• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Viable 6-Box? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
70¢
Hey everyone!

I am in the process of leveling up a 6-box team...And before I have too much time invested...Was wondering if this group makeup is viable at end-game. Everyone is currently lvl 63 except the cleric, she's 75 (using cleric merc until rest of group catches up)... My group consists of; Shadowknight, Bard, Beastlord, Mage, Enchanter and then the Cleric....I know bard and chanter are somewhat redundant, but love the chanter mezz more than the bard...Prefer to play the more on the easy side, melee and melody...I've read a lot about synergy later in game, but have never played chars long enough, and prefer more of the classic group, vs having 2 or 3 of the same class...Anyway, feel free to blast away and would love some input...Thanks!!!

Well, you have Tank, Healer and CC covered. You might get more dps if you replace the bard with another mage, or a wiz or a necro, but I don't think you'll have a handicap by keeping the bard. Ultimately, you should play the classes you like and as long as you have the trinity of tank, healer and cc, you can't really go wrong (maybe just slightly slower or faster on killing mobs).

For end game purposes if you want bid dick dps, and want casters (with chanter mez) right now best bet is sk shm chanter mage mage wiz | Melee group id rock sk shm bard zerk rog bst or rog bst ranger, I would 100% ditch the bard for a mage or a wizard, for your current situation though.

Wiz is more DPS in group setting. I would go SK, Wiz, Wiz, Mage, Enc, Dru (near - optimal ADPS for wiz/mage). I get stupid DPS with this setup and AFNuke.

If you prefer melee, I would go:
Sk, Shaman, Bard, Rogue, rogue, zerker (or rogue).

As long as it works, whatever you want trumps everything else.

That being said, the synergies of that group is a bit off.
Bard and Ench are redundant. As others said, you could ditch the bard for another caster.
Or you could ditch the Ench for a melee like seeker or rogue, which would have the melee synergies with the beast at end content.

But at the end of the day if it’s what you want - and if you have fun you’ll make more toons to fine tune…

As others have said play what makes you happy. Now saying that the only difference between what your group is atm and what my crew is made up of is instead of a ench i have a sham. I only been back doing rg for bout a month now but i yet to find something I haven't be able to handle. I haven't tried the missions in LS yet but plan to soon.

Thanks everyone for your input...I do prefer melee over casters for some strange reason...Even though I do like the enchanter...From the sounds of it, I think in the long run, I will be a lot happier with either another melee or like strongbus mentioned, adding a shaman instead of the enchanter...Is having the beastlord and a shaman too redundant? Or does the BST bring enough melee synergy endgame to offset their similarities? And if I opt for the melee instead of the enchanter, would a rogue be my best option? Again, thanks everyone for your time and input, much appreciated!!

You can make all kinds of things work. I did an all iksar group (sk, shm, 4 x necro) until I got bored with it. Also remember there is a difference between viable and optimized. Lots of things are viable, not always optimized. Which is fine as long as you are happy with it. I've made choices in games that weren't optimized because I was happier, or because it gave something else I was looking for. Like I ran a sk, clr, shm, 3 x zerker group, ran a warrior, clr, chanter, monk, rogue, zerker group. Even though a shaman and bard would have probably been more optimal, also chose the warrior so I'd have all the melee auras. Worked just fine though, and was plenty safe. Currently working on a sk, clr, chanter, 3 x wiz group (all dark elf) because it amuses me (and Sic put out wizard plugin). Mages would probably be the more optimal choice, but I don't care. Plus I'm hoping to see them all land a huge crit at the same time and just delete a mob.

A 6 man group without a bard is always weaker than one that does have a bard. I cannot stress this enough !!!

Bard makes the entire group whether it is a caster based , melee or both. He just makes everyone in the group DPS go off the charts. Plus when pulling , that bard run speed just makes everything go way more smoother and faster.

That is my personal experience and Yes I have played many combinations with and without bard. Bard always WINS !

