• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - What automation for bard? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
924¢
Well, somehow I had taking it for granted that there were MQ2 class plug-ins for every class. And much to my chagrin, there is no class plug-in for Bards. I admit, I was shocked given how popular the class is.

Anyway, I'm going to be running MQ2 class plug-ins from CWTN for all my other toons, but I'm not sure what to do about the Bard.

If you have a Bard and use automation, what do you recommend?

Thanks very much.

Well, somehow I had taking it for granted that there were MQ2 class plug-ins for every class. And much to my chagrin, there is no class plug-in for Bards. I admit, I was shocked given how popular the class is.

Anyway, I'm going to be running MQ2 class plug-ins from CWTN for all my other toons, but I'm not sure what to do about the Bard.

Thanks very much.

RGMercs Lua handles bard fairly well.

Thanks very much.
i use KissAssist but my bard is max level and max aa, so i don't have to edit the ini very much once i get it to where it satisfies me.

RGMercs Lua handles bard fairly well.
Have you ever tried another option, like Kiss or Mule? Also, if understand correctly, RGMercs is less configurable than other options. Has that caused problems for you?

Separate question, but I haven't decided (due to my limited experience) on driving the group from the SK or the BRD. Would it solve my issue here to just drive the group with the BRD? What do you recommend?

Thanks for the input. I know I can count on you.

Someone out there has a KA mod that is supposed to be more useful for Bards. RG doesn't provide support for it specifically though.
Interesting. You wouldn't happen to have more specific information about said mod?

Have you ever tried another option, like Kiss or Mule? Also, if understand correctly, RGMercs is less configurable than other options. Has that caused problems for you?

Separate question, but I haven't decided (due to my limited experience) on driving the group from the SK or the BRD. Would it solve my issue here to just drive the group with the BRD? What do you recommend?

Thanks for the input. I know I can count on you.

I initially used kissassist for my bard but updating the ini file constantly as it leveled and gained skills was a pain in the ass. Even modifying existing inis that are posted was too much of a task for my laziness. I am a big fan of the fire and forget nature of the CWTN plugins.

I have not tried muleassist or rgmercs macro version.

As for RGMercs Lua, the configurability of KissAssist will when out for niche uses everytime. That said, the configurability of RGMercs Lua for Bard is pretty straight forward, and works great once you get it going. Without the need to be editing ini files all of the time.

I also found kissassist to be a bit of a pain due to it stopping working at times and needing to be restarted.

As for your separate question on driving - if you ask around there have been quite a few folks who have tried driving from a toon that is not the tank. Usually this is because it’s the class they played before getting into MQ and plying their own group, and the one they knew how to play. Almost every one of them has changed to driving their group from the tank. It just makes sense and solves so many problems. I’m sure there are still people who drive from a non-tank toon, but the overwhelming majority of us find driving from the tank the easiest.

Thanks very much.
I have 6 bards and to be honest I have no clue how to play them. I really don't want to learn. I throw them into a group to get to 110 then Sic's KA takes over and they actually do something other than take up a group slot. I don't make any changes until 115, 120, 125. Again using Sic's KA.

As for your separate question on driving - if you ask around there have been quite a few folks who have tried driving from a toon that is not the tank. Usually this is because it’s the class they played before getting into MQ and plying their own group, and the one they knew how to play. Almost every one of them has changed to driving their group from the tank. It just makes sense and solves so many problems. I’m sure there are still people who drive from a non-tank toon, but the overwhelming majority of us find driving from the tank the easiest.
That's very helpful. Appreciate the insight. I think I'd probably enjoy actually playing the Bard over my SK, but I'll heed your advice.

I have 6 bards and to be honest I have no clue how to play them. I really don't want to learn. I throw them into a group to get to 110 then Sic's KA takes over and they actually do something other than take up a group slot. I don't make any changes until 115, 120, 125. Again using Sic's KA.
Can you clarify for me? What do you use to automate them before 115? Also, how is Sic's Kissassist different from the normal macro? Is his version not working for levels lower than 115?

Thanks.

Can you clarify for me? What do you use to automate them before 115? Also, how is Sic's Kissassist different from the normal macro? Is his version not working for levels lower than 115?

Thanks.
They are referring to the kissassist ini file in the kiss repo. Sic has one for 110 and up if I recall. There are some lower level ones in there as well. I use my modified kiss for my bards which was a modified version from 2 other forks

Generally I would start with a lvl appropriate ini from the repo then just tweak where needed. A lower lvl on is sometimes easier to edit up in spell lvls than going backwards I find.

I start at 110 with Sic's KA. His are in increments of 5 levels from 110 to 125. To be honest I have not used any others. All of his have served me well.

I currently use Lau RG Mercs, just for the easy of it. However, when it comes to DSP and other things, if you have the right KA file, it beats out mercs easily. My Bard is currently 122 and I don't want to edit the file every level. When my Bard hits 125, I will be switching her back to a KA file until the day comes when we finally have the CWTN.

I am using RGMercs and it makes a big difference to me over KA when it comes to total group DPS. Perhaps KA does better for the individual Bard, but for the group it's RGMercs for me.

They are referring to the kissassist ini file in the kiss repo. Sic has one for 110 and up if I recall. There are some lower level ones in there as well. I use my modified kiss for my bards which was a modified version from 2 other forks

Generally I would start with a lvl appropriate ini from the repo then just tweak where needed. A lower lvl on is sometimes easier to edit up in spell lvls than going backwards I find.
God, thanks!! That clears away so much confusion. I thought they were referring to some splinter macro of Kissassist or something, some different version of it. Ok, it's the ini files. It makes sense now.

