• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - What should I box for my 6th spot? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
824¢
Hi,

Currently I box a level 120 SK, shm, zerker, bard, mage, and druid/cleric group. I made the druid for dps and ports, and so that the shaman could heal instead of the cleric because it synergizes better with my group, but the druid dps isn't what I was hoping for (often less than 100k because of how poorly it casts) when using a kissassist ini file. So now (unless someone can help me fix druid dps) I am thinking of switching again and putting in a different class that can dps better than the druid can. I've been considering just about every class, but after the druid problems I'm thinking I need something that doesn't dot as primary dps, even though necro sounds fun. The mobs just die too fast for dots to be effective, unless its a super short duration dot and applied very early. The druid has a dot like this and I even have it set to cast at 100% on a mob, but it just doesn't do it most of the time. That's why I'm thinking dot classes won't work too well. Mobs usually last 30-40 secs with my group before dying.

Taking all this into consideration, what do you all recommend me boxing that I can automate for great dps and maybe even synergizing with my group. I've personally narrowed it down to wiz, bst, or rogue. But I'm probably mostly into the idea of a bst, even if its effectiveness kind of overlaps with my shaman.

Thanks for the help.

good to know. i'm still a newb when it comes to mq2 and automating my chars. just learned about class plugins while posting this on the forums today. didn't find anything pointing towards a druid plugin though

Currently I box a level 120 SK, shm, zerker, bard, mage, and druid/cleric
Ya but does a bst perform well running off of an ini file?

If you're planning on keeping the mage and only dropping the druid, then I suggest either...

SK, shm, brd, zerk, mag // Pal (buff/heals/cures, melee dps, tank threat (to take off group 2nd to SK), BL (for another EM pet + Melee dps synergy/buffs/toon's dps), Monk (monk aura + melee dps synergy), or rogue (melee dps synergy)

And yes, beast runs fine on INI file... I only use INI files, no class plugins... if you have the time, formatting the ini really helps you learn MQ; for those answers you can't find or figure out, there is asking the forums :)

Last edited:
If you're planning on keeping the mage and only dropping the druid, then I suggest either...

SK, shm, brd, zerk, mag // Pal (buff/heals/cures, melee dps, tank threat (to take off group 2nd to SK), BL (for another EM pet + Melee synergy/buffs/toon's dps), Monk (monk aura + melee dps), or rogue (melee dps)

And yes, beast runs fine on INI file... I only use INI files, no class plugins... if you have the time, formatting the ini really helps you learn MQ; for those answers you can't find or figure out, there is asking the forums :)
Thanks for the reply! I'll probably level a bst during the next exp bonus. Do you happen to have a good ini file for bsts? If so, please share.

From everything I've heard, you either want all casters or all melee to get best use of the bard. He can't effectively boost dps for both at the same time. That being said, I'd strongly consider dropping mage and druid both and going with something like rogue and ranger (top 2 dps I'm told for current content and they work well for me) or another zerk in there somewhere. Assassinate and HS generally have my rogues and rangers at the top of my dps. Good luck!

From everything I've heard, you either want all casters or all melee to get best use of the bard. He can't effectively boost dps for both at the same time. That being said, I'd strongly consider dropping mage and druid both and going with something like rogue and ranger (top 2 dps I'm told for current content and they work well for me) or another zerk in there somewhere. Assassinate and HS generally have my rogues and rangers at the top of my dps. Good luck!
Ranger and Rogue certainly do very well in ToL, where there's an abundance of humanoids, but who knows where that's going to go in the future.

Mage with a shaman and bard in group can sustain near 1mil dps on pretty much any target, I wouldn't drop it personally

Ya I love my mage. Running off the ini, it easily does about 1M dps, including pet. Plus group coth to get to places that sucks dragging a whole group to on follow.

And I'm thinking the same thing, no guarantee that humanoids will be prevalent in all future expansions. So even though ranger and rogue would be great, they may not be in the future. Though, that's true for all classes.