I play a caster group.
SK, SHM, MAG, MAG, NEC, Bard
Sometims i put an enchanter in for any but the first 2 slots.
Sometimes i put a cleric instead of the shaman and when I do that, I like to run a beastlord or enchanter.
But likem any have said, the bard just adds so much QOL.

Anyone not using a Tank at all? I've been pretty happy with my Bst/Mage/Bard but I'm torn on what to get for my 4th. I wouldn't mind an increase in DPS

If you have your triangle of power and stability Tank, healer, crowd control, after that any 3 dps you are interested in playing. For me its SK Shm and Bard. I love SK for group content, Shaman is great healer and you get all their buffs and slow, and Bard is great on crowd control. Its just too painful for me to drop a bard and not have bard speed and bard invis, so I dont use enchanter.

LS has a ton of Head Shotable mobs and I get damn good dps out of my rangers that are only group geared. Now that I have boosted my dps significantly, its hard for a necro to be as effective(and I love my necro). Just the fights are lasting less than 12 sec, and its hard for dots to do a lot of work there.

Its nice to have at least 1 real pet class for Heros Are Forged, but you can work around not having one. Like people say, play what makes you happy, but ranger, rogue, bst, and berz are good options.

Group 1
Sk, Shm, Brd, Nec, Mag, Rng (this group crushes missions)

Group 2
Sk, Shm, Brd, Rng X3(in LS zones this is my fastest grind group by far)

Group 3
Sk, Shm, Brd, Nec, Mag, Bst (Mission crusher #2, especially good for HaF mission)

Group 4
Sk, Shm, Brd, Rog X3 ( working on Rogues, we shall see lvl 123 so far)

Ya. i like alot of what i read here. There are so many flavors in everquest to enjoy. everything has merit n some way or another. If u enjoy melee more than casters, you might wanna give your group makeup some thought as far as that goes. There is no rule about only enjoying 1 group. U could always make a baby group of melee heavy toons and play them in your spare time or when ya feel it getting stale. These days once u have MQ figured out, it goes fast and easy integrating new classes into the mix.

My group combo is fun. there are others who have similar builds here. i sometimes rep a rogue with a zerker or beast. my basic group for a while has been sham/sk/rogue/rogue/bard/zerker ( zerker /1 rogue spot is where i put my toons im building half the time heh). gives me flexibility and ability to work up lower level toons without stress. I also take liberal use of the fellowship. just add a toon to your fellowship. play your group til u max out the green line... then smash up a ton of levels in a few hours. Some thoughts on your group, dont forget synergy you gain from different classes unique special aa lines and aura's.

There are tons of great posts on the site specifically about this question. take some time and look through the older posts. there are great group builds and some nice information and the thought processes behind them.

Best of luck.

ZD

Rogues seem like a great option for a melee group, but the thought of gearing one seems a bit daunting. Casters always seem a bit easier to gear.

Why are people not choosing necro? I see them put out alot of dps these days?
necros need time to spool up (and multi targets helps)... group mq game isnt like that.. if a necro is good for your group, then groups bad (get 3 dots, 5 total ticks of effects, mob should be dead) or your driving tank and multi dotting (pull 10-15, do 3 ticks per mob, driving tank, repeat through xtar)

necros need time to spool up (and multi targets helps)... group mq game isnt like that.. if a necro is good for your group, then groups bad (get 3 dots, 5 total ticks of effects, mob should be dead) or your driving tank and multi dotting (pull 10-15, do 3 ticks per mob, driving tank, repeat through xtar)
That makes a lot of sense, never looked at it that way

If you are looking least amount of downtime, Melee beat casters any day of the week. Eventually casters will run dry out of mana (depending on your kill and pull rate). I personally like non-stop action, so constant fighting is a must or I just get bored.

If you have your triangle of power and stability Tank, healer, crowd control, after that any 3 dps you are interested in playing. For me its SK Shm and Bard. I love SK for group content, Shaman is great healer and you get all their buffs and slow, and Bard is great on crowd control. Its just too painful for me to drop a bard and not have bard speed and bard invis, so I dont use enchanter.

