• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - The Crusaders - CoV Mission Sucks (1 Viewer)

wymranar

I <3 SKs *kissy face*
RedCents
878¢
Hey fellows..

This mission is terrible! I have watched Sic’s vid and have made it all the way to the last dragon at about 50%, but I keep having my group wipe due to spell damage.

I’ve been saving burns for the third dragon, starting clockwise. Maybe there are mechanics I’m not paying attention to that might lessen the effects? Does anyone have any tips for this one?

Last edited:
From my current understanding, the cube is suppose to teleport anyone it touches. So far, I haven’t had a run in with the cube yet.

From my current understanding, the cube is suppose to teleport anyone it touches. So far, I haven’t had a run in with the cube yet.
perfect.

some people prefer starting with a different corner than i do (i've never done it any other way).

Hellfyre says that the ae for the 3rd dragon is determined by which dragon you kill first.

you might try killing the SE corner instead of the SW Corner since you're already ahead of cube

Sic gives a great vid on it, and the thread has alot of discussions. quick tips use intensity of resolute on 2 or 3 (depending on DPS) then glyph of destruction for DPS on 3 or 4.. dragon scales last 5 minutes, so can really pop that on the way to 3, and should still be burning for 4 to keep the tank up. the event does reset if you wait to long, however, if you get the add, need to agro and drag...or kill (depending on DPS).. if you let that add wander between your char, just makes it super shitty..

I've done this a few hundred times.

When do you get your first add? During the 3 or 4th dragon?

Whats your group makeup and what do you use for automation?

@burdsjm i am getting my first add towards the end of the 3rd dragon going clockwise. Saving most burns for 3rd and 4th dragon.

Group make up is: war/BST/ber/ber/brd/clr
I’m using KA12 for everyone except the Bers use mq2berserker.

I may try starting with a different dragon first. The ae s are whats killing my toons. Normally the dps are the first to go, so maybe I also need to adjust their stick ratio also? With a pbae, does that go out in a 360 radius from the center of the mob?

@burdsjm i am getting my first add towards the end of the 3rd dragon going clockwise. Saving most burns for 3rd and 4th dragon.
That is a good DPS pace if the add is not showing up until the end of dragon 3. Personaly, I start in the NE. The 3 remaining dragons do inherit the ability of w/e dragon you kill first. The NE dragon (Grendish, iirc) does a snare and a small dot. No mana drain nor endurance drain like the others do. I think that's the easiest to handle for a melee oriented group. But if spell damage gives you problems in general, make sure that everyone is using Geomantra clicks from their charm slot item as often as possible.

I start in the NW and go counter clockwise. Doing it that way I basically have never ever seen a cube (cubes come from south and start moving clockwise). The other day I did it for the first time in months and didn’t get an add until the 4th dragon was basically at 40%. The trick is maximizing dps and quickly getting to the next dragon. Since they nerfed the spell damage eons ago I haven’t really even noticed it (I use a Shammy to heal).

In a group that is SK/Brd/Shm/Zerk/Rog/BST, I start in the SW Corner, go clockwise, wall the dragons (after the 1st) so I don't get hit by the cubes, since they randomize the path. I usually get an add at the 3rd dragon, switch to that add, kill it, then start the burn on the whatever is left on the 3rd dragon (unless its at like 10%) finish it, go burn on the 4th.

That is a good DPS pace if the add is not showing up until the end of dragon 3. Personaly, I start in the NE. The 3 remaining dragons do inherit the ability of w/e dragon you kill first. The NE dragon (Grendish, iirc) does a snare and a small dot. No mana drain nor endurance drain like the others do. I think that's the easiest to handle for a melee oriented group. But if spell damage gives you problems in general, make sure that everyone is using Geomantra clicks from their charm slot item as often as possible.
I agree with this statement. Charm clickies are a great way to cut the AE.

On the cleric make sure you are using your 2 response protection spells.

@burdsjm @zuesizgod @Sic @Sum1 thanks for the responses everyone! I think I can do this mission, but need adjustments to my strategy.

One more thing, all of my toons are F2P except the tank. This has never been a detriment before, but maybe I need to sub everyone to get over this hump. Then I could use glyphs, modern type 5s and t3 armor

@burdsjm @zuesizgod @Sic @Sum1 thanks for the responses everyone! I think I can do this mission, but need adjustments to my strategy.

One more thing, all of my toons are F2P except the tank. This has never been a detriment before, but maybe I need to sub everyone to get over this hump. Then I could use glyphs, modern type 5s and t3 armor

One thing to look at is when your toons are set to engage. Most toon setups are something like at 99 or lower.... I've even set mine as low as 97% when doing content where my puller might tag something AND get hit and the mob ends up at 99% and all my dps toons go off running toward it.