Ya I love my mage. Running off the ini, it easily does about 1M dps, including pet. Plus group coth to get to places that sucks dragging a whole group to on follow.

And I'm thinking the same thing, no guarantee that humanoids will be prevalent in all future expansions. So even though ranger and rogue would be great, they may not be in the future. Though, that's true for all classes.
Pfft. Forget coth. Just go with 3 rogues, SOS, drop campfire and you can go anywhere :)

Hi,

Currently I box a level 120 SK, shm, zerker, bard, mage, and druid/cleric group. I made the druid for dps and ports, and so that the shaman could heal instead of the cleric because it synergizes better with my group, but the druid dps isn't what I was hoping for (often less than 100k because of how poorly it casts) when using a kissassist ini file. So now (unless someone can help me fix druid dps) I am thinking of switching again and putting in a different class that can dps better than the druid can. I've been considering just about every class, but after the druid problems I'm thinking I need something that doesn't dot as primary dps, even though necro sounds fun. The mobs just die too fast for dots to be effective, unless its a super short duration dot and applied very early. The druid has a dot like this and I even have it set to cast at 100% on a mob, but it just doesn't do it most of the time. That's why I'm thinking dot classes won't work too well. Mobs usually last 30-40 secs with my group before dying.

Taking all this into consideration, what do you all recommend me boxing that I can automate for great dps and maybe even synergizing with my group. I've personally narrowed it down to wiz, bst, or rogue. But I'm probably mostly into the idea of a bst, even if its effectiveness kind of overlaps with my shaman.

Thanks for the help.
kick the druid and do bst, ranger, or rogue...you've got a basic melee config...so you need other melee classes that can "give" you additional synergies

I currently am running a similar group to yours SK, Shm, BST, Bard, Zerk, Zerk.
I probably should have done a rog or ranger for one of the zerkers. That would be my suggestion.

The best groups are designed around the Holy Trinity and Synergy focused. This means in the current meta, Caster or Melee centric. If a Bard, melee focused. If an Enchanter, caster focused. Since you have the following:

SHD, SHM, BRD, BER - You are already mostly melee-focused. Yes, you have a MAG, but how much is he/she helping? You mentioned COTH, definitely a useful tool, but in my last go around, I didn't use him that much in all of the places I went. Between double invis, or fighting down, his use was limited. I was lucky though because it was a separate account, I had a pocket COTH for those rare times I wanted one.

Adding a BST and ROG to that mix? Now you have a very well-balanced group that synergizes well together. Look around the hundreds of other posts, where others say the same thing. In ToL group content with full T3 crafted on all toons:

ROG - 1.6m
BER - 1.4m
BST - 1.1m
SHD - 800k
BRD - 750k

Pretty solid numbers on the tank and spank fights. Swapping in and out toons like the MAG, MNK, etc. MAG would hit 1m, MNK was 1m, but nothing close to the ROG/BER numbers. I have not researched anything about the new expansion though so...things could change.

But, as always, in the end - play what you want to play. What appeals to you.

What did you end up with? Rog, rng, or bst instead of druid woulda been cool

I currently am running a similar group to yours SK, Shm, BST, Bard, Zerk, Zerk.
I probably should have done a rog or ranger for one of the zerkers. That would be my suggestion.
Why do you suggest rog or rng instead of 2 zerks? I'm leveling a second zerk now and I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake doing it. Lots of folks are saying doubling up is the way to go, lots of folks are saying don't double up. I'm not sure I have the time or energy to playtest multiple different characters.
My baby zerk is only in the 80s, but I have a 113 ranger (acct is FTP and will stay that way after I pop a krono for AA) I could use or I could easily level a rogue instead. So I'm not losing more than a couple hours of playtime to swap out now at worst -- if it's worth it.

