• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Your EQ data usage (1 Viewer)

afortner87

RedCents
1,120¢
Was just curious how much data usage people use for eq while boxing. I've run into a problem that has forced me to use a hotspot for the time being and I'm seeing about 654 mbs for 12 hours .

How much data do you guys normally use when you box?

Does standing in the guild hall with a bunch of toons vs them fighting use more bandwidth ?

Last edited:
Was just curious how much data usage people use for eq while boxing. I've run into a problem that has forced me to use a hotspot for the time being and I'm seeing about 654 mbs for 12 hours .

Does standing in the guild hall with a bunch of toons vs them fighting use more bandwidth ?
No idea how much bandwidth I use for EQ.
But almost undoubtedly you'll use more data fighting than standing around.
Combat inherently introduces more outgoing/incoming data just to provide information on hits/movement.
A guild hall is small, lacks a large population (generally speaking) to have to communicate data related to location changes.
Unless there is someone banging on a training dummy while in the guild hall, chances are there is no data being received related to hits/songs/spells being used a lot.

Also, I'd expect pets being summoned with buffs to provide additional data for the local character.

Generally speaking buffs aren't communicated to other characters, unless the other character happens to be targeting you.
Health is not communicated on things not on XTarget, a Target, or in your group. So provided you're not grouped I would expect even less data being shared. (even a raid doesn't provide health/mana/endurance data unless the raid member is on xtarget or in group)

I can say that when I queue up my box team for multiple days I will get an auto generated email from my internet provider noting the change in data use and soft threat that they’ll throttle me. But I don’t have any data use logged to share. I don’t get this issue when running just 1-2, so I’m concluding that they each individually draw about the same and it scales.

Avg 50-55gb here per 30 day from EQGame.exe thats 18 accounts (7 buffers) My overall net usage is light at 75gb per month. I had worried I was going tap out my legacy cable (23mbps) speeds.

Any data that is exchanged between the server and client will be a transfer. Exactly how much transfer happens with each request / send is unknown and subject to much speculation. And I do not think anyone has the patience / desire to sit and log each type of request to and from the servers to accurately give you a sample so it can be calculated. And even if this did happen, it would still be inaccurate at best. Also, it's dynamic. What are other player characters doing? What other activity is happening in the zone you are in that needs to communicate with your client, ETC?

The actual real answer to solve your dilemma of "I need to know what data I am using because I am on a hotspot" will ultimately be....get a hotspot with unlimited data usage. Even when I have used hotspots in the past, even when throttled, this was more than enough for several EQ instances. Now I am not talking 50 character raid worthy, but enough for a full group at least.

Hope this was helpful

Question - Your EQ data usage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back