• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - Wizards of the Coast will be partnering with Daybreak (1 Viewer)

RedCents
4,646¢

in a nutshell now they own a card game again. Hmmm
:
Speaking of 2022, the big change for next year and beyond is that Wizards of the Coast will be partnering with Daybreak Games to develop and publish Magic Online. Daybreak Games is a leading global publisher and developer of multiplayer online games and has a proven track record of supporting and growing live-service games. With an established, long-standing relationship with Wizards, Daybreak Games is a great fit, not only to continue Magic Online's legacy but also to build on it.

is Magic Online different from or the new MtG: Arena? (I think that's the name. I only play paper but have friends that play online in the WotC thingamabob).

MTGO (Magic: The Gathering Online) which WoTC calls Magic Online has been around since 2002. The Arena game was around 2017 or 2018. So DBG is forming another sub studio to take over maintenance of a very old game.

It will probably be similarly structured to how Darkpaw as a substudio handles development of EverQuest.

At first I thought it was DPG who was handling it and I was thinking “If you were looking for improved stability you might have looked at the last few months of EQ before making that judgment call.”

Ok this is good for Daybreak. The bad part is WOTC, WOTC is not a good company, emphatically not a good company.

The insane levels of wokeness within WOTC is poisoning all their IP's, you only have to look at what's happened to D&D over 5th editions release.

As an example of this, the company I work for wanted to publish a source book for D&D 5th Ed, it was based on Vikings and Norse mythology, we were in discussions with WOTC, we'd gotten to the stage of compiling and editing the proof of the book, when 1 person at WOTC objected to the lack of diversity represented in the book and actually called our lead writer a nazi for his portrayal of the Vikings in the book. Sad times.

Also they are slowly but surely destroying MTG as a decent competitive game, luckily i cashed out of MTG quite while ago, and recently got back into playing card games with Flesh and Blood.

But meh, what can you do.

This is kinda like what SOE Denver did with LoN and the LotR card game. That studio ended up getting canned from SOE and formed another studio that did other digital collectible card games. So, expect another studio to get canned hah.

This seems like such a weird business move to me. I'm not even saying it's necessarily good or bad for either party, but as both a longterm EQ player and longterm MTG player... this just seems strange from a business perspective.

I don't know what's going on under the hood with MODO (and don't play it personally), so I assume it's all handled in-house like Arena seems to be, so outsourcing that to a true gaming development company does seem like a good move, I would have just never expected Daybreak to be on the other end of that contract.

Side note: as an example of just how not "woke" WotC is: Here is what happened when they tried to increase their diversity. Of course they are going to be sensitive about what material they publish and with whom, they've been called out multiple times for being really bad at representation. D&D has long had huge issues with embedded racial stereotyping (orcs and drow, I mean really). And WotC just drags their feet on removing that shitty stuff. Most of the time it just gets added back in later and it has to be brought up again. And then there were the white supremacist MtG cards that they ended up banning -- they shouldn't have made it into the game in the first place. Calling WotC "woke" is like calling David Duke "progressive".

This seems like such a weird business move to me. I'm not even saying it's necessarily good or bad for either party, but as both a longterm EQ player and longterm MTG player... this just seems strange from a business perspective.

I don't know what's going on under the hood with MODO (and don't play it personally), so I assume it's all handled in-house like Arena seems to be, so outsourcing that to a true gaming development company does seem like a good move, I would have just never expected Daybreak to be on the other end of that contract.
Many of the team that currently maintains it are moving to the sub studio, so even though DBG is handling it, it's a lot of the same team that already maintains it.

News - Wizards of the Coast will be partnering with Daybreak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back