• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tip - /Target commands (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,303¢
Ok, this blew my mind today as I was playing around. I have been using MQ for a number of years and thought I knew a lot of the "Basics" and had no idea this would work.....

I was hunting namers and looking for place holders. You know there are typically 3 and you type /Tar "Name Here" and you target the closest one. With a map full of shit and hard to see, I was like What IF... I typed /Tar "Name Here" next BAM:doh:, it targeted the next one. So, I did it again and BAM:eyepop:it targeted the next one until there was no more. THEN, I was like Hmmm WHAT IF.. I typed , /tar "Name Here" prev and WHooaaa 😲 :rock:, it went backwards through the order.

Does anyone else have little hidden nuggets like this? I know a ton of you probably already knew this, but it blew my mind.

I imagine most know this, but you can also use part of the name. In a zone where several mobs/npc's have the same one or two words in them but the third one (Shar Vahl) is different, you can use /tar thirdname and BAM

It is a bad idea to /target something you can't see, so just take care that you're being smart
oh? Please share as I'm curious why. I often /tar an npc I need to go to when I enter a zone and use /nav target. Usually I see where they are on the map though (if not familiar with them) as I can see an imminent wipe if you don;t know the path LOL.

oh? Please share as I'm curious why. I often /tar an npc I need to go to when I enter a zone and use /nav target. Usually I see where they are on the map though (if not familiar with them) as I can see an imminent wipe if you don;t know the path LOL.
You should /nav spawn name and not target it until you get there.

When you target a mob, the server knows, and you get back information like buffs/debuffs, stuff you can't get from just spawn information.

Targeting it when you shouldn't/ couldn't clearly says "hey I'm using mq or something similar".

Native eq targeting doesn't allow you to target things after a certain distance

To open your mind a bit more, when typing the npc name you're performing something called a "spawn search" in macroquest. You've already combined these,

(anything not on the list)Any word that doesn't match an argument in this list will be considered a name
prevPrevious spawn matching the search criteria

try some more, like if you're in a city and aren't good with names, /mqtarget banker will target the nearest NPC banker regardless of name.

btw, macroquest's takeover of /target is deprecated, so if you're going to hotkey or script any of this you should use /mqtarget for future-proofing.

Last edited:
Tip - /Target commands

Users who are viewing this thread

Back