• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

WOW to LOTRO translation please (1 Viewer)

ShutdownZo6

RedCents
11¢
My co-workers are trying to get me into LOTRO and I don't know what to roll or what to do, I have the buddy key and the game I'm going to install it when I get home today at 6pm.

WOW information:

I play a level 67 human warlock, tailoring/enchanting. my next highest characters are level 21 to 29. various classes, most of them magic-users.

My co-workers play on the Meneldor server.

can someone translate the classes in LOTRO into wow-terms? idk wtf a ministroni or lore-master is, and I need some help because the "descriptions" on the lorto website are like... "The guardian is a class for blah blah drawing the attention of your foes!" and i'm totally lost because I've been into WOW for 2 years.

my co-workers sucked at explaining it in wow terms because they are only level 40 in wow.

any help would be much appreciated. :)

Lore Master is essentially a mage or wizard mixed with a pet class.
Minstrel is a Bard...in Lotro they are the true healers
Hunter is a Ranger for the most part
Guardian think of as a Paladin (Holy Warrior that can heal a bit)
Rogue is pretty self explanitory
Captain is a buffer / pet class
Champion is the true tank class

My advise would be to try EACH combo of Class/Race as you can to level 10 or perhaps more. I find that I prefer Hobbits, but I also have an Elf Lore-Master, and Human Guardian. Each get certain benefits but after you play them for a few levels they are unnoticeable. I was never a big fan of the Enchanter in EQ, yet I took to the Lore-Master fairly quickly. Also never played a Cleric, yet also took fairly easy to the Minstrel.

I really have a hard time playing a Captain, but could also be because they don't get their Herald till level 10 -- These guys are like Paladins with a pet. Captains also get a shout like the Minstrel. Burglars are fun especially in groups, you can control what are called "Conjunctions" that help big time - also get sneak. Hunters are like Rangers, get snares, traps, and multi-shots, and very nice DPS, but SQUISHY -- although I have a build that did a nice amount of damage using Low-Cut. Just started trying to play a Guardian for the first time. He can definitely take damage big time. Soloed 3 mobs at once at level 8 in spider caves, has the HPS to outlast mobs if soloing. Champions are nice DPS/Tank. These guys do AoE damage. If taking on 3 mobs they can swipe at them all at once. While not squish they are like Beserkers in EQ using anger that leaves them open to attack. They can act as tanks as well. Minstrels are healers but they play their songs to add buffs as they fight, and 75% of the time they are fighting as well - Very complicated (at first) TIER level songs. Sing Tier 1 opens up Tier 2, then that opens Tier 3. There are traits that make it possible to lengthen the songs, etc And of course group heals and individual heals as well as an instant group heal later on. Also Minstrels get a SHOUT that rocks. Used to pull a lot when soloing, I have had crits on it over 200 often. Also a chance to stun with it.

Of course you have to make your own opinion but I would suggest you also look over the starting stats of EACH RACE, but also keep in mind that it really does not matter. However there are starting areas you grow accustomed to like BREE that help in getting groups etc. I found that I would make a Hobbit then find the nearest Stable and head over to Bree (Staddle and Combe). But the Shire also is a great area I find, just too spread out!

way over my head, I never played EQ.

so burglar is rogue
champion is defense warrior
minestrel is a priest
captain is like a paladin with a pet?
hunter is equal to hunter in wow, but a squishy?
loremaster is like a warlock?

what about the other ones? wow refrences only please.

ShutdownZo6 said:

so burglar is rogue
minestrel is a priest

Didn't really play WoW that much, but Guardian is WARRIOR, not Champion. Champion is a (BERSERKER) utility class that can tank, but serves a better role as DPS fighter. Hunter in LOTRO is nothing like in WoW, at least from what I have seen/heard. You pretty much have the others pegged. Minstrel is a Priest that is also kinda like a BARD.

The hunter in LoTRO doesn't have a pet like the WoW hunter does.

If you enjoyed your warlock and having a pet, you might enjoy the Loremaster class. But as someone else suggested, you could try going through the first ten levels of all classes (it doesn't take long) and see what best fits your play style.

ShutdownZo6 said:

so burglar is rogue
minestrel is a priest

I played WoW for a long time, so I may be able to relate to you on this...

Burglar-Rogue with Buffs
Champion-Offensive Warrior/Hand-to-Hand Mage (DPS wise...)
Minstrel-Priest
Captain-Paladin/Shaman (Buffer) (Also has Heralds, aka a pet) Druid maybe, can tank, heal, etc.
Hunter-Hunter (Without a pet, but Individual DPS makes up for it.)
Loremaster-Warlock (Has pets)
Guardian-Warrior

Shutdown, you have to understand that LoTRO is a completely different game than WoW, so, you aren't going to have the exact same classes as does WoW, just with different names. Instead, you have new classes, with new moves, and new angles. My definitions above are what I consider the closest to each.

Believe me, they are arguable, and no one will agree as to the translation that I have offered, but take it from someone who can relate to you. Every class is fun. You will not go wrong with any class on this game, and they are all important. The things that you need to consider are simply if you like to heal, tank, or dps. It is that simple.

Good luck, and look us up on the game, we have a nice kinship going on.

The biggest problem you might find is FINDING THINGS. Quests can be very vague about where to find items, etc. This kinda helps.

MAPS: http://www.mehq.net/dynmap/index.php?locId=103

In game you can find a loc by typing ";loc". Just make sure you are in /say or you could send the location to /OOC or /Kinship by accident. Of course when you are level 1-5 you are basically doing an INTRO QUEST, depending on race where it is. You are basically restricted to an area till you finish the last quest. Then you are ported to your bind area that you chose originally. So you might be sent to Archet to do like 20 quests or so, or Thorins Gate, etc.

Looking ahead a bit...Also keep in mind that some quests are MAJOR pains (Great Barrows), and despite seeing people trying these at level 20-22, you might want to wait till like 25+ (and get others 25+ also). Some are easy once you've done them the first time, like the SHADE KING quest where you actually never leave town or kill anything. If it says GROUP QUEST it is usually tougher then most, with few exceptions. Stay away from Old Forest till like 12, it is a pain to get around.

Also there is a great resource of information simply at the FORUMS on LOTRO - Everything from Class/Race to Tradeskilling, etc
:
http://forums.lotro.com/

is there a website for lotro like there is for wow? follow the analogy if you're confused.

World of Warcraft :: Thottbot : Lord of the Rings Online :: __________?

closest thing right now is lotro.allakhazam.com least that's what i've been using..though it's lacking a lot of info

Shutdown, I understand where you are coming from with these questions, as I had the same exact ones whenever I began my journey in Middle Earth. The thing is, the game is only a couple months old. There are no Custom UI's, no big hacks, no working bots, and very little information that you can find.

Rest assure though, I am sure that thottbot and Ally are working on it, as well as some other sites.

Shutdown, I'd try MEHQ.net . That is pretty much thottbot, has info on character whereabouts and things like that.

WOW to LOTRO translation please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back