intention is for it to be a silver account and they only leave space for 4 characters.
Can you choose the 4 that you want to be active?
If this is so, how?

Well, first of all thank you all very much for your opinions.
I'm going to do the SK-Shm-Ench-Mag-Mag-Wiz group.
The Wiz because I already have it, with time I will change it for a Nec or a Beast.
In the Wiz account I already have 4 characters, as my intention is for it to be a silver account and they only leave space for 4 characters.
Can you choose the 4 that you want to be active?
If this is so, how?
you still have all chars on the account avaliable

Yes, they are still in the account, but I remember a while ago that in an account that had 6 characters, only 4 were available to log in, the other two were gray and I couldn't select them.
That's why I was asking if it's possible to decide that 4 characters remain active or is it DBG who decides when it goes from gold to silver.

Yes, they are still in the account, but I remember a while ago that in an account that had 6 characters, only 4 were available to log in, the other two were gray and I couldn't select them.
That's why I was asking if it's possible to decide that 4 characters remain active or is it DBG who decides when it goes from gold to silver.
nah

Hiya Folks!

Im stuck deciding between 2 groups. My goal is really only group content, not planning on doing any raiding with my group.. Here are my two groups, which one will go farther / do better in terms of group content?

Group 1: Melee - WAR SHM BRD MNK RNG ROG
Group 2: Caster - WAR SHM BRD MAG NEC BST

I know both are solid but would one of those go farther than the other in terms of ease of play?

Cater group would have more utility but is that the only thing that would make it stand out more? Will one group have a significant difference in DPS over the other?

Last edited:
Hiya Folks!

Im stuck deciding between 2 groups. My goal is really only group content, not planning on doing any raiding with my group.. Here are my two groups, which one will go farther / do better in terms of group content?

Group 1: Melee - WAR SHM BRD MNK RNG ROG
Group 2: Caster - WAR SHM BRD MAG NEC BST

I know both are solid but would one of those go farther than the other in terms of ease of play?

Cater group would have more utility but is that the only thing that would make it stand out more? Will one group have a significant difference in DPS over the other?
I think they are both pretty similar and likely going to be close in ease/DPS depending on content/xpac. This is truly a situation of "play what makes you happy" because that group will always go farther.

1-Shadowknight 114
2-Enchanter 114
3-Mage 113
4-Mage 111

//Nemmon
Shaman and Necro are your other 2 casters. Don't leave them out. Your healer and your second rezzer as well as a dps machine that doesn't run out of mana that is both toons actually. Use the CTWN Plugins that is the best advice I can give you.

1-Shadowknight 114
2-Enchanter 114
3-Mage 113
4-Mage 111

//Nemmon
Starting my own "caster" group today, but had to make a few changes....
Tank: SK
Heals: Shm
DPS: Mag, Nec, Pal
CC: Brd

Wasn't sure on the last "DPS", gave into Paladin because of CTWN plugin and didn't really wanted to add the ENC on top of the BRD and didn't want to mess with INI files for Wizzy (lazy)..
I can't play without a bard, it's impossible........

Wasn't sure on the last "DPS", gave into Paladin because of CTWN plugin and didn't really wanted to add the ENC on top of the BRD and didn't want to mess with INI files for Wizzy (lazy)..
Swap DRU for PAL imo. Has a plugin now

Why not pet tanking? I always wondered about that.

Question - 6 Box caster group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back