• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Unstable Market... (1 Viewer)

RedBema

A Bema that is Red
RedCents
121¢
In WoW, our main goal was to make gold. Well, in LoTRO, one must use a completely different strategy to make gold. Here are the pieces of money used in LoTRO.

• Copper
  • Silver
  • Gold

100 Copper = 1 Silver
1000 Silver = 1 Gold
1 Gold = Rich

Here is an overview of some of the unstability as of now in Middle-Earth. Please note, that this is only for now, and we must take advantage of this in the first months of the game before things begin to settle. The "settlement" has already begun, so make your moves now.

• Auction Houses are still "under construction."
  • The Loot system is still unclear.
  • The market is very unstable
  • Items are simply just not "set in stone" yet.

The Auction House
What this means is that whenever you go to the AH, you can find a certain item at a certain price, and then just below the item find the same exact item for a complete different price.

How can we take advantage of this? Well, monopolize the AH of course. If you are a WoW refugee like myself, then you must throw away alot of the ol' concepts that came along with you in the exile. What I mean is that the AH is a HUGE time loss for leveling, so you must be careful, however, you may be able to make some nice dough with it if you play your cards right.

Think defensive. Probably, there are not "bottomscanners" or anything of the like developed just yet. Therefore, if you were to own the majority, then you can set the price. It becomes a manipulated "supply and demand" game. They demand it, meaning, a level 10 Champion needs a yellow sword; You supply it, meaning, you check the AH for nice swords, and you own the price.

This is difficult to do in the early stages of the game due to most of your money going to training, however, if you were to level up quickly such as our friend Jigs does, then you will be ahead of the game.

I have made a few silver with this method, and I am only in the 20's.

Another suggestion is to Bid instead of Buying Out. Again, in WoW, it was easier and better to Buyout instead of bid because of the surplus of players, but in Middle-Earth, bidding is the way to go, for now at least. Most WoW players will set a low bid thinking about the buyout only, therefore, leaving the bid low. You can win alot of items simply on bids, and either keep them for yourself, or even reselling them.

I found this out the hard way, by being the one with a low bid price.

Loot System
As it stands now, the loot system is very unclear.

What is quite funny to me is that in WoW, it was the same system and we did not have as much fussing as in LoTRO.

Pass- You do not want, nor do you need the item.
Greed- You do not "need" the item, but you could use it for your alt, or for the money it can bring you in the AH.
Need- You need the item for your particular character that you are playing at the current moment.

So, how can you make money off of this right now? Easy, nobody is familiar with the loot system. Everyone thinks it "sucks," (is how they put it in the LoTRO forums.)

Basically, there are not any leaders, (at least at mid-range levels) that know how to "lead" a group and explain the loot system. So, my suggestion is to "need" on every item. Granted, you will run into those few groups that will get angry at you for needing everything, but if that is the case, in order to save your rep, I would suggest being sensitive to that. But for the most part, if you need on everything, you have a better chance at getting more items to sell to both vendors and at the AH.

Unstable Market
I have already touched on this. The market is very unstable. I, as others, have found ourselves selling off recipies and such to vendors because they are just "in the way."

It is important to watch what you are selling off to save that room in your bags.

Unstable Items
I have already touched on this as well. Just do your best to learn the important items. Just because you have a purple recipie does not mean that it is as rare as it may seem.

Basically, you only have so much room in your bags and in your vault. My advice is to do your best to make as much money as possible, whilst saving valuable leveling time. The faster you get to 50, the better right now. If you are that high, you have a better chance at controlling alot of the market.

This is at least my take on it so far, and I am sure that many would agree with the unstability.

Has anyone AH'd any purple items?

I looted a purple mace the other day and sold it in the AH for around 30s, didn't even know what to put for the starting bid.

Eh, probably lost some money, but just curious for other's experiences.

