• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Guide - which is easier (1 Viewer)

Hillbilly69

RedCents
35¢
Hello, I have tried 2 different bots so far, sadly i have failed to get either to work correctly, I saw redguides on facebook and am thinking of trying it out.
Well I am interested in kiss assist, but the very vanilla looks easier, which is easier to set up and get it running?
Edit. A few days later, I must say this is the best system that I have played, Easy to set up and I just completed Mercenary upgrade quest on 3 characters while drinking coffee.

Last edited:
hello, I have tried 2 different bots so far, sadly i have failed to get either to work correctly, I saw redguides on facebook and am thinking of trying it out.
Well I am interested in kiss assist, but the very vanilla looks easier, which is easier to set up and get it running? thanks

Howdy @Hillbilly69 - welcome!

RedGuide's Very Vanilla is just the compilation of MacroQuest to - kissassist or muleassist are both macro and is likely what you saw and are asking about.

Both take a little bit of setup, but once you have the basic it is really pretty straightforward to build out whatever setup works for your needs. we even have libraries of existing .inis that people are using for both kissassist and muleassist.

RedGuide's Very Vanilla also has the RGMercs macro suite (among other options) which are lower on the configuration/customization and higher on the "out of the box do your thing".

very vanilla means the very basic macroquest
kiss is a macro that uses macroquest to function
think of getting inside a car and u can turn the steering wheel and honk the horn, listen to some music and adjust the seat maybe even roll down the hill a little
then u decide to put some gas, get some navigation (one day u might go all tesla and sit in the back seat while the car drives home......
look at the videos of what can be done and then figure out if thats what you would like to do

thanks, I think I will try out VV, I failed at other setups using macroquest styles
the ini. file copy makes it look easier for if/when I go Kiss

Start with kiss first copy paste inis already made as u get hang of it modify them slowly.. also the redguides mercs is good for some classes out of box like mage works wonderful..

subscribed, right now downloading macro, what is rg mercs you guys are mentioning? Ok I searched and found Redguides Merc

Last edited:
I searched and found Redguides Merc
You got it - https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/rgmercs.1013/

RGMercs is really wonderful for something that 'just works' - It's not nearly as customizable as KissAssist or MuleAssist or as detailed and specific about what it does like CWTN plugins but basically speaking you just get it installed and run it and boom.. Your character is now a merc, but better. Doesn't matter what class. Doesn't matter what level.

It's not perfect, and is constantly being updated, but for getting up and running with basically no 'know how' it's really wonderful. Eventually you'll probably still want to learn about KissAssist, but learning it a little at a time while your group already basically does what it's suppose to do makes it a much less daunting mountain to climb. Learning one or two new things here and there is a hell of a lot easier than 'here's all the stuff you need to know before your group does what you need it to'

For just getting going on RGMercs, you could probably get away with just knowing 3 commands. There's quite a few more, several of which I use every day, but at it's core these are the 3 'must know' commands. Check the commands tab on the macro's page for more. (including auto-pulling, buying/memming spells and more)
/rgstart - Literally turns on RGMercs on that character once you've got it installed
/rg camphere - Sets your camp on that character so it will return to that location
/rg campoff - Unsets your camp

Bonus 2 commands that are true for every macro, not specific to RGMercs
/mqp - Toggles pause on and off
/end - Ends your macro entirely

Should you need to, editing the ini's is pretty self explanatory for RGMercs. Things are generally named in obvious ways. AutoAssistAt=98 .. Ok, so that means I will auto assist at 98% mob life. Otherwise 0 means off, 1 means on if a numerical value doesn't offer any other meaning like BurnAlways=0 - So that means I'm not always trying to burn, I'm waiting for it to be a named or a certain number of mobs to be on aggro. The good news is, the base settings of the ini's aren't bad, so you may not even need to look at your ini at all.

As for dipping your toe into KissAssist when you get around to it -- I didn't like the way RGMercs handled enchanters (it plays them fine, but I felt like it wasn't doing several things I thought it should be) so I took a KissAssist ini that existed and then when I noticed it repeating actions I didn't like, I figured out how to fix that one single problem. Very easy... It doesn't take too many 'one single problems' before you have a very good working knowledge and can expand greatly on that. Now, I'm pretty sure my KissAssist enhanced enchanter plays the enchanter better than I do most of the time.

Bonus 2 commands that are true for every macro, not specific to RGMercs
/mqp - Toggles pause on and off
/end - Ends your macro entirely

Soon there'll be an /rg on and /rg off as well for times where you want to leave the macro unpaused but don't want it to do a bunch of combat or buff stuff.

I like rgmercs for caster class but melee I don't so much chats plugins for toons are great there not free but for melee toons like roq. Bsty sk a must have

Guide - which is easier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back