• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Weapon delay for Melee DPS? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,031¢
I've done a search, but has anyone done a list or chart to show which weapon delay is best for each class? I read or heard Zerk want the highest dmg ratio, but not sure if true. Do rogues want highest ratio or all about speed? I know back in the day was all about more hits, has this changed? Thanks

Zerk tend to work better with higher delay weapons, since there's only so much that haste can do. I use 2HB for mine because they're the slowest, but highest damage, so with SHM and BRD haste, they're still swinging super fast. Others might have parses to support their stuff, but my setup works really well and frankly, in the group game, whether I use a 36 or 32 delay weapon really means nothing.

afaik all weapons in the same tier are the same ratio (modern game), the difference tends to be with the dmg bonus from higher delays.
With lower accuracy one could argue a lower delay weapon, because that improves the number of tries via quantity of swing, but with sufficient HDex and AA's the higher delay is better because you get the dmg bonus from the higher delay, haste has a larger impact because it's percentage based, and then it's quality of hits over quantity.

Ok, so more damage :)
If we're talking modern EQ, latest expansion (or within 2-3 from current, ratio is king (very small differences in the calculated ratio can be ignored). And as Yama mention, class specific weapons are the goto if available.

Quick, general rundown by class:
Rog: use class spec weapon in main hand and the next best 1HP you have in off-hand
Monk: class spec 2HB for your 2-hander set and class spec H2H/1HB for your dual wield set
Zerk: class spec 2HS
Bard: no class spec option, just get the 2 best 1-handed weapons you can find. Top tier meta says to use 1HB in main and 1HP in off-hand.
Bst: same as monk since they share class spec options.
War: uses 3 sets; dual wield the 2 best class spec 1HS you can get; Use the best class spec 1HS with shield for sword-n-board; The best generic use 2HB you can get for 2-handed DPS
Pal/SK: Class spec 1-hander with shield for tanking and class spec 2HS for DPS
Rng: class spec bow and the best generic use 2HP (for the sympathetic proc). And yes, rangers will melee from time to time depending on burns available.

There are options in most categories depending on what proc you want (pure DD, heal proc, stun proc, life tap proc, etc.). Most classes will want straight up damage but there are exceptions and the difference is minimal so not really a "wrong" answer either way. They've been following cookie-cutter templates for the last 6+ expansions with each tier/expansion getting a basic percentage increase year after year. Once you figure out what variety you prefer, you can rest assured that there will be the same variety at the next tier of content.

Use raidloot.com to compare options that are available at whatever tier of gear you're able to acquire (raid vs group, tier 1 vs 2 vs 3).

Last edited:
War: uses 3 sets; dual wield the 2 best class spec 1HS you can get; Use the best class spec 1HS with shield for sword-n-board; The best generic use 2HB you can get for 2-handed DPS

A slow offhander would still be good for dw war? I have been using the lifetap proc 1hs because i didn't think a slow offhand would be that good. DPS and agro def seem fine with the setup i have been using. Would it be noticeable difference to switch?

A slow offhander would still be good for dw war? I have been using the lifetap proc 1hs because i didn't think a slow offhand would be that good. DPS and agro def seem fine with the setup i have been using. Would it be noticeable difference to switch?
Would it be noticable? no, I don't think it would. Like I said, there are no "wrong" decisions as long as you're getting upgrades to the next tier. I personally choose to dual wield class specific weapons on my warrior because it's a higher ratio. The reason that the War gets high delay weapons is to cut down on riposts taken.

You can change depending on circumstance also.
I have 3 bandolier sets currently:
  • Aggro: dual wield, best 1-handers I have with aggro / rune / stun augs - this is initial engage set, and also switch to if I lose aggro
  • Damage: Best 2-hander plus best damage proc aug - switch to this as default when engaged in combat and have solid aggro.
  • Defense: Sword and Board - switch to this when things get hairy, best AC 1-hander, plus lifetap aug
I find the 2Hander is best for damage due to the bonus and also fewer ripostes, but I've only done a few parses, really only enough to confirm my priors.
If I found that dual wield was out damaging my 2Hander, I'd change, but I'm not currently assessing / reassessing how I play this class. He's pretty solid atm.
My view on war is to try and get best dps I can but will compromise on this if survivability or aggro is affected.

Zerker - best 2 hander
Monk - best 2 hander
Rogue - best dual wield 1 handers, (include backstab bonus in how I rate)
SK / Pal - Best 2 hander - Sword and board if things get hairy

Last edited:
Question - Weapon delay for Melee DPS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back