• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Worried about Sony scanning your processes? Just use Sony BMG copy protection. (1 Viewer)

Mantisknight

RedCents
Sony BMG rootkit
http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/34
Text taken from above site.

Want to cheat in your online game and not get caught? Just buy a Sony BMG copy protected CD.

World of Warcraft hackers have confirmed that the hiding capabilities of Sony BMG's content protection software can make tools made for cheating in the online world impossible to detect. The software--deemed a "rootkit" by many security experts--is shipped with tens of thousands of the record company's music titles.

Blizzard Entertainment, the maker of World of Warcraft, has created a controversial program that detects cheaters by scanning the processes that are running at the time the game is played. Called the Warden, the anti-cheating program cannot detect any files that are hidden with Sony BMG's content protection, which only requires that the hacker add the prefix "$sys$" to file names.

Despite making a patch available on Wednesday to consumers to amend its copy protection software's behavior, Sony BMG and First 4 Internet, the maker of the content protection technology, have both disputed claims that their system could harm the security of a Windows system. Yet, other software makers that rely on the integrity of the operating system are finding that hidden code makes security impossible

so now, once you have this DRM software on your computer, not only can you hide your processes, so can the virus, malware, spyware and adware writers.

nice!

datadog said:
so now, once you have this DRM software on your computer, not only can you hide your processes, so can the virus, malware, spyware and adware writers.

nice!

good reason not to download it -.-

Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena
Que tu cuerpo es pa´ darle alegria y cosa buena
Dale a tu cuerpo alegria, Macarena
Hey Macarena

Macarena tiene un novio que se llama
Que se llama de apellido Vitorino,
Que en la jura de bandera el muchacho
Se metio con dos amigos

Macarena tiene un novio que se llama
Que se llama de apellido Vitorino,
Y en la jura de bandera el muchacho
Se metio con dos amigos

Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena
Que tu cuerpo es pa´ darle alegria y cosa buena
Dale a tu cuerpo alegria, Macarena
Hey Macarena

Macarena sueqa con El Corte Ingles
Que se compra los modelos mas modernos
Le gustaria vivir en Nueva York
Y ligar un novio nuevo
Macarena sueqa con El Corte Ingles
Que se compra los modelos mas modernos
Le gustaria vivir en Nueva York
Y ligar un novio nuevo

clrplr said:
good reason not to download it -.-

It's NOT a download.

This software is installed automatically on your computer system, along with a proprietary audioCD player when you insert an audio CD protected by this DMR system of Sonys.

Not only that, but you cannot uninstall it.

The original version installed itself without your knowledge or consent. I believe after all of the ruccus, they developer has actually built a license agreement/acknowledgement click thru for future versions, and have built in some kind of uninstall routine. This wont benefit you if you have the existing version on one of your precious CD's.

This is some damn scary shyt people.

datadog said:
It's NOT a download.

This software is installed automatically on your computer system, along with a proprietary audioCD player when you insert an audio CD protected by this DMR system of Sonys.

Not only that, but you cannot uninstall it.

The original version installed itself without your knowledge or consent. I believe after all of the ruccus, they developer has actually built a license agreement/acknowledgement click thru for future versions, and have built in some kind of uninstall routine. This wont benefit you if you have the existing version on one of your precious CD's.

This is some damn scary shyt people.

Um, not to flame ya data but, I posted something on this before =/

Time to develop a proprietary root kit that doesn't allow viruses/spyware to be installed, CAN I GET AN AMEN!?

i used to be able to run peer guardian 2 while playing eq but oddly now im not able. i get the 1017 may have to patch message.

The Trojan's appearance follows on the heels of widespread outrage over the Sony rootkit. A class-action lawsuit has been filed in California and plans are underway to file a similar case in New York. Calls to boycott Sony BMG music also are circulating.

Oh what a lovely day..........
Would love to see Sony get their asses kicked on this one LOL.

ok as i see it this is similiar to old time code of naming a file using null key. you do not see it normal when doing a dir search unless you actually limit the dir search to null* and then you would see the hidden files. this would be similiar and though they are not looking for it now and you could use it and mod your spyware/antivirus to look for programs that start with those settings. even modding it to block the running of said programs. a secret is only as good as how many people know.

Worried about Sony scanning your processes? Just use Sony BMG copy protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back