• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - System requirements to run a raid crew (1 Viewer)

RedCents
38¢
Just wondering what kind of system you'd need to run a raid crew. I saw an old post where an older dell server was talked about. What would you suggest?

any computer that is like not older than 5 years, and has buncha ram, your ram is the most important one.

Your question is a bit vague, what would you define as a 'raid crew'? You can beat lots of raids with like 24-30 characters -- which is going to have less requirements than running a full 54 man raid. How many characters are you wanting to run?

edit: Also what kind of graphics settings are you wanting to run? Are you okay with 20-30 background fps and everything turned down/off or do you want full clip plane and 120 background FPS etc.

any computer that is like not older than 5 years, and has buncha ram, your ram is the most important one.

Then how do I make my AMD ryzen 5 5600x Geforce rtx 3060, 32gb ram run more than 21? without capping out on CPU? Thats a "new" build its only 2 years old.

Your question is a bit vague, what would you define as a 'raid crew'? You can beat lots of raids with like 24-30 characters -- which is going to have less requirements than running a full 54 man raid. How many characters are you wanting to run?

edit: Also what kind of graphics settings are you wanting to run? Are you okay with 20-30 background fps and everything turned down/off or do you want full clip plane and 120 background FPS etc.

54 is raid size
thats the amount i would always plan for if looking into the work thats required to build a raidforce.
If you get by with less chars, you have a performance reserve you might be happy about next time something gets changed.

If i go for the mentioned 5950 cpu and 128gb ram ... what grafic card (grafic memory) would i still need to run that. 4 gb? 8gb?

I've found that hardware requirements changed significantly after the Dx11 patch. I've gone from 3 pc's to 4 with a combined total of 576 GB Ram and still have issues with lag causing missed emotes.

The easiest solution is just add another pc to lighten the load.

Just wondering what kind of system you'd need to run a raid crew. I saw an old post where an older dell server was talked about. What would you suggest?

As others have stated the requirements are going to vary a lot.

As a rule of thumb you want to have:
- 1.5 GB of ram per EQ client
~ 30-60% of a CPU code/thread per client.
- as much GPU as you can reasonably afford.

Hardware is only one part of the equation though. There are a lot of settings you can tweak in the EQ client and MQ frame limiter that will impact the amount of CPU/GPU resources each client needs. Some of those settings lead to visual artifacts as a result of the DX9 to DX11 conversion.

With that said: In 2020 as the pandemic was starting to lock things down, I ordered my "dream" machine. At the time it cost $2200 which was a lot more than what I normally spend on a computer. Out of the box it was able to run 20+ and with tweaking I got it 40+. I haven't pushed it that hard since the DX9-DX11 upgrade because I normally top out at 24-30.

The machine specs:
CPU: AMD 3950x = 16 core/32 thread @ 3.5 ghz.
GPU Nvidia 2070 which has 8 GB of video ram
RAM: 64 GB

If I was building a machine to run a raid I'd go with 5950X and as much GPU as you can afford. Avoid the AM5 platform. Its more expensive and doesn't give you as much value.

I don't think my motherboard fits anything bigger than what I have: MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4, I could be wrong as I'm not tech savvy by any means I just know how to put shit together haha

The MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI is an AM4 motherboard. It should be able to run any of the AM4 CPU's so you could move from your 3600X to any 3XXX series CPU. The catch is going to be your case/cooling.

The 5600X is 6 core/12 thread @ 3.7 Ghz with a 65W TDP
The 5950X is 16 core/32 thread @ 3.4 Ghz with a 105W TDP

You really want a good "breathable" case/fan setup to keep things cool while under load.

I personally prefer a good air cooler over the all in one water loops. I was an early adopter and had some at work fail and take out components ( rare but ... )

54 is raid size
thats the amount i would always plan for if looking into the work thats required to build a raidforce.

As szazor said, you many not be able to run an entire 54 team from a single computer, with out going to extreme measures. ie. server based hardware like multi CPU motherboards, ie. ThreadRipper, Eypic, Xeon levels which gets super expensive.

If it were me I'd go for: mix of "value" and performance

CPU: AMD 5950x
RAM: 128 GB
GPU: 4080 super

I suspect you're going to hit a bottle neck around 40+ but I don't have any real data to prove that.

Last edited:
its not a race...so just add a second group......and a third and then start thinking seriously about raid makeup. then add the rest until your adding a 9th group.

you will be able to see the point where your hardware just breaks.....so just back off at that point and either get another pc or update.

Its not exactly a sane hobby to try and organise 54 toons...or 128....

Thank God for Red Guides.

The MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI is an AM4 motherboard. It should be able to run any of the AM4 CPU's so you could move from your 3600X to any 3XXX series CPU. The catch is going to be your case/cooling.

