• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Workstation and EQ? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,065¢
Does anyone play EQ on a work station? How does it perform with EQ? Thinking about getting my work to sport me a workstation while I am trapped at home.

I ran EQ on a Lenovo ThinkPad back around 2003 running 1 character. (Did not know the glories of MQ2 back then). It ran fine. That machine had a full metal jacket lol. I used to travel alot for work then, and remember after awhile having to turn the ac all the way up. I would make the air conditioner my desk and would set the laptop on top of it because it got so hot!

I'm currently running it on a HP Z220 workstation, which is a Xeon based workstation with an old quadro 600 graphics card. It's virtually indistinquishable from my home desktop i7 in terms of capabiltiy/functionality. It was an older system I got from my local craigslist, and it's been working fantastic for me.

the cpu is a xeon e3-1225 v2. it's got 4 cores and 4 logical pcoessors, which is comparable to my i7 at home in terms of clock rate and cores, but the xeon is more efficient at the multi-threading. I'm able to run 6-8 char's concurrently with 1/2 of the ram and it seems to have more fluid operation. That's completely subjective mind you, so take that with a grain of salt. But at a base level I can definitely run 2 groups on this workstation at the same time without much trouble. I could probably operate a few more, but I'm nearing top end cpu/mem utilization even with eqwire and isboxer for minimal-ish eqclient's on all but 2 toons.

Tech - Workstation and EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back