• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Why am I crashing on zoning? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
127¢
Hey gang,

Hoping someone with more tech knowledge than I can hazard a guess as to why I’m locking up when I zone my guys… not every time, but it’s a lot. And I have to power down to log back in. I can replicate the lockup every time if I alt-tab btwn clients when they’re all zoning.

I’ve recently created an extra group and now run a box crew of 29 - so initially thought it was just pure numbers so was thinking of upgrading the RAM but before doing so, came here for some advice as I would have thought my rig can handle the numbers as it’s way OP for EQ being a Corsair One i300 w/ i9-12900K - GPU 3080 - 32GB DDR5-4800

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your consideration 😎

Hey gang,

Hoping someone with more tech knowledge than I can hazard a guess as to why I’m locking up when I zone my guys… not every time, but it’s a lot. And I have to power down to log back in. I can replicate the lockup every time if I alt-tab btwn clients when they’re all zoning.

I’ve recently created an extra group and now run a box crew of 29 - so initially thought it was just pure numbers so was thinking of upgrading the RAM but before doing so, came here for some advice as I would have thought my rig can handle the numbers as it’s way OP for EQ being a Corsair One i300 w/ i9-12900K - GPU 3080 - 32GB DDR5-4800

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your consideration 😎
do you have a crash id?

Just curious, are you in full screen? saying alt + tab leads me to believe this, and A eq hasnt ever played nice in full screen swapping, B its recently got worse, c its reported on beta, live and test(no MQ?), and d EQ specifically sets to windowed mode now (since.. june?) as part of a DBG style fix :bang:

Just curious, are you in full screen? saying alt + tab leads me to believe this, and A eq hasnt ever played nice in full screen swapping, B its recently got worse, c its reported on beta, live and test(no MQ?), and d EQ specifically sets to windowed mode now (since.. june?) as part of a DBG style fix :bang:
I’m windowed.
But @ 1440p on a 49inch ultrawide.

do you have a crash id?
Not at all, the machine just locks up so I don’t get anything.
When I log back in I have to wait to boot all the guys still online so I don’t think it’s a MQ thing - could be wrong of course, I’m no expert.

I have had issues with PC's running less than 1GB per account with an additional 4GB dedicated for the OS. Perhaps you need to bump up your RAM count. I would bump to 64GB. Also, some problems can arise if you do not dedicate a core to each instance of EQ. I have found success going that route to solve strange problems with lock ups, and random crashes. Also, try taming your FPS to 30 max and reducing your graphics if you haven't done so already.

Also, would be worth a shot to make sure you have the latest graphics drivers from Nvidia direct. They have been patching a lot in the last several months due to Win 11 receiving less than optimal updates. I, too, run Win 11, and have had to do this a couple of times to ward off strange system behavior.

Edit: Also, make sure your rig isn't getting too hot. Check your temps

Check your security software/AV. The eqgame.exe is not signed and is considered an untrusted executable on my system. After every patch that updates the exe I have to manually go into my security software and set the eqgame.exe to a trusted exe. Without doing that my security software virtualizes the system access and registry access to that exe and becomes unstable.

Also check if your AV is scanning the eqgame.exe every time. I had to set my AV memory scanning from Stateful to On Access scanning which means it only scans it when it is opened and not while it is running in memory.

Does it crash with an error or crash to desktop or does it just seem to hang? If you let it sit for several minutes does it become responsive? If so, it may be your AV scanning the eqgame.exe and holding things up. I had a simular problem.
This is very important, I had to allow an exception for both eq and mq and issues went away,

Thanks all for the input, I’ll give all these a go and see where it takes me. Appreciate the advice.

@Dasumo it just hangs. And the only way to fix is a hard reset. Can’t even get to task mgr. Sometimes the keyboard lights will stutter instead of moving smoothly across the keys before it hangs as well. It’s only on zoning when I zone the entire team at once.

Can you press the keyboard combo of CTRL, SHIFT, and ESC to open the Task Manager and end the Not Responding eqgame.exe?
There is an option in the Task Manager option menu to make the Task Manager "Always on top" so when it is opened it automatically pops on top of all the other programs.
Can't do anything when it locks up - but I've just selected the always on top option so will give that a go next time, thanks again.

Discussion - Why am I crashing on zoning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back