• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Thread Jacking (1 Viewer)

Willy

RedCents
Ok... before i go on this rant i will admit I am guilty somewhat of this as well. it has come to my attention that there is an increasing number of repeated threads on basically the exact same topic, only with minor changes. I have been guillty of this as I am often unaware of a previous thread and continue with the one I created. if you feel you have something viable or minor to the topic just add it onto the previous thread... if it is VASTLY different and a WHOLE NEW IDEA then make a new thread.

Then again there is a more serious case where people actually take the thread that started the main topic... Actually reference it/ link it in a minor conjunction to something slightly new and make it into a new thread, and "raise it as their own." Either ask the peron for permission if there is orignal content not in text form, as basically any data in the form of text on the site property of Redguides and basically we have the right to spread it around the site. If someone links a program/ mod/ script please dont incorprate it into a thread of your own and attempt to feed off that persons work. Feel free to add to the main thread or ask them beforehand if you can incorporate their belongings into a personal thread you are taking credit for.

hehe...in that case...i totally aggree with this as well, stealing other peoples thread is just wrong...so if you believe you have been used, abused, and even taken advantage off...send me a pm...;)

Holy crap!!!!!

Willy had 2 paragraphs in his post!! 2!!!!

just kiddin', Willy. Content is more important than form to me as well (except when the form /is/ content - you'd be suprised how long it takes me to decide where the line breaks should be if I write a poem that doesn't have a predetermined order [e.g., sonnets, rondelles, etc.]). And I agree with you.

However, to me this "claiming" of threads seems intrinsicly tied with the concept of winning. The only reason I've noticed people vocally claim threads is for monthly awards, and now red cents. And also honestly, I think that's the cause. (and forthwith I digress...)

The monthly awards are given to new thread posters whose strategies are the most beneficial to the community over a month. The intended result of this (I imagine) would be to encourage people to post strategies that, without a reward, they might prefer to keep secret.

See, people seem to be driven to a great extent by greed, though by varying degrees of it. And everyone is somewhere on that Greed - Giving continuum. Just like in economics, there's an 'equilibrium point;' that which falls to one side is worth keeping to oneself (in this instance to decrease the likelihood that the strategy will be patched, overused, or otherwise nerfed), and that which falls to the other is worth sharing. The incentive of 500g, a Z-board, a year's subscription to RG, etc., etc., all add weight to the Giving side of the scale, and the equilibrium slides a bit. The area between the old equilibrium and the new is the amount of gained info RG gets by offering rewards and incentives.

One of the primary reasons this situation causes thread jacking, though is unfortunately a logistical necessity, and that is the consideration of only /authors of new threads/ for the monthly rewards. Because of that situation, additions to old threads, no matter how good they are, cannot be rewarded.

I believe Red Cents were designed to address this issue, since they are post-specific and given by users, thus not necessitating Red to read every post and thread every month. However, with the monthly awards still happening the same way, the impetus to thread jack has not decreased, and since people have been conditioned that new thread = reward potential, it seems to be happening even more.

The solution? I can't think of one that can't be exploited, unfortunately, unless Red wants to get a 'cabinet' of members together and charge them to spend 20 post-specific votes a day at least 20 days a month and then takes the top 10 vote-getters (votes, not red cents) as possible monthly award winners. But I can imagine that would lead to charges of favoritism, and whining, bruised egos, etc.

Thanks for reading (yes, you, who are still reading). I don't get to exercise that part of my brain often. Take from this what you will. I am happy with RG. I don't create many new threads, but I hope I succeed in adding something to those that already exist.

-Z

if your are talking about me then if you think a bit harder you'll realise i did more :D, what i did was useful... it brought up a valid strat forgotten somewhere on page 8 i think(honestly who looks there) and combined it with a newer one that complemented it.
I also gave full credit and links to the original posters and their threads.

Nope hanjin... this is in no shape or form directed at one person... i just see alot of people and ther ideas being abused and misrepresented by others.

I hereby apologize for all of the times (both in the future and past) that I have jacked a thread, because it will probably end up happening again :(

I have been guillty of this as I am often unaware of a previous thread and continue with the one I created. if you feel you have something viable or minor to the topic just add it onto the previous thread... if it is VASTLY different and a WHOLE NEW IDEA then make a new thread.

just kiddin', Willy. Content is more important than form to me as well (except when the form /is/ content - you'd be suprised how long it takes me to decide where the line breaks should be if I write a poem that doesn't have a predetermined order [e.g., sonnets, rondelles, etc.]). And I agree with you.

stealing other peoples thread is just wrong...so if you believe you have been used, abused, and even taken advantage off...send me a pm...

Doh...

I didn't know a thread was OWNED by anyone except RedGuides. Perhaps the thread originator gets the rating stars, but the content belongs to RED.

I am not offended by folks bending threads I start to espouse their own agenda. If I feel the thread has been hijaked and wish to return it to my direction, I will say so.

Perhaps Willy is refering to the really good content that is added to a thread by forum members who did not originate the thread. If so, then are you offended that the CASH & TRASH thread still getting play? Most of the content in that thread is unrelated to Skeptic, its originator.

What is wrong with viewing a thread as a chapter in a book? The better chapters should be edited and included in the updated Guides. No?

Thread Jacking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back