• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

VIP code, MQ2 and ethics (1 Viewer)

Druid

RedCents
50¢
I think it's kinda ironic, when I read that people are concerned that about using VIP code without being a member (which would violate the MQ dev's terms), when we're using MQ2 which is a gross violation of SOE's terms.

Now, personally, I use MQ2 and the precompiles, and dont give a [bleep] about SOE's terms, and I'm a VIP member. And I don't have the slightest conflict because :
(a) my version of hypocracy doesn't bother me
(b) I think SOE is wrong and MQ is right

But it is an interesting point.

You think anyone will pay attention to the opinion of someone who can't even post in the right forum?

a) It's about mq2 and eq and cheats... what forum do you suggest? I'll post it there.

b) Obviously, I dont care a whole lot about the opinions of others... lol ... I'm so self-involved
;)

First and foremost, I respect the devs at mq2. They did come up with it first. But why would they put a ban on their plug-ins.

They wrote it so they own it.
I am absolutely positive that if the devs at mq2 did not make these plug-ins, we would have come up with them ourselves. We have great programmers at this site that don’t flame the sh!7 out of you. That’s why I come to this site way before I got to the mq2 boards. Do they own it? You can’t own anything illegal.

$10+ dollar fee
I believe they deserve this money. Most of us have vip access anyways. They got to realize that a lot of the people go to there site because of RG. I know I did. I don’t know why they are putting up such a fuss. It seems kind of childish to me that they would put a ban on using their plug-ins. It won’t stop me from coming to this site. But it lets me see how they think

Trying to get more people for there site.
If they think they are going to get more peeps for there site they are wrong. Most of the people who use the MQ2 are not that computer literate. And if you ask a question there OMFG it like you committed murder. There is at least one guy that answers you in a polite manner but 20+ that flame you so bad you never want to go back. And I would bet that the guy that was nice to you was a RG member. So if they want more on their boards STOP THE FLAMES.

I know this post is all over the place, but I had to get it off my chest. And because of this I have actually lost respect for the mq2 site. This is just my opinion. Do they deserve the donation, hell yes. But I think they need to relax the plugin ban.

mq2 is a great program, and provides alot of opportunity for alot of people. it doesnt matter who can make what, the fact is that they did create most of it there first, so they have the right to do as they wish with it unfortunately.

and if you paid your $10, i feel you have every right to use whatever you want about it, lol, and they have the right to kick out your membership.

it does suck they have a crap attitude there with anyone who is new to the scene or is learning. they all too easily forget they started somewhere themselves.

Druid said:
I think it's kinda ironic, when I read that people are concerned that about using VIP code without being a member (which would violate the MQ dev's terms), when we're using MQ2 which is a gross violation of SOE's terms.

I find there to be a huge difference. MQ2 isn't some huge company that makes a ton of money, they're people with jobs, trying to make ends meat. If the MQ2 devs were making a huge profit off of this, I wouldn't have a problem using the VIP plugins without being a VIP member.

Odessa put your epeen away, nobody fucking cares how small it is. Dont try to act all fucking OG on an internet forum. God you fucks piss me off.

If they wrote it, you shouldnt take it for another site just because you like that site better. People have to pay for those and when you go to another site and post stuff other people payed for it sort of makes them mad. If I had to pay a 10$ fee and the next day I see a thread with all of or some of the VIP plugins that I wanted Id be pretty mad.

I see why some people wouldnt care. If your going to leech from other sites at least give FULL credit to the author. Dont take full credit when all you did was a little copy and pasting and editing some words to make it look like you made it.

If I made a program just for redguides I wouldnt mind people posting it on other sites..Just as long as I got my credit its all good. Now If i make a plugin and see
a_noob post a thread like "Blah Blah Macro" and its the SAME as mine and he puts "Macro by a_noob"..Id be mad and wouldnt like it.

Thats some what of how this is, they wouldnt like people posting stuff that they make money off of.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know MacroQuest2 and most of the plugins, are opensource under the GPL license.

From what I recall of the GPL license, it states that anyone is allowed to change and distribute it, as long as they take no profit from it, and if they apply any changes, that they make those changes available to the public as well.

Now this ofcourse merely applies to Vanilla MQ2 and it's plugins, unless the specifik plugin authors have published their works under the GPL license as well.

Basically this means, that if you wish to supply precompiles here, you should also make the source available, at least if the source has changed from the original Vanlilla MQ2 ;)

VIP code, MQ2 and ethics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back