Well, in the case of crusaders, you WANT your toons set to 99% AND you might have to tab over to your highest dps toon (mine is my zerker) to manually start him attacking to jumpstart the dps. These dragons have a lot of hps, so if you're relying on getting them to 98% or whatever JUST using your tank you're wasting valuable time and resources.

Last edited:
The whole event is a DPS check to avoid most of the scripts. If you can't pump 3+m DPS for 10 minutes then you really need beefy characters to sustain the AEs. Otherwise, really on-point AE heals.

I run 2 paid and 4 free all the time and can beat this mission. So I don’t think you have to sub them but the extra gear and DPS won’t hurt if you really have to go that route.

@Sic when you are saving your burns for the third dragon, how do you keep your bard from burning? The way your ini is set up, you can’t just turn the burn section off

@Sic when you are saving your burns for the third dragon, how do you keep your bard from burning? The way your ini is set up, you can’t just turn the burn section off
For my bard, I wrote conditions to specifically exclude the dragons by name of the dragons that it shouldn't burn on. I did the same for The Call mission and Aaryonar (I don't burn Aary because I always to zlandicar right after and want all burns available).

What’s the point of excluding burns for a dragon? The four mobs are a speed test … if you get through the first two in two minutes and take eight minutes for the next two, it’s still a 10 minute event.

I will say that you should have condition checks in your burns so that you aren’t blowing your entire load at once and wasting burns that don’t stack… but that has nothing to do with this event and everything to do with smart group setups that you should always be running.

What’s the point of excluding burns for a dragon? The four mobs are a speed test … if you get through the first two in two minutes and take eight minutes for the next two, it’s still a 10 minute event.
i burn from 2-4 to minimize the time i spend with AE's, Cubes, and adds.. first one dies in less then a minute, enable burns on the way to 2.

i burn from 2-4 to minimize the time i spend with AE's, Cubes, and adds.. first one dies in less then a minute, enable burns on the way to 2.
But my point is the timer for when cubes and adds show up starts when the event starts… unless I’m missing something, it has nothing to do with the first dragon, so burning as much as possible the entire time = no cubes or adds. I start in the NW, burn from the start, and go counterclockwise and never see cubes and only see maybe one add sometime during dragon #4.

edit: I’m using SK/Bard/Zerk/Bst/Ranger/Shaman … all of whom have raid weapons … so ymmv

Last edited:
But my point is the timer for when cubes and adds show up starts when the event starts… unless I’m missing something, it has nothing to do with the first dragon, so burning as much as possible the entire time = no cubes or adds. I start in the NW, burn from the start, and go counterclockwise and never see cubes and only see maybe one add sometime during dragon #4.

edit: I’m using SK/Bard/Zerk/Bst/Ranger/Shaman … all of whom have raid weapons … so ymmv
The adds/cubes are triggered as dragons die afaik? hell i could be wrong, i figured was like the raid event (2, 3, 4 based on time)...

I don’t have any conditions to stop the bard from barding and I use sics kiss ini. I do save my burns for dragon 3 when I get the add because I find that is what was causing me the most trouble. As soon as the add gets to us I hit the burns melt the add the rest of dragon 3 and hall ass to 4 finishing the burn on him. If you get a second add on 4 it seems best to stay on the dragon because that will stop more from spawning after he dies.

The adds/cubes are triggered as dragons die afaik? hell i could be wrong, i figured was like the raid event (2, 3, 4 based on time)...

The adds aren’t triggered by dragon deaths. In my worst runs I get my first add towards the end of the third dragon. In the raid, the 2nd dragon is the one most raids burn because if you can get it down before adds spawn you don’t get adds for the rest of the event. The group mission doesn’t seem to act this way.

The adds aren’t triggered by dragon deaths. In my worst runs I get my first add towards the end of the third dragon. In the raid, the 2nd dragon is the one most raids burn because if you can get it down before adds spawn you don’t get adds for the rest of the event. The group mission doesn’t seem to act this way.
yeah, i normally get it leaving the 3rd, or right when i get to 4.. figured it was teigged by 3rd combat + time.. ive never seen a cube, i do see the spawn emotes.. so if it is straight time, guess no reason not to DPS burn off the top..

yeah, i normally get it leaving the 3rd, or right when i get to 4.. figured it was teigged by 3rd combat + time.. ive never seen a cube, i do see the spawn emotes.. so if it is straight time, guess no reason not to DPS burn off the top..

this is my experience, as well.

So I feel you're a little off here for the raid version of the event.
The second dragon, whichever one that spawns, is the one which has the adds. The 3rd and 4th don't summon adds. The 3rd and 4th dragons, whichever they end up being, are the area-wide colored floor / separate AE emotes where Yelinak just drops rainbow pain on the raidforce that is overbalanced (need that glyph spray + splash heals). The damage is doubled if there's no one in the 3 non-active corners.

