• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Click "RG3" at the very bottom-left of this page to change it. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - What's better for box performance? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
241¢
So before I ever learned about setting cpuaffinity to -1, I hated boxing becuase trying to run two accounts from the same instance of EQ was miserable. To combat this, I instead just copied the everquest folder 5 additional times so that I have 6 individual everquest folders each with its own unique eqgame.exe.

Is it better for performance to do it this way, or should i switch back to just running one eqgame now that I know about cpuaffinity?

Also idk if this is destroying my machine or not but I also changed cpuaffinity to -1 on all of the individual eqclient.ini files in each of the EQ folders

Sic

Nihil
RedCents
13,473¢
Off of just one instance of eqgame, right? aka, you click the same eqgame however many times to get all your toons in?
well, I use isboxer so i can run virtualized instances of eqclient.ini (my main toon has -1 affinity, but also has models turned on and graphics--- the background toons all have -1 affinity and stickmode and everything turned to potato mode)

but yeah, for every instance of eq you would have a -1 in your eqclient.ini

RedCents
453¢
Prior to starting with MQ2, I had separate instances of eq for each of my chars, so I could have different settings for the boxes - less models and effects and such (but I did have -1 set on all my eqclients). But now I just use the single one.

Sic

Nihil
RedCents
13,473¢
what does -1 do?
"Added the ability for EQ to set its affinity to all cores when starting up. This can be done by modifying the eqclient.ini value for the instance to -1. For example, to set your second instance of EQ to run on all cores add "CPUAffinity1=-1" to the [Defaults] section of eqclient.ini. Note: if this causes problems for you, please report the issue in /bug and change the CPUAffinity value back to the value it was before you changed it. "

Sic

Nihil
RedCents
13,473¢
Mq2eqwire will do more for performance than any other setting or plugin. (Shameless push for it, but it is true)
absolutely 100%
I set my cpu affinity to -1 and let eqwire handle the rest (unless you're also saying that you don't need to set affinity with eqwire? which is news to me)

RedCents
710¢
Honestly I use multiple directories as well, that way changes to the Settings of one directory do not affect the others for instance Key binding your Cursor keys to a forage macro (Moot point with MQ2) however that would cause Other toons from the same directory to dismount an summon new mounts (breaking invis, etc)
I didnt need the In camp toons to be able to see far distances and kept the clip plane for my puller to maximum while others were at 5% or 10%

RedCents
76¢
my eqclient has 4 lines of cpuaffinity the -1 is set on cpuaffinity0 but the others have a different number do i need to set -1 to the others too?

RedCents
5,143¢
I've tried to set the CPU affinity in the ini to -1 a few times and something is changing it back to defaults. Have any clue what's going on?
You probably have multiple lines further in the ini, or something else.... I would start from scratch
  1. Get MQ2EQWire absolutely worth it
  2. Only use 1 eq folder, mine is setup like this and i have a duplicate for test server
    1. c:\eql = eq live
    2. c:\eml = macroquest live
  3. Make a copy of your original eqclient.ini c:\eql\eqclient-myorig.ini
  4. Grab my optimized eqclient.ini and name it eqclient.ini and place it @ c:\eql\eqclient.ini . It's setup for 7 toons but you could add more cpuaffinity lines
  5. Load 1 character and change what you like
  6. Enjoy eq+mq2 goodness

RedCents
174¢
You probably have multiple lines further in the ini, or something else.... I would start from scratch
  1. Get MQ2EQWire absolutely worth it
  2. Only use 1 eq folder, mine is setup like this and i have a duplicate for test server
    1. c:\eql = eq live
    2. c:\eml = macroquest live
  3. Make a copy of your original eqclient.ini c:\eql\eqclient-myorig.ini
  4. Grab my optimized eqclient.ini and name it eqclient.ini and place it @ c:\eql\eqclient.ini . It's setup for 7 toons but you could add more cpuaffinity lines
  5. Load 1 character and change what you like
  6. Enjoy eq+mq2 goodness
Is there a specific use-case to using that .ini? Or is that for most cases? Trying to work on optimizing mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)