Thanks for evaporating the fog. That's always the danger in relaying expert knowledge, if you're not specific about the details, the other person is likely to misunderstand.

Ok, this is what I'm taking away so far. RGMercs is plug-n-play, no muss no fuss, but less than ideal for getting the most of an automated Bard. I'm also going to assume from the comments that it's an easier solution for techno-tards like me who are not comfortable with heavy configurations. Downside is that you're not able to change the focus or tools the program uses. Correct?

Kissassist is arguably better from a total performance perspective, but requires hands-on modifications by downloading a new ini every 5 levels and customizing it yourself. Yes?

I've seen some conflicting claims about DPS. This is important to me because I don't want my bard just standing in the back playing the bongos. I'd like to use him for pulling and DPS (as much as that's possible for a Bard). So those who claim one is mo' better DPS than the other, can you give me some reason why that is the case for you? Like did you try the other program and it tanked your DPS or something? Don't get me wrong, I believe you, but it helps me a lot if you have some evidence and logical reason for the claim that one is better DPS than the other.

Thanks to all who have responded. It's been very educational.

There is one other option worth mentioning. Take a look at this thread. That option worked really well for me as well. I did eventually switch back to rgmercs just due to laziness and ease of setup on a new computer.

p.s. Don't underestimate the benefits of a bard twisting some songs sitting near the group.

--- I'd like to use him for pulling ---

Just a note here, once you have a well functioning group you almost never worry about pulling any longer. You can just PLOW through content. Which is why so many of us run our groups from the tank. Even if the tank drags back a half dozen mobs it's no problem, you just melt them down. My focus on the bard is simple mezzing for crowd control and then maximizing DPS for the group as a whole. I use KissAssist for this.

Ok, this is what I'm taking away so far. RGMercs is plug-n-play, no muss no fuss, but less than ideal for getting the most of an automated Bard. I'm also going to assume from the comments that it's an easier solution for techno-tards like me who are not comfortable with heavy configurations. Downside is that you're not able to change the focus or tools the program uses. Correct?

Kissassist is arguably better from a total performance perspective, but requires hands-on modifications by downloading a new ini every 5 levels and customizing it yourself. Yes?

I've seen some conflicting claims about DPS. This is important to me because I don't want my bard just standing in the back playing the bongos. I'd like to use him for pulling and DPS (as much as that's possible for a Bard). So those who claim one is mo' better DPS than the other, can you give me some reason why that is the case for you? Like did you try the other program and it tanked your DPS or something? Don't get me wrong, I believe you, but it helps me a lot if you have some evidence and logical reason for the claim that one is better DPS than the other.

Thanks to all who have responded. It's been very educational.

I would honestly suggest you just start with /Lua rgmercs. It has a UI where you can customize how you want things done and it will grow with your Bard and use level appropriate songs as you level instead of needing to update a KA file. I use my Bard primary for CC purposes. I run missions ect. The Bard keeps all adds in check and adds plenty of dps/utility to group. The big differences in DPS between /Lua rgmercs vs KA are going to be pretty minimal. Epescially pre level 115.

Just a note here, once you have a well functioning group you almost never worry about pulling any longer. You can just PLOW through content. Which is why so many of us run our groups from the tank. Even if the tank drags back a half dozen mobs it's no problem, you just melt them down. My focus on the bard is simple mezzing for crowd control and then maximizing DPS for the group as a whole. I use KissAssist for this.

I second this... Just pull with tank. Let Bard deal with any adds.

+1 to this.

Before I started boxing I spent a lot of time on how and when to pull even with me and a merc on my mage.

Now with an SK, Shammy, and Rogue all with apprentice level mercs I never worry about getting swarmed. I drive with the SK (I have no idea how to play this toon yet) and more or less just run in with reckless abandon. The shammy will keep me alive and if he is OOM then the healer merc will save us.

+1 to this.

Before I started boxing I spent a lot of time on how and when to pull even with me and a merc on my mage.

Now with an SK, Shammy, and Rogue all with apprentice level mercs I never worry about getting swarmed. I drive with the SK (I have no idea how to play this toon yet) and more or less just run in with reckless abandon. The shammy will keep me alive and if he is OOM then the healer merc will save us.
I realize I'm falling victim to 1999 thinking in a 2024 EQ world. Back in the day, being able to single pull was a big deal. It no longer applies. I've already experienced the ability to take on multiple mobs and red cons with my SK solo. So with a full group

behind him, I can see the truth in what you're saying. I'll heed the advice and drive with the SK. As I mentioned, I'd probably enjoy the BRD more, but it's a small sacrifice for success.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance.

I realize I'm falling victim to 1999 thinking in a 2024 EQ world. Back in the day, being able to single pull was a big deal. It no longer applies. I've already experienced the ability to take on multiple mobs and red cons with my SK solo. So with a full group

behind him, I can see the truth in what you're saying. I'll heed the advice and drive with the SK. As I mentioned, I'd probably enjoy the BRD more, but it's a small sacrifice for success.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance.

Took me a while to do accept this as well. My BST is my "main." However, in order to achieve the things I wanted on my own, I had to embrace having a Tank and driving with it. My approach is that when I really want to play my BST, I'll simply start a group with guild friends. When I need to run missions, and or get things done, I run my team, which is centered around the tank. Good luck.

Question - What automation for bard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back