I haven't messed with the AH yet...i've been farming and selling stuff in the trade channels...for pretty much whatever price sounds good to me...haven't sold a stack of anything yet for less than 100s...(like rowan wood...or light hide...)...and you can get stacks of light hide QUICK

I have a master expert cook, and have done okay. It is a tough market sometimes, when you figure in the cost to make things, then the percent that is taken initially when you sell through AH, then the charge to mail it to you. I can remember barely making a profit, but the more important thing to me was getting my skills up so in essence the auctions paid for that. In that sense I don't mind selling it closer to cost then I would normally.

As far as Purples? If it is Bind on Equip I mule those to character of mine that can use or auction but depends how many others already have the item for sale. Bronze Shields are like a dime a dozen, there must be 100 for sale at any time, why bother? To me that is Vendor Fodder.

Nice write up you did in first post by the way....

I AH purples all the time. They go very fast for me. Like in EQ though, I usually check out average prices and undercut them just a tad. My biggest sellers in the AH though are craft items. I can't keep boiled pristine hides on sale very long at all before they are gone for example.

shadowman33 said:
I can't keep boiled pristine hides on sale very long at all before they are gone for example.

I trust you are being smart then and increasing the price each time you list them?

Czarman said:
Nice write up you did in first post by the way....

Thanks for the encouragement, it has been a while since I posted actual information for a game.

shadowman33 said:
I AH purples all the time. They go very fast for me. Like in EQ though, I usually check out average prices and undercut them just a tad. My biggest sellers in the AH though are craft items. I can't keep boiled pristine hides on sale very long at all before they are gone for example.

This is exactly what I used to do in WoW, and it worked great.

When selling in the auction house, I look up the item I'm auctioning.

I check the bids and I ask:

What's the highest bid made so far? (That's going to be my starting bid) Then I buy up the things that are posted for less than 50% of that. Then I resell with the buyout being 50% higher than that.

I've made 3 gold selling ingots and hides.

Nice lotus...

You should join our kinship man. Didn't even know you were on our same server, or on the game until recently.

RedBema said:
Nice lotus...

You should join our kinship man.

Man??...

Lotus...can I see your balls?...please hold them into the air for everyone to see...

oh..and yeah...how'd you make that gold?...farming it or buying and reselling...and how long did it take?

I've been farming...though if it's quicker to just buy and resell...well...

how much have you been selling those stacks for?...etc...fill us in :)

Creed said:
Lotus...can I see your balls?...please hold them into the air for everyone to see...

The other one got shot off in the war!

OverHeadGirl.jpg

Oh, and to answer your question, I do a combination of all of the above.

I'm going to post up three scenes from when I was at the AH earlier. There was a ton of gold up on the block with no bids. Same with silver, no bids.

If sold cheap enough, you can blast that into white gold.

attachment.php

Looking at the mid-range rich iron ore... This seems to be the median range for most players right now.

attachment.php

I'm seeing a lot of people in AH overpricing their stuff on their starting bids. The top seller on this screen has undercut everyone in his starting bid. He's trying to pull one over on us hoping we'll get a hardon for the starting bid and only see the 199 sp, not the 1G in front of it (As far as I can tell from hearing people in my last guild bitch about having just blown an entire gold... sometimes that works!) -- but he's clearly got all of the bids.

Just a look at the higher end ore market, if you're curious.

attachment.php

The Auction House is bank!

Yesterday I went completely broke because of dying literally at least 10 times... (Thanks TheDrizz) Anyways, I ended up using all of my money on repair bills. However, I played the AH for around an hour, and now have over 400 silver.

And that is only selling half of what I had, the others are still up for bid. The scariest thing is putting something up when there is nothing to compare it too. I always fear this, but putting it higher is better because if it doesn't sell, you can always just lower it. This way you are not "giving" away great items unbeknownst to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made easy money getting rid of some of my bars and such...sold 25 rich iron ingots for 250s, had 4 more auctions going this morning when i left...about to login and see what I have

Question:

What do you guys do with your recipies? Sell them at AH or just vendor them. They seem to drop so often that their worth is close to nothing... They seem to get in the way more than anything.

I AH every one I can not use. The sell extremely fast for me. My prices range from 20 to 50 silver depending on the lvl of the recipe.

Unstable Market...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back