• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

TERA, GW2, RIFT what's next big thing? (1 Viewer)

dupa

RedCents
541¢
What do you guys think? Which one of those games will be next big thing?
From what we know now my personal list of preference would be TERA, GW2, then RIFT with some doubts.

I have played TERA already (both FGT and Korean Closed Beta), and it's been the best experience i ever had in MMO. Every other game looks so pale after playing TERA.

btw. SWTOR combat looks so boring... i'm not even trying to get into the beta.

I think ill stay in WoW for now. Dunno if I will try anything else, but I might

- decker

Regardless of how the combat looks, I think SWTOR is going to be the next big thing. It's the only game so far to surpass WoWs budget and production time, plus it's Bioware/EA. If it doesn't fly by WoW, it will be really close in numbers.

Tera looks exactly like Lineage. Given that it's being developed by Koreans (I live in Korea and have Korean friends) and that it is very likely pretty much the same as Lineage or AION, then it'll never work worldwide (Lineage and AION have what used to be really incredible numbers for an MMO just from Asian players, but WOW changed what it means to be "successful" in an MMO.)

I don't think WoW changes what "Successful" means by far. If you measure almost all MMOs out there by WoW standards, then everything is a failure. But WoW did definitely set a new standard for what people expect out of MMO gameplay.

I totally agree that any other MMO measured by WoW is considered a "failure" and I think that the majority of consumers now feel like that too. It's sad, but true; and it's really screwing with the PC MMO game market.

I don't think WoW changes what "Successful" means by far. If you measure almost all MMOs out there by WoW standards, then everything is a failure. But WoW did definitely set a new standard for what people expect out of MMO gameplay.

WoW works for everyone. The endless grind, hand-holding, pvp whatever you need.

And it does not matter how shit your product is, if you provide what consumers want without any good alternative, it works.

I have so many friends, who I consider normal people, playing WoW. I just don't understand it. I played WoW at friends place for few hours, trying it out. Tried to start a new char and then did some pvp with his lvl 75 or whatever was max level then. I didn't like it at all. I think WoW is the ultimate shit. There are worse MMOs out there, but WoW is complete and utter piece of shit MMO. I have no fucking idea why people play it :) But they do! I guess it's just me and I'm wrong or I have weird taste in MMOs.

What do you guys think? Which one of those games will be next big thing?
From what we know now my personal list of preference would be TERA, GW2, then RIFT with some doubts.

I have played TERA already (both FGT and Korean Closed Beta), and it's been the best experience i ever had in MMO. Every other game looks so pale after playing TERA.

btw. SWTOR combat looks so boring... i'm not even trying to get into the beta.

I'll try GW2 and SWTOR. Maybe gonna give another try to Fallen Earth, they just had expansion out and improved game a lot.

Even everquest is still quite fun.

Tera will end up the same as Aion. Popular in Korea no doubt, but will lose interest rather quick outside the Asian market. Guild Wars wasn't anything to be proud of many gamers liked that there wasn't a subscription fee, but over all the game was lacking, so many gamers I know won't even give Guild Wars 2 a decent look, and I don't suspect it to do more than the original on the market.

In other words neither of these two are going to be major threats to WoW's current superiority in the MMO market. Currently I only see Rift being successful depending on if it launches with a finished product unlike so many MMORPG's recently. Rift Planes of Telara looks really promising, but so did Aion and Age of Conan. Even if Rift does launch in a finished state it may merely be successful taking a portion of the market larger than current contenders, but it would be hard to see any MMO take WoW's place.

That may take an incredibly fat wallet and large preexisting fan base. Though I don't really see how it would work in an MMO the WoW killer everyone's been waiting for maybe the Elder Scrolls MMO that's supposedly in the works. Like Blizzard thanks to their parent company Bethesda has the dough to develop an MMO and then some.

TERA, GW2, RIFT what's next big thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back