• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Very new here...Running SK+mage+sham should I add a zerker? rogue? or nothing? (1 Viewer)

Deltin

RedCents
529¢
So. I've been boxing for about 3 weeks.
Started out with just mage and Sk. went with that to about level 95. Decided I wanted a shaman for slow and buffs. I was spending a lot of alacrity potions!
The team is now up to level 108. I just created another account and am seriously considering adding either a zerker or rogue to the mix.

Thoughts? This would be a FTP account initially, but might move it to pay to win account. Its all a big maybe.

Of course i'd be using CWTN plugin for whatever class I choose.

I'm also running 3 mercs. 1 healer and 2 melee dps.

I find that having a healer for the extra buffs and heals so I can run the shaman in hybrid mode is pretty cool and my SK can tank 3-4 mobs in OT without going down. These are white/yellow to me, getting 0.120% per kill. (I have since moved though, they take too long to kill with 3-4 times the health and twice the damage, and I found that I can even get better xp on brother island still just because of how fast I can kill there, getting 0.050% per kill)

So this brings me to zerker or rogue. I like the idea of adding a major dps'er to the group, a simple class. (or ranger?? but they are crap dps unless they can HS which isnt' often, and I dont want to have to pick and choose what I fight that much)

about how much more dmg would I get from a rogue or zerker compared to the J4 geared buffed melee dps?

Or should I just stick with what I have and forget about it? haha

again I'm still learning, and really need to find more way to manage what I have, meaning I alt tab a hell of a lot to mess with modes, settings, loot, trades, etc. So far though I can't find a really dumbed down EL5 explanation of what cwtn modes do, when to use them, how to drive with just one toon and be confident that my others are johnny-on-the spot with following my lead, etc. What I know I've learned through troubleshooting, testing, dying a lot, visiting the forums and reading the wiki

Anyway love ya faces, and I'll eat up any material you have to send me to help me out both generally and specifically =)

Thanks!

Howdy Deltin,

the most important thing is to enjoy your team, so pick what makes you happy. your needs will likely change over time as your goals change, and what you need/want today might be completely different.

you definitely should consider either an enchanter if you're going more casters or, a bard if you're adding more melee toons (bard can bring a lot of adps to a caster group as well).

sk, shm, bard, mage, zerk, zerk, is a pretty monster group.

zerkers are stupid good dps, like absolutely stupid good once they hit 101+ - they are kind of the "flavor of the month" and that month has been many many months.

rogue is a fine choice as well and has some individual benefits from their nature - but i personally, would go 2 zerk.

shammies are amazing and are very competent healers - make sure you also spend time getting your Old Man McKenzie rez stick, and if you haven't, stop what you're doing and go get your epic 2.0 --- same with your SK, epic 2.0 is absolutely imperative.

(if you go bard and or zerk, they both want their 2.0s as well, rogue too, but rogue epic is a little harder than the others, the others can be rocked out in a day often)

So far though I can't find a really dumbed down EL5 explanation of what cwtn modes do, when to use them, how to drive with just one toon and be confident that my others are johnny-on-the spot with following my lead, etc. What I know I've learned through troubleshooting, testing, dying a lot, visiting the forums and reading the wiki
All of the plugins have the commands tab which give some info on what things do, like the modes.
there are also videos for each of them, and other video/guides for hotkeys and "how i move my toon around". literally everything you're talking about.

-> moving your toons guide <- (and other videos/guides in the link above or in my signature - particularly this moving your toon guide and my hotkeys resource)

Howdy Deltin,

the most important thing is to enjoy your team, so pick what makes you happy. your needs will likely change over time as your goals change, and what you need/want today might be completely different.

you definitely should consider either an enchanter if you're going more casters or, a bard if you're adding more melee toons (bard can bring a lot of adps to a caster group as well).

sk, shm, bard, mage, zerk, zerk, is a pretty monster group.

zerkers are stupid good dps, like absolutely stupid good once they hit 101+ - they are kind of the "flavor of the month" and that month has been many many months.

rogue is a fine choice as well and has some individual benefits from their nature - but i personally, would go 2 zerk.

shammies are amazing and are very competent healers - make sure you also spend time getting your Old Man McKenzie rez stick, and if you haven't, stop what you're doing and go get your epic 2.0 --- same with your SK, epic 2.0 is absolutely imperative.

(if you go bard and or zerk, they both want their 2.0s as well, rogue too, but rogue epic is a little harder than the others, the others can be rocked out in a day often)

All of the plugins have the commands tab which give some info on what things do, like the modes.
there are also videos for each of them, and other video/guides for hotkeys and "how i move my toon around". literally everything you're talking about.

-> moving your toons guide <- (and other videos/guides in the link above or in my signature - particularly this moving your toon guide and my hotkeys resource)

Thank you Sic. Huge fan btw =)

I had planned to do the 2.0 for both sham and SK today, or as much of it as I could, waited too long! I was hoping to use the AoC change they added to live to help me, do a custom fear, sky, then anguish....Now that was going to change everything!....until it didnt....until it locked my toons out and booted them to the ZL =(
Anyway i'll drop what I'm doing...or planning to do, and get them done!

I'm not sure what this old man mckenzie rez stick is. I'll be doing some googling now =)

Thank again Sic for everything you do! EQ/DBGs owes you a huge debt of gratitude!

Thank you Sic. Huge fan btw =)

I had planned to do the 2.0 for both sham and SK today, or as much of it as I could, waited too long! I was hoping to use the AoC change they added to live to help me, do a custom fear, sky, then anguish....Now that was going to change everything!....until it didnt....until it locked my toons out and booted them to the ZL =(
Anyway i'll drop what I'm doing...or planning to do, and get them done!