Why do you suggest rog or rng instead of 2 zerks? I'm leveling a second zerk now and I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake doing it. Lots of folks are saying doubling up is the way to go, lots of folks are saying don't double up. I'm not sure I have the time or energy to playtest multiple different characters.
My baby zerk is only in the 80s, but I have a 113 ranger (acct is FTP and will stay that way after I pop a krono for AA) I could use or I could easily level a rogue instead. So I'm not losing more than a couple hours of playtime to swap out now at worst -- if it's worth it.
Zerkers just aren't the powerhouses they once were. Still a great class by all means, it's just not a no brainer to stack them now and rogues are generally outperforming them. Ranger has good melee buffs and synergizes well.

Zerkers just aren't the powerhouses they once were. Still a great class by all means, it's just not a no brainer to stack them now and rogues are generally outperforming them. Ranger has good melee buffs and synergizes well.
Are rangers good even w/o HS mobs to obliterate? Or are rogues sufficiently outperforming rng and zerk that I should level one? I've never actually played one, but that doesn't matter quite as much now haha

The correct answer is to play what you find interesting and fun. The group game is not terribly difficult, so min maxing on group makeup isn't incredibly important, as long as it's not something completely awful.

Rangers are a "good" class, but they aren't going to do as much DPS as a zerker or rogue, they just aren't designed to. Personally I think they're slept on a bit for melee groups, as they do good damage themselves and provide a healthy boost to others. So it depends on what you mean by outperform a rogue.

The correct answer is to play what you find interesting and fun. The group game is not terribly difficult, so min maxing on group makeup isn't incredibly important, as long as it's not something completely awful.

Rangers are a "good" class, but they aren't going to do as much DPS as a zerker or rogue, they just aren't designed to. Personally I think they're slept on a bit for melee groups, as they do good damage themselves and provide a healthy boost to others. So it depends on what you mean by outperform a rogue.
Outperform in DPS output. I like when the mobs die fast :)

Outperform in DPS output. I like when the mobs die fast :)
They won't put out as much raw dps (on non-HS mobs) as a zerker or rogue, but they will add dps to every other melee in your group via buffs/synergy. I mained a ranger for years so I have a soft spot for them and I agree they're slept on when played well, but I think that's hard to do in an automated fashion so they can suffer from that as well.

In my opinion, if your only goal is to maximize your dps numbers, I'd say run a zerker and rogue but also level a ranger (probably on your healer acct) to be a buffbot for your melee group. If you're planning on sticking with killing humanoid mobs make that two rogues instead but keep the buffbot.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up making a bst for my 6th spot, and a substitute rogue for when I want it over my mage on my 5th account. I figured since I'm PLing a bst, I may as well PL a rogue too. They are now both lvl 120 with lots of AAs, bst is maxed and rogue is almost maxed. I like the bst and it performs very well, in and of itself while also boosting the group quite a bit. My whole group does a lot better now with a bst. While the rogue is boxed when I want to do something for extended periods of time (or use assassinate), since the mage runs out of mana after like 1-2 hours or so of nonstop fighting. The rogue doesn't do as much dps as the mage unless I can assassinate. So in NoS, which lacks many assassination mobs, the mage is better except when it runs oom after awhile (though this rarely happens since I usually have a med break sometime within an hour depending on the camp). Too bad the CWTN plugin doesn't utilize sacrificing the high mana cost mage pet repeatedly to get your mana back like high end mages do on raids.

Hi,

Thanks for the help.
I, personally, would lose the Druid and add a Rogue. Rogue's DPS is off the charts ...of course, that is assuming you have a good portion of AA's done and remember to use poison on both weapons. I just whichever is casted with the Legs as well as Island Toxin made from the drop, in almost every zone, Animal Venom. Island Toxin does the following, Decrease Attack Speed by 35%, Increase Poison Counter by 25, Decrease Movement by 50%, and Decrease Chance to Hit by 5% with All Skills! Of course there are 100's of poison options out there and another on that I use is the one created using Privet (that which is used for you level) and Delphinium for the same parameters. Remember you will need to keep every drop of Mamba Venom that you get in order to make these, plant based poisons. I say plant based, because the tradeskill item looks like a plant leaf.

Discussion - What should I box for my 6th spot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back