The reason we burn the 2nd dragon is to get through the add phase because that will wipe the raid. One of the adds AE silences and another will heal the dragon, which basically saps your raid force's burns down.

So I feel you're a little off here for the raid version of the event.
The second dragon, whichever one that spawns, is the one which has the adds. The 3rd and 4th don't summon adds. The 3rd and 4th dragons, whichever they end up being, are the area-wide colored floor / separate AE emotes where Yelinak just drops rainbow pain on the raidforce that is overbalanced (need that glyph spray + splash heals). The damage is doubled if there's no one in the 3 non-active corners.

The reason we burn the 2nd dragon is to get through the add phase because that will wipe the raid. One of the adds AE silences and another will heal the dragon, which basically saps your raid force's burns down.

You're right, I misspoke. But I'm also not wrong that if you burn the 2nd dragon you don't get adds :)

It's not an AE silence, it's multiple random targets on the hate list and it can be countered by charming the "a domicile defender." He will instantly break charm, but all targets that were silenced will have the debuff removed. Having a bard or enchanter assigned to spam charm on this mob will effectively nullify his silence ability.

It's not an AE silence, it's multiple random targets on the hate list and it can be countered by charming the "a domicile defender." He will instantly break charm, but all targets that were silenced will have the debuff removed. Having a bard or enchanter assigned to spam charm on this mob will effectively nullify his silence ability.
that charm is a bitch, but yes, bards/chanters charm and locked mind (i think is the name) goes away.

Anyways, back to the group event, just to beat it, go in, go left, kick some ass... Ima try to burn off the top, because Sum pointed out, i dont know the group event at all.

that charm is a bitch, but yes, bards/chanters charm and locked mind (i think is the name) goes away.

Anyways, back to the group event, just to beat it, go in, go left, kick some ass... Ima try to burn off the top, because Sum pointed out, i dont know the group event at all.

lol, I think we're all still learning stuff here :) I did from this thread.

For the record, I redid this a couple of times over the bonus weekend and managed to get the 4th dragon dead just as the add was spawning. I ran my toons to the chest and watched as the add ran to where the 4th dragon died and just stood there (ae'ing us, but stood there and didn't auto-agro). I popped out and it auto-agrod on line of sight. I was swapping taskadds around, so I couldn't just open the chest to despawn it... although that would have been easiest.

So it's possible to do the entire thing without interacting at all with the add. The add pops at the same place you do when you zone into the mission. This is also where the cubes spawn.

i start at the NE dragon, clockwise. burn from second dragon on. typically only see 1 add.

for raids, we burn second dragon. you have roughly 2 1/2 min to down it to avoid adds during the events. normal guild DPS to accomplish this needs to be 32ish mill.

i start at the NE dragon, clockwise. burn from second dragon on. typically only see 1 add.

for raids, we burn second dragon. you have roughly 2 1/2 min to down it to avoid adds during the events. normal guild DPS to accomplish this needs to be 32ish mill.

I'm assuming you still don't see cubes, but just in case you do, the cubes come in from the south and ALWAYS go west first. That's why I start in west... so by the time cubes might start they would have to travel a really really long way before reaching me in the east. If you start in the NE and go clockwise it would seem more likely you'd have to mess with a cube (again, if your dps is high I think you'd still not see one).

I'm assuming you still don't see cubes, but just in case you do, the cubes come in from the south and ALWAYS go west first. That's why I start in west... so by the time cubes might start they would have to travel a really really long way before reaching me in the east. If you start in the NE and go clockwise it would seem more likely you'd have to mess with a cube (again, if your dps is high I think you'd still not see one).

i know they do, still not an issue. placing the dragons in the corners with the dragon statues makes a difference, killing speed, and durability. they all come into play.

Update: I went back and subbed my whole team. Switched out T3 gear and ToV type 5s, plus ab half of type 7s

Anyway, I smashed this mission on the first try. Don’t know if it was increased dps or gear that made the difference. So, yeah, it’s not too bad now

It’s interesting to me that at least 1 of the expansion missions was impossible without being subbed. Previously, I have been able to beat all expansion missions having all the group but the tank be F2P.

Then, you notice that the gulf between non prestige type 5s and type 7s continues to widen. I wonder if they will ever address this. Also, probably doesn’t matter as much for casters.

It’s interesting to me that at least 1 of the expansion missions was impossible without being subbed. Previously, I have been able to beat all expansion missions having all the group but the tank be F2P.

Then, you notice that the gulf between non prestige type 5s and type 7s continues to widen. I wonder if they will ever address this. Also, probably doesn’t matter as much for casters.
Gear disparity is probably their primary motivator to get people to go all-access. I doubt they have any plans to close the gap.

Discussion - The Crusaders - CoV Mission Sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back