The 5600X is 6 core/12 thread @ 3.7 Ghz with a 65W TDP
The 5950X is 16 core/32 thread @ 3.4 Ghz with a 105W TDP

You really want a good "breathable" case/fan setup to keep things cool while under load.

I personally prefer a good air cooler over the all in one water loops. I was an early adopter and had some at work fail and take out components ( rare but ... )

My big thing was just trying to bump up to 36 toons, I have 2 PCs (1 is just complete garbage and runs 6 toons is all) other is my big build. Will look into it Thanks!

Not requirements per se, but you should also limit logging to a single character for raids.

Turn off logging:
/dgga /log off

# or alternatively

/dgae /log off

# You should have logging turned on somewhere for one toon
/log on

# The /log command will TOGGLE logging; ie turn off if on, or turn on if off
/log

Just window shopping ... $1520

This is by no means a recommendation for the parts. I didn't do any real parts checking.

CPU: AMD 5950X for $375 -- This is a steal for a 16 core/32 thread CPU
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 4070 for $420 -- This is a 12 GB model. Best bang for the buck.

GPU's are still stupid expensive at the top end. Probably want to go with 16 GB model but that almost doubles the price of the card, at which point may as well go with the 4080 ~ $1000+ which is just crazy.

1. use framelimiter.
2. do not use old mq2fps, mq2cpuload.
3. run through fanras optimization guide, make sure to pick what would be the lowest memory settings.
4. limit logging, do you really need logging?
5. consider at least 1.2gb of ram pr toon.

Before dx11 I was running 54 with two machines in a raid setting

I7-5930
64 gb of ram
Gtx970

I7-octa core (not home where I can check exact chip)
64 gb of ram
Gtx970

Haven’t had the time to raid the last few months so haven’t tested post dx11 update but have been able to load them all fully with minimal lag into the hall still.

I got 7950x and 7900xt with 64gb of ram right now. Run 48 in raid pretty comfortably. A few clients do get choppy after a few hours but I just need to restart those clients and they’re good to go again.

Personally I run 54 characters on 2 computers, my main pc runs ~40+- and my old secondary pc runs the rest.

Main pc is an i7-13700F, 96gb ram and a 3060 with..12? gb memory

Old pc is an i5-8600k with 32gb ram and whatever gpu.

Honestly I don't think ram is as important as people have suggested in this thread, I can actually run 54 characters on my main pc with optimized settings and task manager only shows about ~40-50% of my ram being used (maybe this is the wrong way of checking, not sure). Cpu seems to be the biggest bottleneck from my experience. But my honest advice to anyone trying to get into raid boxing would be to just aim for 30 characters first, that allows you to do the easier raids and it is a lot less of a commitment. There is a fairly significant step up in challenge when you want to do more than just the two T1 raids in LS.

Personally I run 54 characters on 2 computers, my main pc runs ~40+- and my old secondary pc runs the rest.

Main pc is an i7-13700F, 96gb ram and a 3060 with..12? gb memory

Old pc is an i5-8600k with 32gb ram and whatever gpu.

Honestly I don't think ram is as important as people have suggested in this thread, I can actually run 54 characters on my main pc with optimized settings and task manager only shows about ~40-50% of my ram being used (maybe this is the wrong way of checking, not sure). Cpu seems to be the biggest bottleneck from my experience. But my honest advice to anyone trying to get into raid boxing would be to just aim for 30 characters first, that allows you to do the easier raids and it is a lot less of a commitment. There is a fairly significant step up in challenge when you want to do more than just the two T1 raids in LS.

Interesting 30 is enough for T1 LS ?

Hmmm only need 12 more......

Edit - and I just realized free heroic for another 12 days hmm…..

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think ram is as important as people have suggested in this thread
You literally mention that the rig you have 54 characters running is 96GB. This after it was mentioned earlier to expect 1.2GB per character in ram. So, yes, I would expect you to be fine.

I have 32GB and while I'm still trying to cut it down I'm currently about 1.4-1.5GB per character (before using RaMMap), so running 18 characters pushes me close.

Did you read my entire post? I specifically said that I don't even use half of that ram with 50+ chars loaded.
This is what the taskbar tells me, might not be the best way to determine actual ram use :shrug:

Attachments

• ramuseidk.png
    ramuseidk.png
    31 KB · Views: 0
EQ is a legacy game it requires ram and cpu power. i would hazard a guess it might run on an old nvidia 710. an old server fits this bill, lots of ram and cpu power

Even if you can load and run 54+ toons in group game, in a raid format where they are all compressed into one space there are other factors that come into play. For example, I run 1 toon off a separate directory that allows me to capture all the data and have logs to parse through/check/analyze. The rest of the toons on that rig all run off another directory that has literally every filter not required turned off, same on my second rig.

IRL - System requirements to run a raid crew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back