I'm not sure what this old man mckenzie rez stick is. I'll be doing some googling now =)

Thank again Sic for everything you do! EQ/DBGs owes you a huge debt of gratitude!
thanks for your kind words.

I did a guide/vid on the naggy part of the OMM mission - it is a big long, but you should at least get a chuckle and some good info in the first minute if you don't watch the whole thing

> HERE <

thanks for your kind words.

I did a guide/vid on the naggy part of the OMM mission - it is a big long, but you should at least get a chuckle and some good info in the first minute if you don't watch the whole thing

> HERE <
again thank you, going through all of these vids.

also is possible to add the ability for the SK to use his class BP lifetap buffs, blood drinkers potion and other clickies?

Thank you sir

also is possible to add the ability for the SK to use his class BP lifetap buffs, blood drinkers potion and other clickies?

Thank you sir
if you're asking for the cwtn plugins. then the link i shared about getting started with cwtn plugins will take you on a journey and explain how to "add clicky"

Thank you sir
2 things to add to Sic's comments.

read first page or two of each pluggin, usually sic posts what his settings are for each class, I used those for awhile then started tweeking them.

also dont be afraid to modify his hotkeys to suit your group. Once again i started off copying his hotkeys then have since modified them to suit my group/groups.

As for what to add to the group
Zerk- straight up super dps, some add to group buffwise(aura)
Rog-lower dps, but has nice invis and can pull corpses
Monk-no clue never played one, its the only class i dont play/havent played
Ranger-great buffs, decent dps(i use mine ranged only)
Mage-great dps, best dmg shield/s, plus pet to OT if needed
Wizard-Good dps, caster so dependant on resists/mana/regen
Necromancer-Good dps, pet for OT if needed, FD.
Bard-super group add on, brings a TON to group depending on needs, great with melee group, pretty good with caster group. good CC
Ench-Great buffs, ok dps, Great CC, stupid pet/charm pet

i run some of all but monk in different group makups.

my lazyman group is
SK/Shm/Brd/zerk/zerk/bst-mad dps output, easy to control and use
my most fun group is
Paly/Shm/Brd/Mag/Mag/Wiz(will swap bst in for fun sometimes)

I tend to stay away from 3 of any class, ive tried em and just doesnt seem to stackup any better than other combos.

My 2x zerk 1 bst group actually parses better than 3x zerks
magex2 wiz1 or bst 1, parses out better than 3x mage

point is all can be fun if you enjoy the class

Ill second what Sic said.. play what you want.. eventually you will make more! and ill also second what @arander said... 3 of any class doesnt seem to be great.. i guess if you like that class? normally a 3peet makes you have to skip in another area. As a f2p account, id stay away from melee.. they rely on wep way to much.. a second mage would boost you nicely..

I will third what Sic said, however, you need to be aware that the dps of free to play zerkers is not as insane as paid versions. That being said they are still good dps especially if you sub them one month and get as many AA as you can in that month before going back f2p. I run pally (driver), enc or bard (been enc a lot recently), zerker, zerker, zerker, cleric or shaman (I prefer the cleric because my pally is not Sic's SK and I prefer the more reliable heals of my cleric. I run MQ2Cleric, MQ2Enchanter, MQ2zerker, and MQ2SK (for when I borrow my bro's SK). They are all nice to have and makes running the other 5 toons super easy. As for playing 4 toons, you might as well play 6 since the ftp costs nothing.

Definitely go for 6 toons. When I relearned the game, I did the Kissassist route and changed their INIs every 5 levels or so. I think this was a good way to learn VV and how the macros work. The plugins are fantastic and I use them, but I think some of the fun of this game is writing the macros for doing the little things you want.

I rund the same core group and added mage(s) and nec.
The point in having 3 of a kind is, you can use the raid-debuffs to improve the dps of the others of same kind.
The point to have a nec at hand: you get a battlerezz into the mix, very useful if you plan to go for raid-trash for the luck-aug for the charm and the typ 19 aug components.
Allover sufficient offtanks for aereas where rezz does not work.

Likely not as much dps as zerker(s) but easy going wherever you want to go to.

Last edited:
Hello,

My suggestion is : Go with a Mage as he will 1) DPS well , 2) His pet can Tank if SK goes down. 3) Call of the Hero is always nice to have in a boxed group

My FTP ROG outperform my Gold Ice encrusted/Faded velium gear Zerker with almost 150k DPS at min. (Both maxed AA's and 115)

The point in having 3 of a kind is, you can use the raid-debuffs to improve the dps of the others of same kind.

you talking alliance? you can use alliance with 2, and it does work well. specially if both also have synergy maxed. all my groups with double work it out well, i offset the casting of alliance and tag it out well

I've leveled up every DPS class. I only have gold on my healer and tank, I run all my dps on silver accounts. The reason I run silver account zerkers is because they have good DPS output, burst capabilities, AND they have no downtime. In my experience, every other class goes mana or endurance dry. I absolutely hate downtime. I run one slot as a mage for GCOH. I keep one slot for my chanter b/c I'm lazy and like to pull lots of mobs. I keep 2 slots open for the zerkers. I tried quite a few combos and I found this was the easiest setup that allows me to be as lazy as possible while also allowing me not to sit around waiting for endurance/mana.

Discussion - Very new here...Running SK+mage+sham should I add a zerker? rogue? or nothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back