LS has a ton of Head Shotable mobs and I get damn good dps out of my rangers that are only group geared. Now that I have boosted my dps significantly, its hard for a necro to be as effective(and I love my necro). Just the fights are lasting less than 12 sec, and its hard for dots to do a lot of work there.

Its nice to have at least 1 real pet class for Heros Are Forged, but you can work around not having one. Like people say, play what makes you happy, but ranger, rogue, bst, and berz are good options.

Group 1
Sk, Shm, Brd, Nec, Mag, Rng (this group crushes missions)

Group 2
Sk, Shm, Brd, Rng X3(in LS zones this is my fastest grind group by far)

Group 3
Sk, Shm, Brd, Nec, Mag, Bst (Mission crusher #2, especially good for HaF mission)

Group 4
Sk, Shm, Brd, Rog X3 ( working on Rogues, we shall see lvl 123 so far)

So many flavors. So I have a few groups my current setup is:

Group 1
Sk, Brd, Shm//clr, bst, rog rog

Group 2
Sk, Brd, Shm/clr, bst Rog, monk/ranger

Group 3
Sk, Brd, Shm/clr, bst, rog rog

Group 4
Sk, Brd, Shm, necro necro, mage

Group 5
Sk, brd, shm, mage mage, wiz

Group 6
Pal, Brd, Shm, bst, rogue, ber

Group 7
Sk shaman, ench, mage mage mage

It’s interesting getting to experience all the classes. I’ve also had warriors during COV time frame but don’t at moment with various of the above. Double rogue group is tough to beat but I’m finding the monk since LS (as many said ) is actually decent dps. I rarely play the casters because just kid dps comparitively.

If you are looking least amount of downtime, Melee beat casters any day of the week. Eventually casters will run dry out of mana (depending on your kill and pull rate). I personally like non-stop action, so constant fighting is a must or I just get bored.
To be fair though, in the later eras a proper caster group is almost never going to run out of mana unless you've been like pulling non-stop for an hour. Melee groups are still going to have less downtime though because the caster group is going to be buffing more often and EVENTUALLY you'll have to med. But casters are more fun. 🙃

To be fair though, in the later eras a proper caster group is almost never going to run out of mana unless you've been like pulling non-stop for an hour. Melee groups are still going to have less downtime though because the caster group is going to be buffing more often and EVENTUALLY you'll have to med. But casters are more fun. 🙃

I like casters. Problem is dps is so low compared to raid geared melee.

That said folks convinced me to try a monk recently and he is regularly doing 2.5mm dps in my groups. So LS improved them - maybe casters are useful again also?

Thank you everyone for your input...Much appreciated...As a result, I have opted to go with two separate groups...

Group 1 (Main Group): Shadowknight, Cleric, Bard, Beastlord, Monk, Rogue

and

Group 2 (Secondary): Shadowknight, Cleric, Enchanter, Mage, Wizard and Druid

With the second group, does the druid offer more support than the Beastlord since it's leaning towards casters, or should I stick with the Druid? Again, thanks everyone for your help and input...Oh, and I plan on hopefully one day having a Shaman that can swap with the Cleric...I have heard that Shaman can keep up with group heals, starting around lvl 90 to 100...Thanks!

All my group now has a beast lord in it. Their personal dps has increased greatly this expansion. Their tools are invaluable in raid and if you have all your casters melee, they also benefits from the beastlord adps boost. Your mage also need as many pets as they can get on target to utilize many line spell to its full potential.

My current set up is the following:

Pal/Brd/Bst/Mage - going to add a cleric to the mix before the month is up. I feel like the BST/Mage dps is pretty strong. Mage seems to be considerably better than the BST tho, even with the Mage being on F2p and much worse gear.

All my group now has a beast lord in it. Their personal dps has increased greatly this expansion. Their tools are invaluable in raid and if you have all your casters melee, they also benefits from the beastlord adps boost. Your mage also need as many pets as they can get on target to utilize many line spell to its full potential.
I did not know that about mages, and the number of pets on a target...Would I be better off with a necro vs the wizard? Thanks for the information.

IRL - Viable 6-Box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back