• You've discovered RedGuides šŸ“• an EverQuest multi-boxing community šŸ›”ļøšŸ§™šŸ—”ļø. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! šŸ‘‹
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

True Withdrawal Stories (1 Viewer)

Eaglie

RedCents
0Ā¢
True Withdrawal Stories #1

For the past semester, I decided to take a break from gaming. Coincidentally, this break coincided with the public launch of this website. I currently give it half the credit. The second half of the credit goes to my college scholarship. I received a large amount of money to go to the school Iā€™m going to, and I need to hold a 3.2 GPA to keep it. I had, at the beginning of the semester, a 3.22. I needed something like two Aā€™s and three Bā€™s (or three Aā€™s, one B, and one C, or four Aā€™s and one D, or sex with three of my male teachers) to hold that scholarship. The third half was the fact that I was tired of using all my money on gaming and wanted to try some other things in life, like drinking.

So, for five months, I stayed away from World of Warcraft as well as almost all my other games. I picked up Spider Solitaire as my nicotine patch, but even those patches can make one long for the real thing. I experienced withdrawal more intense than any Iā€™ve ever had from missing the nightly coffee run. I can tell you, the nightly coffee runs became much more intense, and I havenā€™t missed one in the past one hundred and fifty-five days, fourteen hours, four minutes, and sixty-seven seconds.

Maybe some of you have had withdrawal before. Let me explain to the "others." Thereā€™s itching, burning, convulsing, and Live Action Role-Playing. There are nights you just canā€™t close your eyes without seeing that health and "mana" bar. Without that blue bar, itā€™s just an FPS, and you shouldnā€™t worry. But seeing that mana bar is dangerous. Thatā€™s when you know only one thing will satiate that hunger. I was haunted the alarum for Warsong Gulch in my sleep. I woke up a few times with a pillow in my mouth after dreaming of using Mind Flay on a flagrunner. I even typed "/cry" in an AIM conversation! But I stayed strong for the $36000. For it, I endured the night terrors.

The school year is now over, meaning I donā€™t have the scholarship to worry about until next semester, though my workload will be reduced significantly. I also now have some money saved up so perhaps a two-month game card wouldnā€™t be bad? Or I could just pay for three months on my credit card and save $2! I have enough money for that!

No, a voice said to me. You should stay strong and kick the habit permanently. Your muscles need exercise. Your eyes liked the light they got the past few months. And your stomach appreciated the beer.

Give in! Give in, the other voice chanted at me. We miss the levels! We miss the magic and swordplay! We miss the ambienceā€¦ the landscapes! We know you do, too! Youā€™ll never travel to any place better!

Today, I sat staring at the Account Management screen at worldofwarcraft.com. No, I didnā€™t sit there all day. Iā€™m not a weirdo. I just sat there for the past hour, passing my gaze from the blinking cursor on the credit card information screen to the credit card in my hand. Enter the number or no?

creditcard.jpg

I didnā€™t, which makes me believe Iā€™ve made progress.

That is the first step, good job you've identified the problem.

The next step is to order two gamecards from amazon.com because it's cheaper than credit card subscriptions.

That is most impressive. You can save a lot of time by hooking up the coffee pot next to your tower. I mean...why make a coffee runs, when you can have coffee rolls?

Frybread said:
The next step is to order two gamecards from amazon.com because it's cheaper than credit card subscriptions.
Wow... it is cheaper. $24.98. That won't help my recovery.

actually you want to buy them in a store, preferably one that has them on sale. Amazon is cheaper but I think there's S&H right? (I got mine in a virginia walmart for dirt cheap.)

Well your slowly getting there XD just for god sakes don't get sucked into any free trial period for a new MMO, it's like serving methadone to a recovering heroin addict.
...I LOVE DDO AND ALL OF ITS INTERCONNECTED INSTANCE/QUEST/MAYHEM/MADNESS!!! I play a rogue! AND THEY WANT ME TO JOIN THEIR GROUPS! stay back white coat man! I HAVE A +2 DAGGER AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO VENDOR IT!

i realize i'm dredging up month old threads, but i'm staring to dig deeper into the site than just 'read the front page and the comments people have posted'.

but yeah seriously... i work a 9-5 M-F here in japan, and that means weekends are my 'wake up, log in, play till the GF gets home from work, then just keep playing anyway, since she just watches TV'.

a few of those and i start getting a little twitchy and anxious.

august in japan for the school systems (i teach english to elementary schoolers) is kind of like america's summer vacation, except for some reason the teachers still go to school for 8 hours a day and just sit at their desks.

seriously. just sit there.

some read magazines, i just bring my laptop and 'read' the internet. after a week, that got tired, and i made up some lie about visiting friends in australia, and just went home and raided everyday for 3 weeks or so (unpaid) until classes began again.

ugh. my shoulder still hasn't recovered to this day, and i'd have dreams where i'd be in molten core, just wondering what was going on, and i realized i'm main tank. i'd be talking to someone or something, and be like, "oh shit, yeah, the destroyers!".

wake up from that, turn on the PC, log in...

bleh, i can only thank god my 'vacation' ended...

i realize i'm dredging up month old threads, but i'm staring to dig deeper into the site than just 'read the front page and the comments people have posted'.

but yeah seriously... i work a 9-5 M-F here in japan, and that means weekends are my 'wake up, log in, play till the GF gets home from work, then just keep playing anyway, since she just watches TV'.

a few of those and i start getting a little twitchy and anxious.

august in japan for the school systems (i teach english to elementary schoolers) is kind of like america's summer vacation, except for some reason the teachers still go to school for 8 hours a day and just sit at their desks.

seriously. just sit there.

some read magazines, i just bring my laptop and 'read' the internet. after a week, that got tired, and i made up some lie about visiting friends in australia, and just went home and raided everyday for 3 weeks or so (unpaid) until classes began again.

ugh. my shoulder still hasn't recovered to this day, and i'd have dreams where i'd be in molten core, just wondering what was going on, and i realized i'm main tank. i'd be talking to someone or something, and be like, "oh shit, yeah, the destroyers!".

wake up from that, turn on the PC, log in...

bleh, i can only thank god my 'vacation' ended...

haha...i teach junior high in japan...my school board decided to just give me july and august off as paid vacation. i spent the time more productively though...um, like getting my druid from 14 to 60...all while lying on my futon. some days i got up to make food, some days it was just too much trouble.

haha...i teach junior high in japan...my school board decided to just give me july and august off as paid vacation. i spent the time more productively though...um, like getting my druid from 14 to 60...all while lying on my futon. some days i got up to make food, some days it was just too much trouble.

Man, I'd kill for a job teaching in japan.

I'm a computer programmer for the US Air Force in Montgomery, Alabama. I go to work for 8 hours a day, sit at a computer surfing websites (like I am right now), go home to the dorms and play WoW until 1am. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. It is not that I am antisocial, it is that I hate the fucking south and everything in it. (And there is nothing to do here anyway)

True Withdrawal Stories

Users who are viewing this thread

Back