• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - What's better for box performance? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
83¢
So before I ever learned about setting cpuaffinity to -1, I hated boxing becuase trying to run two accounts from the same instance of EQ was miserable. To combat this, I instead just copied the everquest folder 5 additional times so that I have 6 individual everquest folders each with its own unique eqgame.exe.

Is it better for performance to do it this way, or should i switch back to just running one eqgame now that I know about cpuaffinity?

Also idk if this is destroying my machine or not but I also changed cpuaffinity to -1 on all of the individual eqclient.ini files in each of the EQ folders

Off of just one instance of eqgame, right? aka, you click the same eqgame however many times to get all your toons in?
well, I use isboxer so i can run virtualized instances of eqclient.ini (my main toon has -1 affinity, but also has models turned on and graphics--- the background toons all have -1 affinity and stickmode and everything turned to potato mode)

but yeah, for every instance of eq you would have a -1 in your eqclient.ini

Prior to starting with MQ2, I had separate instances of eq for each of my chars, so I could have different settings for the boxes - less models and effects and such (but I did have -1 set on all my eqclients). But now I just use the single one.

what does -1 do?
"Added the ability for EQ to set its affinity to all cores when starting up. This can be done by modifying the eqclient.ini value for the instance to -1. For example, to set your second instance of EQ to run on all cores add "CPUAffinity1=-1" to the [Defaults] section of eqclient.ini. Note: if this causes problems for you, please report the issue in /bug and change the CPUAffinity value back to the value it was before you changed it. "

Honestly I use multiple directories as well, that way changes to the Settings of one directory do not affect the others for instance Key binding your Cursor keys to a forage macro (Moot point with MQ2) however that would cause Other toons from the same directory to dismount an summon new mounts (breaking invis, etc)
I didnt need the In camp toons to be able to see far distances and kept the clip plane for my puller to maximum while others were at 5% or 10%

I've tried to set the CPU affinity in the ini to -1 a few times and something is changing it back to defaults. Have any clue what's going on?

You probably have multiple lines further in the ini, or something else.... I would start from scratch
  1. Get MQ2EQWire absolutely worth it
  2. Only use 1 eq folder, mine is setup like this and i have a duplicate for test server
    1. c:\eql = eq live
    2. c:\eml = macroquest live
  3. Make a copy of your original eqclient.ini c:\eql\eqclient-myorig.ini
  4. Grab my optimized eqclient.ini and name it eqclient.ini and place it @ c:\eql\eqclient.ini . It's setup for 7 toons but you could add more cpuaffinity lines
  5. Load 1 character and change what you like
  6. Enjoy eq+mq2 goodness

You probably have multiple lines further in the ini, or something else.... I would start from scratch
  1. Get MQ2EQWire absolutely worth it
  2. Only use 1 eq folder, mine is setup like this and i have a duplicate for test server
    1. c:\eql = eq live
    2. c:\eml = macroquest live
  3. Make a copy of your original eqclient.ini c:\eql\eqclient-myorig.ini
  4. Grab my optimized eqclient.ini and name it eqclient.ini and place it @ c:\eql\eqclient.ini . It's setup for 7 toons but you could add more cpuaffinity lines
  5. Load 1 character and change what you like
  6. Enjoy eq+mq2 goodness
Is there a specific use-case to using that .ini? Or is that for most cases? Trying to work on optimizing mine.

Question - What's better for box performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back